AP AU #9

corchjay

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link

Alabama, fresh off its fifth national championship since 2009 under Nick Saban and second title of the College Football Playoff era, is once again the  preseason No. 1 team heading into the year. On Monday, the first AP Top 25 was released, and for third-straight year that poll will lead with the Tide at the top. 

Clemson checked in at No. 2 and received 18 of the remaining 19 first-place votes. Wisconsin, at No. 4, also received a first-place vote. Georgia splits those two at No. 3 after finishing as the national runner-up a season ago, and Ohio State rounds out the top five. 

AP Top 25 poll

1. Alabama (42 first-place votes) 
  2. Clemson (18)
  3. Georgia 
  4. Wisconsin (1)
  5. Ohio State 
  6. Washington 
  7. Oklahoma 
  8. Miami 
  9. Auburn 
  10. Penn State 
  11. Michigan State 
  12. Notre Dame 
  13. Stanford 
  14. Michigan 
  15. USC 
  16. TCU 
  17. West Virginia 
  18. Mississippi State 
  19. Florida State 
  20. Virginia Tech 
  21. UCF 
  22. Boise State 
  23. Texas
  24. Oregon 
  25. LSU 
  •  
  •  
  •  

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seems about right IMO. 

I just hope this is finally the season when our masochistic OoC schedule helps us instead of hurting us. 

Let's hope after the victories over UW and USM that they lose 2 between them. Liberty and ASU ain't gwonna help.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

AU in at 9 in the ap poll.  The heck with a link just trust me

AP Top 25 poll

1. Alabama (42 first-place votes) 
  2. Clemson (18)
  3. Georgia 
  4. Wisconsin (1)
  5. Ohio State 
  6. Washington 
  7. Oklahoma 
  8. Miami 
  9. Auburn 
  10. Penn State 
  11. Michigan State 
  12. Notre Dame 
  13. Stanford 
  14. Michigan 
  15. USC 
  16. TCU 
  17. West Virginia 
  18. Mississippi State 
  19. Florida State 
  20. Virginia Tech 
  21. UCF 
  22. Boise State 
  23. Texas
  24. Oregon 
  25. LSU 

Clemson will have a great defense but I have doubts about Bryant at Qb for them.  He did not play well against good defenses last year.  If Auburn had faced Clemson later in the season when Stidham was clicking I think that game turns about completely different.  Whether it’s Tamu or FSU someone will sneak up on them.

The facts are coaching lost the Clemson game not the play of our QB.

"Clemson will have a great defense but I have doubts about Bryant at Qb for them.  He did not play well against good defenses last year.  If Auburn had faced Clemson later in the season when Stidham was clicking I think that game turns about completely different.  Whether it’s Tamu or FSU someone will sneak up on them"

4 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Who said that the play of our QB cost us the Clemson game?

And what won us the UAT game?

11 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Now there’s something that never gets discussed. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I just don’t think UGA is gonna be that good. 

They only return 3 starters on defense.  They will be good, but not like last year.  Mississippi State I can see coming out of the gates hot like we did in 2009, but down the stretch faltering.  LSU should not be in the top 25.  Way too many distractions going on with guys leaving, getting arrested.  Ohio State I am surprised has not dropped a tad either with the coaching controversy.

20 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

"Clemson will have a great defense but I have doubts about Bryant at Qb for them.  He did not play well against good defenses last year.  If Auburn had faced Clemson later in the season when Stidham was clicking I think that game turns about completely different.  Whether it’s Tamu or FSU someone will sneak up on them"

Wasn’t blaming Stidham as much as saying he wasnt hitting on all cylinders at that point.  1st game on the road after a couple years off in that environment had to be nuts.

Also I know everyone talks about our schedule but Tennessee has to play UGA, Us and Bama in a row. Wow .

They also start off against West Virginia 

36 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Wasn’t blaming Stidham as much as saying he wasnt hitting on all cylinders at that point.  1st game on the road after a couple years off in that environment had to be nuts.

This. There's no denying that coaching was the primary reason we ended up anemic vs. Clemson but also hard to argue that Stidham was playing at a high level at that point. He was not the same QB that would play against UGA and UAT later in the year. A lot of that is on the O-line of course - horrible game to be sure, but Stidham wasn't his best either. Just a bad situation that spiraled out of control as the game went on and thankfully the defense kept the game close.

Perennially brutal schedule - we can fail to put up (esp vs UW, UGa or Bama) and choose not to shut up and what's funny is the playoff committee usually agrees. AU can tank against any of probably 4 opponents this season and still say we comin'.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I just don’t think UGA is gonna be that good. 

Why do you think that? Serious question. I guess a starting point would be defining "that good." Just seems like they have a lot of firepower on offense, and will still have a formidable defense - even considering the players they are losing. 

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Why do you think that? Serious question. I guess a starting point would be defining "that good." Just seems like they have a lot of firepower on offense, and will still have a formidable defense - even considering the players they are losing. 

I still think they’ll be good and are the favorites in the east, but I don’t think they’ll be quite as strong as last season. 

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

They will be good but NC contenders? Iono about that. I tend to agree. They lost two RBs to the NFL and some key players from their defensive side including roquan smith. With that being said, their record may not reflect it as much because their schedule is a joke (yes, I am butthurt about it). But I think they will definitely have a lot more close encounters this year. 

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

We play 5 top 25 teams.  

Bama at 1

UGA at 3

UW at 6

MSU at 18

LSU at 25

and only one of the games at home

And I highly doubt that one team is going to be in the top 25 after week 1. I think they’re in for a long year.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

They will be good but NC contenders? Iono about that. I tend to agree. They lost two RBs to the NFL and some key players from their defensive side including roquan smith. With that being said, their record may not reflect it as much because their schedule is a joke (yes, I am butthurt about it). But I think they will definitely have a lot more close encounters this year. 

I definitely think we will learn a lot about Kirby Smart this season - regardless of their record, because you make a good point about their schedule. Fromm is the real deal, so that will certainly help on offense. I guess I'm a little less pessimistic about their defense because Kirby has a lot of experience reloading/retooling on that side of the ball. I'm just curious whether he can produce a consistent product after losing the kind of leadership that he just did.

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I definitely think we will learn a lot about Kirby Smart this season - regardless of their record, because you make a good point about their schedule. Fromm is the real deal, so that will certainly help on offense. I guess I'm a little less pessimistic about their defense because Kirby has a lot of experience reloading/retooling on that side of the ball. I'm just curious whether he can produce a consistent product after losing the kind of leadership that he just did.

I think Jake has a lot of pressure on him with that one 5 star QB behind him. There seems to be a split with the fan base on when, not “if” he will start and that same 5 star QB dad is already chirping .

Archived