2018 Fall Camp - Final Scrimmage

RunInRed

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been quite a while since we had our QB1/QB2 issue figured out this early. 

This team almost feels complete to me. And I wasn't expecting that to happen at all. But, I sure didn't expect the 2013 Team / Season to be the juggernaut it was.

6 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Interesting that Gus brings up depth at RB.  We have had depth but he has rarely used the 2 and almost never the 3. 

Yes.  he brings up the dreaded words when talking about Kam Martin.  We finally feel like we can TRUST him.  dude is killing me with TRUST issues.  Let these young guys play before they are Juniors.

6 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Yes.  he brings up the dreaded words when talking about Kam Martin.  We finally feel like we can TRUST him.  dude is killing me with TRUST issues.  Let these young guys play before they are Juniors.

Yes. They have to know that they can make a mistake and survive. They can't make the same mistake over and over mind you, but they cannot be comfortable if they are playing scared. 

Harold Joiner, you say? Interesting. He could be a difference-maker, but didn’t expect to hear his name till 2019. 

I don't know what changed Gus from the Gus that played Dyer in 2010 as a true freshman to the Gus that won't play anyone other than the #1 back , but something must have, maybe it was Roc Thomas.

"It's good right now that we have options," he said. "You can't have enough depth at running back in this league."

There are moments when I think somebody needs to punch Gus in the mouth.  Did he believe the same last year?

15 minutes ago, AURex said:

" I think the first three or four games will tell us where we're at."

?

These statements concern me that we will see more of the same old Gus.  

At other times, I really think he’s making adjustments and becoming a better coach.  

Stop playing with my emotions Gus!  Just be consistently great already!!!

13 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

These statements concern me that we will see more of the same old Gus.  

At other times, I really think he’s making adjustments and becoming a better coach.  

Stop playing with my emotions Gus!  Just be consistently great already!!!

I think its fair this time for him to say it.  They probably have a good idea of what the rotation will be, but the reality is that Martin is the only one of the top 4 RBs with college experience.  Who knows how anyone reacts when the lights go on?  Even Dyer didn't get significant carries until the third game in 2010.

46 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I don't know what changed Gus from the Gus that played Dyer in 2010 as a true freshman to the Gus that won't play anyone other than the #1 back , but something must have, maybe it was Roc Thomas.

1n 2010 Gus had Dyer and O-Mac. There hasn't been a freshman like Dyer since then. I also think we'd have seen a lot of 1-2 punch at RB last year, except that one of them was always either injured or in the doghouse. The one game when both were healthy and happy, both were used extensively. Why wasn't K-mart used more? I don't know except to think that he wasn't ready to be Mike Dyer.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

1n 2010 Gus had Dyer and O-Mac. There hasn't been a freshman like Dyer since then. I also think we'd have seen a lot of 1-2 punch at RB last year, except that one of them was always either injured or in the doghouse. The one game when both were healthy and happy, both were used extensively. Why wasn't K-mart used more? I don't know except to think that he wasn't ready to be Mike Dyer.

People also forget Dyer’s size. He had the body of a senior as a freshman & that’s one reason he was so reliable. He also held onto the rock. He was like 5’8  220 & built somewhat similar to Maurice Jones-Drew. 

Just put the best players in despite size, youth , etc and give them a reason for you to not trust them. Seems like the best strategy.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Just put the best players in despite size, youth , etc and give them a reason for you to not trust them. Seems like the best strategy.

Not trying to be disagreeable here but....That strategy means they fumble/drop a pass/miss a tackle and then get taken out of the game. That's closing the barn door after the cows got out. How many such failures result in a lost game? Finding out who is reliable is what practice is for. Big games are too late for experimentation.

Archived