Sling TV

TexasTiger

I have a friend that uses it on his fire stick. Ive seen it a good bit. It may take a little getting used to the format, but once you have it down, its actually much better than the format that the bigger companies use..... in every way except one. ...You cant really channel surf. I didnt realize how much I liked to do that before I messed with Sling . I  tend to stumble on all kinds of things on TV based on the little sample you get from surfing.  Sling, you just see the station, and the name of whats on,  so I think I would kinda feel I would be missing out on alot of good stuff! The picture quality is good, no problems there. I think they have like a 7 day free trial to sample it out. At least they used to anyways. Hope this helps!

I have used sling for 2 years now.  It can take a little getting used to, but I love it.  I joined because it was a way to get ESPN and SEC network for watching college football for only $25 at the time.  It was a $20 basic package with $5 add on for sports package. The next summer,  Sling expanded with a 2nd package that included the Fox and NBC cable networks which I joined as a Beta test for cheaper. Once they went live it was $5 more but mine stayed the same as a reward for trying it.  

Basically Disney, which owns ABC and ESPN, only allow 1 stream of their channels at a time. The new package allows 3 streams.  The new package was $25 once it was live or you could purchase both. I can still only watch on 1 device for any of the Disney networks, including ESPN, but any of the other channels can watch on up to 3. So of course I got my girls hooked on Nick Jr instead of Disney.  It allows me to watch whatever sports I want to on my phone while the girls watch cartoons.  Everyone is happy :)

That long story leads to this.  While the packages have since gone up, my price has stayed the same as long as I do not change subscription.  I still only pay $50 for both packages, kids add on, and sports add on. Now that would cost me $55-60. I think that is pretty cool of them. 

You also have shows on demand for a lot of the channels for at least a few days from airing.  They also add channels regularly without adding to your price if you are locked in. 

My only complaint is the regional Fox network they gave me here in Lafayette LA is the Dallas region, when I am closer and would prefer the Houston region.  Houston also has some local network channels like ABC NBC and FOX. 

All in all, this works well for my family. I watch on my Roku on the main TV.  I have no reason to change.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:15 PM, TexasTiger said:

Has anyone tried it? Like it? Experience? Thanks.

I have it. It’s nice and dependable if your internet is fast enough. I switched over to YouTube Tv for sports season though.

I am trying out Spectrum steaming. I have “smart” TVs but they don’t have the Spectrum app so I hooked a Roku (which has the Spectrum app)to them. Streams my local channels as well as ESPN, SEC Network, PAC 12 network, and about 20 other “basic” (USA, TNT, History...etc) channels on a 300 mbps WiFi signal for about $85 a month. I like it so far and it is much cheaper than what I was paying AT&T for U-Verse. 

20 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I am trying out Spectrum steaming. I have “smart” TVs but they don’t have the Spectrum app so I hooked a Roku (which has the Spectrum app)to them. Streams my local channels as well as ESPN, SEC Network, PAC 12 network, and about 20 other “basic” (USA, TNT, History...etc) channels on a 300 mbps WiFi signal for about $85 a month. I like it so far and it is much cheaper than what I was paying AT&T for U-Verse. 

I was using Spectrum along with sling to get the local channels. Should warn you they had a lot of technical problems last NFL football season. I sent them couple “get your crap working” tweets last year as did many others from my area.

59 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I was using Spectrum along with sling to get the local channels. Should warn you they had a lot of technical problems last NFL football season. I sent them couple “get your crap working” tweets last year as did many others from my area.

Was it with the NFL Network or the games broadcast on local television?

46 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Was it with the NFL Network or the games broadcast on local television?

I dont know. I guess it was Spectrum. On the app menu (home page) on my Roku, whenever I clicked on the Spectrum app, the whole app wouldn’t load and would give me an error message. And it happened at least three times and took hours and hours for them to fix it. My sling TV/ Netflix apps still worked though.

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I have it. It’s nice and dependable if your internet is fast enough. I switched over to YouTube Tv for sports season though.

How does the YouTube carry sports?

9 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

How does the YouTube carry sports?

It is tbe live sports TV King imo. Just download YouTube TV onto your Roku when CFB starts, use your one week free trial and see for your self.  You may like it.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to try SlingTV after I was over Comcast continually increasing my bill and their lack of customer service. I really don’t watch TV except for sports. 

It takes a while to get used to the format, but I enjoyed. I missed having the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX), so i have recently switched to Hulu. A little lower price, still get all of my sports channels and now get network tv. 

I could have used an antenna for all my TVs but reception is still not very good at my house, so Hulu is really working well for me. 

The good thing is...there is no contract, so if you don’t like it, it’s easy to cancel :)

• 1 year later...

So I figured Id bump this to see what everyone is using today and what they think of it now. Im thinking about going to either playstation vue or youtube TV.   Has anyone messed with either one? If so, what do you think? 

Archived