Is there a chance the OL is actually better than last year?

gr82b4au

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

More than a couple points on Clemson & UCF specifically before breaking it down. There was a combined 41 sacks & scrambles. We have to be smart enough to factor them as pass plays which is what I did in my previous post even though the NCAA is too dumb to do so. Actual numbers in the biggest games are...

Clem. 45% 11 sacks & 1 QB scramble on a pass play call
LSU 57% 3 sacks & 1 QB scramble
aTm 61% (Not sure where you got 51%)
UGA 61% 2 sacks & 1 QB scramble
Bama 56% 2 sacks & 3 QB scrambles
UGA 40% 3 sacks & 3 QB scrambles
UCF  41% 6 sacks & 3 QB scrambles

Total run call % in biggest games 51.7%

Nice

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Myself think the OL will be a little better. Grimes' OL is going to struggle against the better DC's he faces. The OL isn't going to know how to handle some blitzes. Grimes has problems with that aspect of the game. Going to rely on just some sheer mauling to get by sometimes. Will be something to watch. 

Why I don't buy into Chip throwing the ball more this year than last. Think it's still going to be 65% run. Won't be a very complicated WR tree as much as Chip would want. 

Would Chip have any influence in the blitz pick up? I know he’s not the OL coach, but as OC I feel like he may have some strategy at alleviating that, no?

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

More than a couple points on Clemson & UCF specifically before breaking it down. There was a combined 41 sacks & scrambles. We have to be smart enough to factor them as pass plays which is what I did in my previous post even though the NCAA is too dumb to do so. Actual numbers in the biggest games are...

Clem. 45% 11 sacks & 1 QB scramble on a pass play call
LSU 57% 3 sacks & 1 QB scramble
aTm 61% (Not sure where you got 51%)
UGA 61% 2 sacks & 1 QB scramble
Bama 56% 2 sacks & 3 QB scrambles
UGA 40% 3 sacks & 3 QB scrambles
UCF  41% 6 sacks & 3 QB scrambles

Total run call % in biggest games 51.7%

It still points to what I see as necessity vs strategy. Our biggest games have been majority of losses. In 3 of those games we are under 50 % but we also seemed to be stymied from the run game during that time for one reason or another. To me, it should be close to the Bama game where we are 55-45 run to pass. I would like to see AU get to that point, where you don’t have to rely on one or the other so much. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

It still points to what I see as necessity vs strategy. Our biggest games have been majority of losses. In 3 of those games we are under 50 % but we also seemed to be stymied from the run game during that time for one reason or another. To me, it should be close to the Bama game where we are 55-45 run to pass. I would like to see AU get to that point, where you don’t have to rely on one or the other so much. 

But it needs to be balance of play calls and not balance of yardage

Yes, there is a chance.  As many have already stated, the coaching is much better!  The success of this unit boils down to the Center position IMHO.

I have a lot of confidence in our Tackles and Guards.  Not so much at the Center position.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

But it needs to be balance of play calls and not balance of yardage

Yeah that’s what I mean. Yardage doesn’t tell the whole story because we can pick up big chunks of yards with limited pass plays. We are going to have to have a lot more passing attempts this year IMO. 

16 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Yes, there is a chance.  As many have already stated, the coaching is much better!  The success of this unit boils down to the Center position IMHO.

I have a lot of confidence in our Tackles and Guards.  Not so much at the Center position.

This is where I remind myself that we haven't been *good* at center in 3 years. Golson was bad to start 2015. Dampeer started even worse in 2016, so we moved a serviceable-by-then Golson back over. Dunn was again serviceable in 2017. 

Do we need Pugh circa 2010 or Dismukes circa 2013 to have a season like those? I dunno. But we should have won at least 12 games last season with a guy who probably wasn't a big step up from where we are now, if at all. And the team around him should be better than we were to start last season, starting at the top and with the guy right behind him. 

Image result for sunshine gif

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah that’s what I mean. Yardage doesn’t tell the whole story because we can pick up big chunks of yards with limited pass plays. We are going to have to have a lot more passing attempts this year IMO. 

I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be more pass attempts (a lot more), we've got an experienced & seasoned QB/OC, talented WRs, a TE that some say will be a weapon.  A lot of teams have their Olines under construction right now, AU is no different.  This is the year to get it done - CFP or BUST!

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be more pass attempts (a lot more), we've got an experienced & seasoned QB/OC, talented WRs, a TE that some say will be a weapon.  A lot of teams have their Olines under construction right now, AU is no different.  This is the year to get it done - CFP or BUST!

Great point! Another example of us- myself included- forgetting that almost every other team has question marks. But most of them don't have an NFL QB and the best DL in the conference, if not nation. 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This is where I remind myself that we haven't been *good* at center in 3 years. Golson was bad to start 2015. Dampeer started even worse in 2016, so we moved a serviceable-by-then Golson back over. Dunn was again serviceable in 2017. 

Do we need Pugh circa 2010 or Dismukes circa 2013 to have a season like those? I dunno. But we should have won at least 12 games last season with a guy who probably wasn't a big step up from where we are now, if at all. And the team around him should be better than we were to start last season, starting at the top and with the guy right behind him. 

Image result for sunshine gif

Strong Sunshine game, my friend!

• 3 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 10:09 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Myself think the OL will be a little better. Grimes' OL is going to struggle against the better DC's he faces. The OL isn't going to know how to handle some blitzes. Grimes has problems with that aspect of the game. Going to rely on just some sheer mauling to get by sometimes. Will be something to watch. 

Why I don't buy into Chip throwing the ball more this year than last. Think it's still going to be 65% run. Won't be a very complicated WR tree as much as Chip would want. 

nailed that one

OL will be better IMO. People love to forget how big a jump players can make from year to year. 

Now, I'm not saying we are going to be mauling everyone but it should be better

Archived