Beverage Pairings for Every AU Game...

aucanucktiger

44 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Interesting... My Division HQ is located in Belmont, just west of Charlotte.  ...of course, I'm in SW Fla but will be in TN before Christmas season...

I’m in NoDa, but my lady’s parents have a sweet place on Lake Norman, and their neighbors fly an AU flag, so we’ll probably just take over their place for the aforementioned holiday festivities and invite the neighbors ?

Near Sarasota, by chance? If so, Yoder’s has great skillet fried chicken and the pie is amazing.

Eastern TN? 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, EclecticTiger said:

I’m in NoDa, but my lady’s parents have a sweet place on Lake Norman, and their neighbors fly an AU flag, so we’ll probably just take over their place for the aforementioned holiday festivities and invite the neighbors ?

Near Sarasota, by chance? If so, Yoder’s has great skillet fried chicken and the pie is amazing.

Eastern TN? 

Yes, we're in the (rapidly growing) town of North Port.  I say rapidly growing because the Atlanta Braves are moving their Spring Training here next year and things have exploded.  Unfortunately, one of the things we liked when we moved was the small "bedroom community" feel of the place. That's changing by the day... We are roughly 30 miles south of Sarasota (and we're in Sarasota County).

Yoder's you say?  Yes, know it VERY well!  Been 100 times I'd guess haha!.  Best Peanut Butter Pie on the planet Earth!!!  For the holiday season, they do an outstanding Pumpkin Cream Pie too and yes, their fried chicken is Blue Ribbon for a reason!!

Yes, we decided to do my chemo here as my oncologist is amazing!  SO impressed with her and the whole crew there (shout-out to Sarasota Cancer Center)!!!

However, once they say I'm ready for the next step (radiation) I'll have a rest period and we're moving up to Knoxville, TN, which is close to family.  Barring any unforeseen circumstances we plan to be up there before Thanksgiving.

11 hours ago, EclecticTiger said:

Did I mention I smoke various and sundry meats often

I have a vertical smoker that I got for my birthday that I really enjoy. Pecan and apple wood are excellent and pair well with a neat whiskey/bourbon. I’m still trying to get to the point where I can get everything consistent. 

6 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes, we're in the (rapidly growing) town of North Port.  I say rapidly growing because the Atlanta Braves are moving their Spring Training here next year and things have exploded.  Unfortunately, one of the things we liked when we moved was the small "bedroom community" feel of the place. That's changing by the day... We are roughly 30 miles south of Sarasota (and we're in Sarasota County).

Yoder's you say?  Yes, know it VERY well!  Been 100 times I'd guess haha!.  Best Peanut Butter Pie on the planet Earth!!!  For the holiday season, they do an outstanding Pumpkin Cream Pie too and yes, their fried chicken is Blue Ribbon for a reason!!

Yes, we decided to do my chemo here as my oncologist is amazing!  SO impressed with her and the whole crew there (shout-out to Sarasota Cancer Center)!!!

However, once they say I'm ready for the next step (radiation) I'll have a rest period and we're moving up to Knoxville, TN, which is close to family.  Barring any unforeseen circumstances we plan to be up there before Thanksgiving.

So glad to hear you know Yoder’s! That peanut butter pie and fried chicken is transcendental ?. Thanks for the tip on the Pumpkin Cream Pie (thought briefly of abbreviating it, then thought better ?). 

Glad you’ve got a good team on your side there. And not to disparage SW Flerda, but K’Vegas is more my kind of place (climate especially), so that’s an additional side benefit to this little adventure you’re on. I don’t suppose you know of a place on the square called Stock & Barrel? Or Kaizen? If not, when you feel like treating yourself to a delicious meal, they will NOT disappoint. The whiskey selection at S&B is up there, and their burgers are top-shelf. Kaizen is tiny, but quite original and incredibly well-executed. Sorry to go on about it, but I know all  too well how amazing it is when your appetite returns, and these are some spots that are worthy of the indulgence, and the celebration, of the return of your old friend hunger.

Cheers to you and yours! 

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I have a vertical smoker that I got for my birthday that I really enjoy. Pecan and apple wood are excellent and pair well with a neat whiskey/bourbon. I’m still trying to get to the point where I can get everything consistent. 

Sweet gift! Mine is just a little cabinet smoker my lady won for me at a silent auction for prostate cancer awareness, but it does well for most of my needs. I love it as a hobby; it’s not too expensive, I get to be both creative and disciplined, can sip on something or smoke a cigar in process, and the results are delicious. I also appreciate the history of smoking meat in the South, so my inner geek ? likes the combination of history and science. Oh, and did I mention it’s delicious? Next treat, cold smoking attachment for fish, cheese, and a lot of other experiments!

War Damn Phenols!

14 minutes ago, EclecticTiger said:

Sweet gift! Mine is just a little cabinet smoker my lady won for me at a silent auction for prostate cancer awareness, but it does well for most of my needs. I love it as a hobby; it’s not too expensive, I get to be both creative and disciplined, can sip on something or smoke a cigar in process, and the results are delicious. I also appreciate the history of smoking meat in the South, so my inner geek ? likes the combination of history and science. Oh, and did I mention it’s delicious? Next treat, cold smoking attachment for fish, cheese, and a lot of other experiments!

War Damn Phenols!

Indeed 

I am late on this drink for each game so:

For the first game I drank Jack Daniels - because I was absolutely JACKED for the start of football season. 

Today in honor of the Alabama State Yellow Jackets ?I will be making a variety of “Stingers”. The recipe is simple a 3:1 ratio and is usually is Brandy and white crime de menthe. But you can us Vodka, Tequila, Cognac or a Rye whisky. But serve it over crushed ice.

51 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I am late on this drink for each game so:

For the first game I drank Jack Daniels - because I was absolutely JACKED for the start of football season. 

Today in honor of the Alabama State Yellow Jackets ?I will be making a variety of “Stingers”. The recipe is simple a 3:1 ratio and is usually is Brandy and white crime de menthe. But you can us Vodka, Tequila, Cognac or a Rye whisky. But serve it over crushed ice.

For "Stinger" type drinks, I like a 50/50 mix of WT Honey and WT Rare Breed

Sipping on a 2014 Colonel Taylor Single Barrel, partially to honor UK breaking the streak against Flerda.

Really wish I had a 31 year old whiskey to do it with, but this is damned fine, in its stead ???

All in all, another good day to appreciate and be grateful for. 

Cheers, all!

2 minutes ago, EclecticTiger said:

Sipping on a 2014 Colonel Taylor Single Barrel, partially to honor UK breaking the streak against Flerda.

Really wish I had a 31 year old whiskey to do it with, but this is damned fine, in its stead ???

Cheers, all!

Old Granddad Bonded on this end. I'll have something nice if we win next week.

Did have some tasty beers earlier. And did Korean BBQ al fresco with the 'rents and other fam. Cooked the meat at the table and everything. It was a beautiful night in the Lowcountry.

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Did have some tasty beers earlier. And did Korean BBQ al fresco with the 'rents and other fam. Cooked the meat at the table and everything. It was a beautiful night in the Lowcountry.

OGD BIB, Eagle Rare, McKenna 10, and Buffalo Trace are all some of my go-tos; good stuff.  

Nice going on the Korean BBQ; that sounds amazing! Sounds like a good day was had by all! 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Picked up a bottle of 114 today.

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Easily one of my favorite "bottom shelf" bourbons. IMO, it's wildly underrated and a steal at price. It's a nice sipper over an ice sphere and makes a good mixed drink (if you like those kinds of things). I always have a bottle on hand

2 hours ago, selias said:

Easily one of my favorite "bottom shelf" bourbons. IMO, it's wildly underrated and a steal at price. It's a nice sipper over an ice sphere and makes a good mixed drink (if you like those kinds of things). I always have a bottle on hand

Exactly. 

15 hours ago, EclecticTiger said:

Cheers, all!

Kudos to you sir! EHT Single Barrel is my personal favorite bourbon, try to keep several bottles in reserve at all times ? After a hot day of exercise and yard work pre-game yesterday I elected to drink a couple of Voodoo Ranger (Juicy Haze) IPAs with a good bone-in ribeye cooked on the BGE. I look forward to several opportunities to visit with The Colonel as the season unfolds, however. Keep up the good work!

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

Kudos to you sir! EHT Single Barrel is my personal favorite bourbon, try to keep several bottles in reserve at all times ? After a hot day of exercise and yard work pre-game yesterday I elected to drink a couple of Voodoo Ranger (Juicy Haze) IPAs with a good bone-in ribeye cooked on the BGE. I look forward to several opportunities to visit with The Colonel as the season unfolds, however. Keep up the good work!

I like the cut of your jib, sir! 

Seriously, we have some folks with some great taste around here, which doesn’t really surprise me AT ALL. But, to see the details is a nice touch, and makes me feel like I know a little more about each of you, and it’s been great. 

I hope this thread never dies. 

4 hours ago, selias said:

Basically just uncut Basil Hayden. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’ll take the BH Dark Rye over the regular BH any day of the week. Haven’t tried the 2 by 2 rye blend yet. 

Agreed. 

Nor have I, yet, unfortunately.  

Archived