Rivals ranking update August 2018 (Auburn 5* Bump Edition)

ellitor

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Apparently I was too quick to offer praise. Seems your work, while fast, wasn't accurate. I recommend that next time you take four minutes instead of two. That should let your findings have a better chance of being correct.

And yet, we still had 2 classes in just the last 5 years with multiple 5*s, while you said we had none. 

Man, you spend a lot of time being wrong. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And since we're still talking about it, @ellitor and @Mikey, I'm super comfortable with my prior post. Both were 5* recruits. 

Duke
Ranking: 
247 (5-star, #1 JUCO WR) | Rivals (5-star, #1 JUCO WR) | Scout (5-star, #1 JUCO WR) | ESPN (4-star, #1 JUCO WR) | Hudl Highlights

Jovon
Ranking:
 247 (5-star, #2 JUCO RB) | Rivals (5-star, #1 JUCO RB) | Scout (5-star, #1 JUCO RB) | ESPN (4-star, #1 JUCO RB) | Hudl Highlights

24/7 updates on rankings for our guys and targets

Jadon Haselwood up eights spots from 11 to 3

Owen Papoe stayed at 10

Nakobe Dean up 5 from 20 to 15

Clay Webb up a whopping 27 spots from 47 to 20

George Pickens up 12 from 52 to 40 and still a 4* on their composite

Bo Nix up an insane 54 spots from 98 to 44 and still 4* on their composite

Zion Puckett up 49 spots from 155 to 104

Jaren Handy down 31 spots from 78 to 109

Keiondre Jones up 69 spots from 207 to 138

Mohamoud Diabate down 88 spots from 56 to 144

JALEN CURRY UP 354 SPOTS from 508 to 154

Jashawn Sheffield up 2 spots from 172 to 170

Derick Hall down 81 from 119 to 190

Derrian Brown up 114 from 345 to 231

Not complete but a teaser at least lol

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

And since we're still talking about it, @ellitor and @Mikey, I'm super comfortable with my prior post. Both were 5* recruits. 

Duke
Ranking: 
247 (5-star, #1 JUCO WR) | Rivals (5-star, #1 JUCO WR) | Scout (5-star, #1 JUCO WR) | ESPN (4-star, #1 JUCO WR) | Hudl Highlights

Jovon
Ranking:
 247 (5-star, #2 JUCO RB) | Rivals (5-star, #1 JUCO RB) | Scout (5-star, #1 JUCO RB) | ESPN (4-star, #1 JUCO RB) | Hudl Highlights

They were five stars at one time but they did not end up a five star on the composition when the class ended. For whatever reason WEAU Never updated some parts of the rankings for some of our class in those links. Factually speaking since 247 owns the composite their class links are the only ones that can be used as evidence unless someone states they are using 247 only, ESPN, or Rivaks and provide their site class link. The composite is the standard for our site (And everywhere else for that matter except for ESPN and Rivals.) unless someone states specifically  different for their own self. This will be my last post on it.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

They were five stars at one time but they did not end up a five star on the composition when the class ended. For whatever reason WEAU Never updated some parts of the rankings for some of our class in those links. Factually speaking since 247 owns the composite their class links are the only ones that can be used as evidence unless someone states they are using 247 only, ESPN, or Rivaks and provide their site class link. The composite is the standard for our site (And everywhere else for that matter except for ESPN and Rivals.) unless someone states specifically  different for their own self. This will be my last post on it.

Fair enough. Apologies for the side track.

I'm super excited about just about all of our 3* guys, but let's hope one or two of those Rivals 5*s in this class become composite 5*s. It's just more fun that way.

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Owen Papoe stayed at 10

What due respect @Zeek This is a bit of a jumbled mess. On some recruits you are combining 247 only ranking with the composite ranking but expressing them as the same ranking. For example, George Pickens is still number 52 in 247 only rankings. He moved up from 43 to 40 on the composite because of the rivals update  this week.  When you go to their profile pages remember the 247 only score and rating is below the composite rating. Bo is still number 98 on 247 only. He’s moved in the composite from 46 to 44 because rivals bumped him from 39 to 27 on their rankings this week. I’ll address and fix The rest when I get my computer, hopefully today.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What due respect @Zeek This is a bit of a jumbled mess. On some recruits you are combining 247 only ranking with the composite ranking but expressing them as the same ranking. For example, George Pickens is still number 52 in 247 only rankings. He moved up from 43 to 40 on the composite because of the rivals update  this week.  When you go to their profile pages remember the 247 only score and rating is below the composite rating. Bo is still number 98 on 247 only. He’s moved in the composite from 46 to 44 because rivals bumped him from 39 to 27 on their rankings this week. I’ll address and fix The rest when I get my computer, hopefully today.

My bad :flame:burn it and start over lol

I was trying to look at all of it on my phone last night so I don't doubt at all that I messed up.

23 hours ago, DAG said:

Really?  You know how dang hard it is to get a 5 star player in any position? That is top,top,top tier status. 5 stars don't come very often and I hate to say it, but AU isn't a blue blood type of school like tOSU, Bama, ND, etc. Usually, if we do get a 5 star, we have to jump on them early or one of our coaches have had a very unique relationship with them E.G. Kiehl Frazier.  So, I will blatantly say people who are upset about this need to chill the heck out. 5-star players don't grow on trees. They are a rarity and every freaking school in the US is vying for their attention. Be freaking blessed, if we are in the discussion to land one, TBH. This goes for most schools, BTW who aren't blue blood type. A prime example was Ryan Mallett. He originally went to Michigan but came back to Arkansas because he actually grew up in Texarkana. Now, Auburn clearly isn't on the tier of Arkansas, but we aren't on the national level of these other schools either, this is including Clemson now.  

One more thing: From a DB standpoint, why would you choose AU at this point? We don't have this huge history of putting tons of DBs in the NFL. At least not recently. If they do go, they either get drafted late or get an undrafted contract. You got to have a perspective on these things. Florida, LSU, Alabama, FSU, tOSU...those schools always probably have an upper hand on us in the DB department until we prove otherwise on the field. Again, there are always outliers, specifically, if you do have a pipeline to these type of players.

I agree with some of this, but other parts are not true. Carlton Davis just went as one of the higher drafted CBs in the draft, and Javaris Davis is going to go pretty high barring a bad injury of some sort. Rudy Ford was also drafted very recently. Although it was pretty late, he was a running back that our coaches were able to coach up at safety to NFL Draft talent. I believe Blake Countess and Josh Holsey were  also taken in the 6th and 7th rounds in 2016 and 2017 respectively. 

Although this is to your point, because these three guys were taken kind of late, the last DB that was drafted from AU before these guys was Walter McFadden back in the 2010 NFL Draft. 

To me, this shows improvement in our coaching of defensive backs, and even looking at some of the guys that are going to be projected to go in next year's draft does this as well. If an Auburn DB goes this year, it will be the fourth year in a row that Auburn has put a defensive back in the NFL through the draft. While it's not 1st round talent, every single year, it is certainly something that not many programs can say they have done the past four years. 

27 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I agree with some of this, but other parts are not true. Carlton Davis just went as one of the higher drafted CBs in the draft, and Javaris Davis is going to go pretty high barring a bad injury of some sort. Rudy Ford was also drafted very recently. Although it was pretty late, he was a running back that our coaches were able to coach up at safety to NFL Draft talent. I believe Blake Countess and Josh Holsey were  also taken in the 6th and 7th rounds in 2016 and 2017 respectively. 

Although this is to your point, because these three guys were taken kind of late, the last DB that was drafted from AU before these guys was Walter McFadden back in the 2010 NFL Draft. 

To me, this shows improvement in our coaching of defensive backs, and even looking at some of the guys that are going to be projected to go in next year's draft does this as well. If an Auburn DB goes this year, it will be the fourth year in a row that Auburn has put a defensive back in the NFL through the draft. While it's not 1st round talent, every single year, it is certainly something that not many programs can say they have done the past four years. 

What did I say that was a falsehood? You legitimately named 1 guy from AU in went in the first two rounds and that was recently. Prior to that was in 2008, which was Pat Lee. That is a ten year stretch haha. LSU has put 6 guys who went in the first two rounds since that time ( 4 who went in the first). Florida has put in 5 ( 2 who went in the first round), Alabama has put in 9 (5 in the first round). 

Mind you of this list above , I am only counting the 1st and 2nd round guys. I am not even considering the guys drafted below these rounds. 

Again, let’s get back to perspective. We aren’t talking about most schools. We are talking about schools that position themselves to attract 5 star caliber players. If you are a 5 star recruit and you see that success vs our success, who will you be more aligned to choose from? Like I said previously, unless we have a major pipeline or a special relationship with that player, it will be hard to pull TOP Tier players from the DB department until we CONSISTENTLY prove we can do it on the field. I mean what are we really talking about here ? Lol

1 minute ago, DAG said:

What did I say that was a falsehood? You legitimately named 1 guy from AU in went in the first two rounds and that was recently. Prior to that was in 2008, which was Pat Lee. That is a ten year stretch haha. LSU has putting 6 guys who went in the first two rounds since that time ( 4 who went in the first). Florida has put in 5 ( 2 who went in the first round), Alabama has put in 9 (5 in the first round). 

Again, let’s get back to perspective. If you are a 5 star recruit and you see that success vs our success, who will you be more aligned to choose from? Like I said previously, unless we have a major pipeline or a special relationship with that player, it will be hard to pull TOP Tier players from the DB department until we CONSISTENTLY prove we can do it on the field. I mean what are we really talking about here ? Lol

What I'm saying is that it's getting better. We're starting to get guys drafted every year now instead of just 1 or two every few years. Although it isn't at the level that some other programs are, don't count out the fact that the talent we are bringing in, and then putting in the league is improving. I agree with you about the fact that 5* players are real, but your post, to me, sounded like there was no reason at all for a DB to choose Auburn, because we had no visible proof we could put guys in the league. I'm saying I think that aspect is improving as we speak, and that we are not totally void of DB talent.

I think you guys actually agree. And I agree with you both, also, lol.

It's true. Auburn fans don't need to get their feelings hurt that we haven't been pulling 5* DBs. It only makes sense.

5 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

What I'm saying is that it's getting better. We're starting to get guys drafted every year now instead of just 1 or two every few years. Although it isn't at the level that some other programs are, don't count out the fact that the talent we are bringing in, and then putting in the league is improving. I agree with you about the fact that 5* players are real, but your post, to me, sounded like there was no reason at all for a DB to choose Auburn, because we had no visible proof we could put guys in the league. I'm saying I think that aspect is improving as we speak, and that we are not totally void of DB talent.

For a DB? Never said . For a 5 STAR DB.  Yes, you will have to put in 100x more work to prove to them why they have to choose AU over 3 other schools who has no problem placing DBs in the first round. 

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think you guys actually agree. And I agree with you both, also, lol.

It's true. Auburn fans don't need to get their feelings hurt that we haven't been pulling 5* DBs. It only makes sense.

I love a 5* as much as the next guy but it's understandable when we don't get one. Right now I'm really aching for a stud RB regardless of stars. It's odd that such a good place for RBs hasn't seemed to be able to pick anyone up yet this year and I'm not sure who we even lead for at the position.

Some might have been very encouraged by Pappoe and Nix. It doesn't seem like it's going to be the overall class, based of recruiting sites rankings, that some were hoping for when our momentum initially started for this class. I do, however, believe that the current group of kids put us in top 5 range based off our own coaches' evaluations; assuming of course we fill the remainder of our spots with wants and not settles.

Lord knows I feel guilty for guessing but I think we might finish somewhere between 20-22. It seems like Graduate Transfers are really changing the recruiting game.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

What did I say that was a falsehood? You legitimately named 1 guy from AU in went in the first two rounds and that was recently. Prior to that was in 2008, which was Pat Lee. That is a ten year stretch haha. LSU has put 6 guys who went in the first two rounds since that time ( 4 who went in the first). Florida has put in 5 ( 2 who went in the first round), Alabama has put in 9 (5 in the first round). 

Mind you of this list above , I am only counting the 1st and 2nd round guys. I am not even considering the guys drafted below these rounds. 

Again, let’s get back to perspective. We aren’t talking about most schools. We are talking about schools that position themselves to attract 5 star caliber players. If you are a 5 star recruit and you see that success vs our success, who will you be more aligned to choose from? Like I said previously, unless we have a major pipeline or a special relationship with that player, it will be hard to pull TOP Tier players from the DB department until we CONSISTENTLY prove we can do it on the field. I mean what are we really talking about here ? Lol

Therezie went when?

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

I love a 5* as much as the next guy but it's understandable when we don't get one. Right now I'm really aching for a stud RB regardless of stars. It's odd that such a good place for RBs hasn't seemed to be able to pick anyone up yet this year and I'm not sure who we even lead for at the position.

Some might have been very encouraged by Pappoe and Nix. It doesn't seem like it's going to be the overall class, based of recruiting sites rankings, that some were hoping for when our momentum initially started for this class. I do, however, believe that the current group of kids put us in top 5 range based off our own coaches' evaluations; assuming of course we fill the remainder of our spots with wants and not settles.

Lord knows I feel guilty for guessing but I think we might finish somewhere between 20-22. It seems like Graduate Transfers are really changing the recruiting game.

I can see why it's tough to pull a stud RB this year.  There's four scholarship underclassmen on the roster who were all heavily recruited, three of which are freshmen.  Not gonna be too many opportunities for carries in the near future.

Also, we have three 5 stars committed in the incoming class, along with some very highly rated 4 stars.  There's no chance of finishing 20-22.  Top 10 easily.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I can see why it's tough to pull a stud RB this year.  There's four scholarship underclassmen on the roster who were all heavily recruited, three of which are freshmen.  Not gonna be too many opportunities for carries in the near future.

Also, we have three 5 stars committed in the incoming class, along with some very highly rated 4 stars.  There's no chance of finishing 20-22.  Top 10 easily.

Sorry, 20-22 commits not ranking lol

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And yet, we still had 2 classes in just the last 5 years with multiple 5*s, while you said we had none. 

Man, you spend a lot of time being wrong. 

Quoting myself: "There may have been a year when we signed 2 five stars in the same class, but I don't recall when that was. I'm speaking composite 5* guys."

Can't you read?  Explanation for the simple minded, "I don't recall" and "we had none" are not the same statement, they are different. 

13 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

So, I expect that when 247 does their own reranking we’ll see Bo and George get their 5th star in the composite.   

247 did their Summer ranking a few weeks ago. The next time they do rankings will be before the All Star games. 247 is not holding George back much, ESPN is. He is #95 there & needs a combined 32 spot jump from any of the sites to be a composite 5*. 247 is holding Bo back & he will not get a composite 5th* from their next ranking because lead evaluator Barton Simmons is not sold on him. Bo is going to have to beat Spencer Rattler head to head at Under Armour All Star week in January to get a 5th *. He needs a combined 48 spot jump from the sites FTR.

Personally, I'm not overly concerned with who we get as 5 stars. I mean, sure, it's nice, and I want as many of our guys as possible to be ranked as highly as possible, if only for appearances. 

That said, football is about more than recruiting stars, and I want guys who play like 5 stars, whether they're listed as such or not. Of those years Loof mentioned, only 2013 is really all that viable, because that was the only year with more than one 5 star that panned out. Mikey has seen a ton of Auburn football (he was right there beside Golf and Noah on the Ark, I believe), and recruiting rankings have really only been around during this century, so it's kinda easy to give him a pass. Also, I'll give him credit because he was the one harping about how Tre Williams would have been starting at LB in 2013, when Williams was still a senior in high school. But if only three out of seven 5 stars are going to pan out at Auburn, then give me 3 and 4 stars who will outwork the 5 stars. 

And I think that was more to Mikey's point: Auburn may not be a blue blood school that is going to sign multiple 5 stars most years, but we've had some pretty darned good teams made up of those 3 and 4 stars. Just because SPUAT is signing them in record numbers since Saban arrived doesn't mean we won't bloody their nose in years we put it together (fun fact: Little Nicky is 0-7 against Auburn teams that won 9 games or more), and we shouldn't be so upset when the guys we think are 5 star talents don't end up as 5 stars in the composite rankings. I'm tickled silly that we have Nix and Pickens committed, and I couldn't care less if they get the ratings bumps that will make them 5 stars. Recruiting rankings are just like preseason rankings: they really only matter until the first snap of the season. After that, it's about what is done on the field.

21 hours ago, Zeek said:

Owen Papoe stayed at 10

What continues to intrigue me about this whole system, is all of this movement is based on how they looked in a camp in shorts and t-shirts. 

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Mikey has seen a ton of Auburn football (he was right there beside Golf and Noah on the Ark, I believe).

I can remember listening to Gary Sanders call out the names of Auburn signees during halftime of AU basketball games. That and maybe a small blurb in the next day's newspaper was all the recruiting info you'd get publicly. Signing day used to be the second week in December. It was pretty exciting, three of us students huddled around a radio when Sullivan and Beasley's names were called out.

If you learned more than that, you had to have one or more friends on the staff, or at least know somebody that did. Coach Jordan's DB coach Sam Mitchell was my go-to guy for recruiting info back in the day.

40 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

What continues to intrigue me about this whole system, is all of this movement is based on how they looked in a camp in shorts and t-shirts. 

That’s all they can evaluate the past 5-6 months For these guys. They had already evaluated  The junior film on most if not all of the guys Who participated on the camp circuit. Changes in rankings the past five or six months has been due to the camp circuit and rating new guys  they hadn’t seen Junior film of yet.

Archived