Beverage Pairings for Every AU Game...

aucanucktiger

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Found this article pretty amusing, I bet we can do better though. Thoughts?;)

https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2018/8/17/17698102/ole-miss-football-schedule-2018-boozin

vs UW

Breakfast Bloody Mary (i.e., "Harry the dog")

1 part Bulliet Rye, 1 part simple syrup,  2 shakes of bitters, one orange slice twisted, 1 large ice cube.  Rinse and Repeat.

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

1 part Bulliet Rye, 1 part simple syrup,  2 shakes of bitters, one orange slice twisted, 1 large ice cube.  Rinse and Repeat.

That seems a little old fashioned

9 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That seems a little old fashioned

Well played x2.

Huge fan of using rye for cocktails and keeping my bourbon neat. Unless it's Sazerac Rye, which my local spot just got back in. 

For day games: one jigger Bombay Sapphire over ice in a rocks glass with a twist.

For night games: two jiggers Bombay Sapphire over ice in a rocks glass with a twist. 

???

At games, JW Black Label with 3 cubes.  ...a few of them at least.

At home, copious amounts of fermented barley & hops with frequent bathroom breaks beginning in the 2nd half.

Bourbon, neat. Why would you want anything else? Quality of bourbon depends on quality of opponent and subject to change with quality of AU play. EH Taylor Single Barrel the go-to here.

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Bourbon, neat. Why would you want anything else? Quality of bourbon depends on quality of opponent and subject to change with quality of AU play. EH Taylor Single Barrel the go-to here.

Well, well, well. I think that is the first time I've heard the Colonel referred to as a "go-to" bourbon. A lot of folks would consider that a "Not unless you know my middle name and/or are really, really beautiful" bourbon. My already-considerable esteem for you grows, sir. 

As for why I would want anything besides bourbon, that's easy. No matter what you put in front of me, I drink it at the same rate. Football games are 3 hours long and I'm an Auburn fan. I have a family to think about, we just had the floors redone and my dog doesn't absorb a size 10 1/2 so well.  

vs Arkie

I’ve been wracking my (poor old) brain here but,

TBH, have come up, um, “empty.”

Even the venerable (“Premium Quality”) Razorback Beer seems to have died along with the last dregs/remnants of Dixie Brewing; empty cans, and old merchandise w./ logos are sold as vintage memorabilia.

Guess we could just take what they bring us, but (in case they bring nothing) I’ll also have a PBR stash to get through.

Old Forester 1920 with a single sphere has been my “go-to” for Bourbon, James E. Pepper SB neat for my rye, Tully XO neat for whiskey, Laphroaig Cairdeas with a splash of water to open it up (Oloroso sherry finish) is my favorite readily available (relatively) Scotch, though recently I’ve been drinking a good Espadín Mezcal neat on game days for a few years and it seems to be a fairly mellow sip for the emotional rigors of AU Football watching. 

Cheers to whatever you sip!

48 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

vs Arkie

I’ve been wracking my (poor old) brain here but,

TBH, have come up, um, “empty.”

Even the venerable (“Premium Quality”) Razorback Beer seems to have died along with the last dregs/remnants of Dixie Brewing; empty cans, and old merchandise w./ logos are sold as vintage memorabilia.

Guess we could just take what they bring us, but (in case they bring nothing) I’ll also have a PBR stash to get through.

Apologies if you're fully committed to the previous bloody mary, but

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, EclecticTiger said:

Old Forester 1920 with a single sphere has been my “go-to” for Bourbon, James E. Pepper SB neat for my rye, Tully XO neat for whiskey, Laphroaig Cairdeas with a splash of water to open it up (Oloroso sherry finish) is my favorite readily available (relatively) Scotch, though recently I’ve been drinking a good Espadín Mezcal neat on game days for a few years and it seems to be a fairly mellow sip for the emotional rigors of AU Football watching. 

I've really got to step up my game. And you have excellent taste. OF 1920 is the best bourbon I had last year and any Islay malt is great, and Laphroaig is hero whisky.  Will have to dial up that mezcal. Reasonably available?

My emotions(icons) have been spent for the day. Good day, sir!

I’m with @McLoofus here. It doesn’t matter what is put in front of me on game day, it’s going down the gullet at the same rate. So, I have to be mindful of location and company.

16 minutes ago, EclecticTiger said:

You, sir, have impeccable taste. My Islay of choice would be Ardbeg Ugeidal but I would never argue with Laphroaig of any variation. Well done!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Well, well, well. I think that is the first time I've heard the Colonel referred to as a "go-to" bourbon. A lot of folks would consider that a "Not unless you know my middle name and/or are really, really beautiful" bourbon. My already-considerable esteem for you grows, sir. 

As for why I would want anything besides bourbon, that's easy. No matter what you put in front of me, I drink it at the same rate. Football games are 3 hours long and I'm an Auburn fan. I have a family to think about, we just had the floors redone and my dog doesn't absorb a size 10 1/2 so well.  

I scour every liquor store around the country for the EHT Single. My wife got pretty frustrated with me when we were in Bozeman, MT last year and I bought 10 bottles then spent two hours trying to ship it back to myself in AL?

Washington - Long Island Iced Tea or something that requires a lot of prep work - first game and you want to go all out

ASU - Straight up beer - trying to recover from the disastrous hangover from the prior weekend, plus it's hot and cheap and gets the job done

LSU - Absinthe prepared the traditional way - probably self explanatory, crazy $h!t happens when you drink it

Arkansas - Beer, again. I mean, it's Arkansas and it's a week after an absinthe/LSU hangover

Southern Miss - Water. End of September, it's hot, and it's a fake team from Mississippi

MSU - Flaming Dr. Pepper - celebrate the 10 year anniversary of "3-2" in style! Baby I'm Burnin

Tennessee - Jack Daniels and RC Cola - try to stay true to the spirit of the Volunteer State

Ole Miss - Crown and whatever, or by itself - attempt a drink with the veneer of civilization but that's actually just kind of cheap - like the Grove

A&M - Dirty Hooker with a 49 oz Porterhouse Steak - in honor of Jimbo's true nature and Texas A&M's penchant for excess - respectively

UGAY - Evan Williams and Coke - something that can get you in trouble and into the dog pound quickly

Liberty - who cares

UAT - Jaeger Bomb - excessive, not tasty, and unnecessary. No explanation needed

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've really got to step up my game. And you have excellent taste. OF 1920 is the best bourbon I had last year and any Islay malt is great, and Laphroaig is hero whisky.  Will have to dial up that mezcal. Reasonably available?

Appreciate it! If I recall, you’re in the Metro ATL area, I believe. I found a great selection at Green’s near Ponce City Market. I grabbed the Mezcal Vago last time, and it’s about the same price as the aforementioned Old Fo’ 1920. Smoky, mushroomy, earthy, but surprisingly sippable, for my palate. 

Archived