Two running backs separated from pack!

toddc

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-Tigers-running-backs-Kam-Martin-JaTarvious-Whitlow-would-share-load-if-season-started-today-120741457/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=180816_133744_Auburn Tigers&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=99-FD-B8-99-12-20-A9-E2-F9-3F-82-B8-8B-2F-6B-53180816_133744AuburnTigers

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn will rotate running backs this season, and the top two players have emerged in preseason camp.

Junior Kam Martin and redshirt freshman JaTarvious Whitlow are set to be the first two running backs on the field when the No. 10 Tigers open the season Sept. 1 against No. 6 Washington, Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton said Thursday.

Martin has the most experience among the seven running backs competing for playing time and Whitlow might be the most complete tailback as a blocker, runner and pass catcher after spinning his high school career as a dual-threat quarterback at nearby Lafayette.

Questions remain, however, whether one of the players will step up and be the “bellcow,” the player who can carry the ball 25 to 30 times a game. Martin especially prompts questions about durability at 193 pounds.

“ Obviously it kind still remains to be seen if he can be that bellcow like we’ve had the last few years,” Horton said. “Obviously we would prefer not to have to have just one guy to kinda hang the bell on. And I think this will be a year where we don’t do that, much like the last couple of years, we really wanted to be two or three guys but because of injuries it got to one. We’re going into it very optimistic it can be three guys, maybe four guys, that can maybe do it a little more of the committee role as opposed to one guy.”

Still, the top two players are clearly Whitlow and Martin, Horton said.

*** Try us FOR FREE for 7 days and get the latest Auburn recruiting and team scoops ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

Whitlow is the best pass blocker among the running backs, which could provide him an edge as he’s also the bigger player of the two at 6-foot, 216 pounds.

“Whitlow enjoys that part of the game a lot,” Horton said. “He loves that part of the game and he’s probably been, from a physical standpoint, he’s been the best one we’ve had. He’s a really competitive kid. Sometimes when we do drills against the defense in practice, most of our guys are pretty quiet and pretty reserved, but ol’ Whitlow, he’s gonna have a lot of enthusiasm.”

Horton referred to both Martin and Whitlow as “every-down” running backs. There will not be situational plays in which one is replaced with the other because of a perceived weakness.

“They can play in every situation and we’re not going to take this one out because he can’t catch as well, take this one out because he can’t block as well,” Horton said. “They would be in there for any situation.”

Meanwhile, freshmen Asa Martin and Shaun Shivers are in position to play this season as well. Shivers, at only 5-foot-7 and 173 pounds, is incredibly explosive and is strong enough to run between the tackles. He scored on a 40-yard touchdown run in the Tigers’ second scrimmage of preseason camp Wednesday.

After I saw the 2nd scrimmage results I had a feeling it was going to be whitlow but wanted to wait for someone to out the persons responsible for the fumbles yesterday before committing to that conclusion. He has scored multiple TDs in our scrimmages since spring. WDEWDE is usually right  on his inside info so I've been cautious to believe Whitlow would be 2nd man in line. 

Was hoping Asa would show out. Not particularly sold on Whitlow still. But hey, the only time I ever worried about an Auburn RB was when Tre Mason got his first starting role and I thought he wasn't big enough to be an every down back.

I don’t think this is a surprise.  Asa will get plenty of carries in mop up duty.  Gotta feel bad for Malik.  Dude can’t stay healthy.

I hate it for Malik as well.  Ever since he stepped on campus I hoped he would get an opportunity to shine.

21 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t think this is a surprise.  Asa will get plenty of carries in mop up duty.  Gotta feel bad for Malik.  Dude can’t stay healthy.

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I hate it for Malik as well.  Ever since he stepped on campus I hoped he would get an opportunity to shine.

Agreed. And it's such a shame because he was a really good high school RB who put in the work on his own to lose 20 lbs before he even got to Auburn. Everyone assumed he was going to be an HBack. Nobody really gave him a chance and he's had such a hard time getting the chance to prove folks wrong. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. And it's such a shame because he was a really good high school RB who put in the work on his own to lose 20 lbs before he even got to Auburn. Everyone assumed he was going to be an HBack. Nobody really gave him a chance and he's had such a hard time getting the chance to prove folks wrong. 

There is still time though.  Peyton Barber did it and now he is a projected starting NFL RB.  

Whitlow must be dizzy after spinning his High School career as a dual threat QB. Whitlow's pass blocking will eventually give him an edge though if everything else is even. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Everyone assumed he was going to be an HBack.

And that's still where I think he is best suited and will end up if he gets on the field. JMHO

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Was hoping Asa would show out. Not particularly sold on Whitlow still. But hey, the only time I ever worried about an Auburn RB was when Tre Mason got his first starting role and I thought he wasn't big enough to be an every down back.

Just curious, how many practices have you watched? Or is this a totally unfounded "hunch"? He's been stepping up since spring.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Funny how perception can swing on a dime.

Exciting stuff. Can't remember a "lightning & lightning" combo like this since... um... help?

James & Joe, watch'em go! I say James & Joe, watch'em go!

1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

After I saw the 2nd scrimmage results I had a feeling it was going to be whitlow but wanted to wait for someone to out the persons responsible for the fumbles yesterday before committing to that conclusion. He has scored multiple TDs in our scrimmages since spring. WDEWDE is usually right  on his inside info so I've been cautious to believe Whitlow would be 2nd man in line. 

Welp, apparently even with one of the fumbles Whitlow has still separated from the pack. On another note, Asa and Worm have no fumbles all fall camp according to Horton. Thats pretty promising. 

So Whitlow goes from "not being a factor at all" and "the worst pass blocker" to an everydown back who is the best pass blocker. I guess I'll say I'm glad he made these vast changes.I'm ready to see our players Sep.1 and judge for myself.

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:
2 hours ago, alexava said:

Where’s Bigbird?

Right here, why?

We just like to keep tabs on you ?

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So I read this and basically what it's saying in Gus era speak is Asa will start week 3 and rush for 1300 yards. Got it. 

I disagree, but that would be fine with me ?

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I disagree, but that would be fine with me ?

I'm just kidding. Still referencing Peyton Barber and Bubba Pettway coming out of nowhere and being the leading rushers.

Archived