Projected depth chart

aubiefifty

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

This position scares the dickens outta me.

Iggy has done great in practice with rave reviews and Tutt may be a starter a few games in! Broussard should know the system well and we have others who could move over if needed! We’ve got this!

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

Iggy has done great in practice with rave reviews and Tutt may be a starter a few games in! Broussard should know the system well and we have others who could move over if needed! We’ve got this!

A converted WR or a True Freshman as our Field CB? If I'm Jake Browning, I'm all over that matchup. It's by far our weakest link on D. I've seen enough of Broussard...he's a bust.

11 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

A converted WR or a True Freshman as our Field CB? If I'm Jake Browning, I'm all over that matchup. It's by far our weakest link on D. I've seen enough of Broussard...he's a bust.

He’s not though 

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Cord hasn’t played football in years. No word on how he is even doing. I would be shocked if he jumped MW this year at all. 

I wouldn't. In fact, if Stidham goes down, I expect Sandberg to take over.

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Broussard. I know from last year he mainly played when our backup defense was in but from what I saw he did fine 

He's awful. 1995 secondary awful. In every highlight I've seen of him, he's been burned terribly...by 2nd and 3rd team offenses.

Just now, Scotty2Hotty said:

He's awful. 1995 secondary awful. In every highlight I've seen of him, he's been burned terribly...by 2nd and 3rd team offenses.

It always looked like Nick Ruffin getting burned to me... not Broussard. But maybe I’m wrong 

13 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Not a chance. Willis is clearly #2.

3 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

No. Wasn't Ruffin. Was Broussard.

Both, #staycrispy

16 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Not a chance. Willis is clearly #2.

Both, #staycrispy

Sure, for now. Merely tenured. If pressed into the starter role, Sandberg takes over.

Can't disagree with Ruffin...wasn't a good DB, but if Broussard is pressed into a starting role, we are looking at 2010 Neiko Thorpe type results, but much worse.

#standbyyourpredictions

2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Really? I hope you are right about that. That would mean we would have a starting QB ready for next year 

8 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Sure, for now. Merely tenured. If pressed into the starter role, Sandberg takes over.

In Sandberg, we've got a guy who has been away from football for five years. Borderline four star back then and with none of his in-state schools interested he committed to MSU. The only thing he brings to the table that the others don't is five years of age and the accompanying life experience. He's listed last on the depth chart for a reason. Here's hoping that in time he'll be a plus on the field but I think his time is some years down the road and would involve injuries to Nix, Willis and probably Gatewood too.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

In Sandberg, we've got a guy who has been away from football for five years. Borderline four star back then and with none of his in-state schools interested he committed to MSU. The only thing he brings to the table that the others don't is five years of age and the accompanying life experience. He's listed last on the depth chart for a reason. Here's hoping that in time he'll be a plus on the field but I think his time is some years down the road and would involve injuries to Nix, Willis and probably Gatewood too.

Huh. Thought we're not at practice and we don't know what the players are actually capable of?

Sandberg's senior season passing stats in high school: 70% completion, 2674 yards, 35 TDs, 1 INT, QBR 140.6

Rushing stats: 99 carries, 611 yards, 10 TDs

Gatewood's senior season passing stats: 68.5% completion, 1425 yards, 12 TDs, 1 INT, QBR 115.8

Rushing stats: 166 carries, 1108 yards, 16 TDs

Willis's senior season passing stats: 60% completion, 2562 yards, 27 TSs, 9 INTs, QBR 104.9

Rushing stats: 104 carries, 1033 yards, 10 TDs 

Sandberg's 6'3 215 and committed to the same MSU coach that Cam Newton, Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald did. Same guy who coached Tim Tebow, btw. (In other words, a guy who has done a much better job of recruiting and developing QBs than Gus Malzahn has.) He can run AND throw. He was statistically a better high school QB than the other two. There's absolutely no reason to assume he won't beat them out before next fall. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. Thought we're not at practice and we don't know what the players are actually capable of?

Sandberg's senior season passing stats in high school: 70% completion, 2674 yards, 35 TDs, 1 INT, QBR 140.6

Gatewood's senior season passing stats: 68.5% completion, 1425 yards, 12 TDs, 1 INT, QBR 115.8

Willis's senior season passing stats: 60% completion, 2562 yards, 27 TSs, 9 INTs, QBR 104.9

Sandberg's 6'3 215 and committed to the same MSU coach that Cam Newton, Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald did. Same guy who coached Tim Tebow, btw. (In other words, a guy who has done a much better job of recruiting and developing QBs than Gus Malzahn has.) He can run AND throw. He was statistically a better high school QB than the other two. There's absolutely no reason to assume he won't beat them out before next fall. 

He threw an interception as a senior— he’s gonna have to earn Gus’ trust. ;)

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In fairness to jg he split time with another d1 qb! So his stats are a little skewed by that. You could argue why he split time, but there’s been lots of debate on that.

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

In fairness to jg he split time with another d1 qb! So his stats are a little skewed by that. You could argue why he split time, but there’s been lots of debate on that.

True, but QBR doesn't factor in reps and his was lower than Sandberg's by a wide margin.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not crapping on JG. Dude could have gone anywhere but he chose Auburn early and stuck with us. He's obviously a phenomenal athlete and human being. It's been my hope that he gets reps in the Wildcat this fall and is able to leverage that experience into having a better chance at being QB1. 

I'm just going against the silly notion that Sandberg has no shot at the job. 

12 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

This position scares the dickens outta me.

On the bright side, if things don't work well with Noah or Tutt, we can always move JD back to that spot and play Peters at Nickel.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Sanders committed to MSU because most schools thought he was going in the MLB Draft and didn't want to tie up a spot with him in the signing class only to lose him three months later. Miss St took a flyer on him and crossed their fingers that they'd get lucky, which they didn't. It wasn't that no one wanted him as a QB. 

Also funny that a "borderline 4*" with 14 offers, including 5 from the SEC- including one from Auburn- has no chance at beating out a 3* with 14 offers- ours being the only one in the SEC and one of only 3 P5 offers- and who was listed as an athlete by the recruiting services and not a QB. Or a guy who has been discussed as a potential future tight end from day 1 and who didn't start outright for his high school team.

Again, just pointing out dumb comments about one player, not crapping on the others. They're all Auburn dudes. 

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

For some reason, there's no Jamel Dean listed on the chart. I think he would be able to play that. 

aubiefifty didn’t paste the entire depth chart from the article. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/08/projected_auburn_depth_chart_t_1.amp

BOUNDARY CORNER 
Jamel Dean, redshirt-junior 
Christian Tutt, freshman 
John Broussard Jr., junior 
Malcolm Askew, redshirt-freshman 
Roger McCreary, freshman

Also, these guys were left out of the OP.

KICKER

Anders Carlson, redshirt-freshman
Ian Shannon, redshirt-junior

PUNTER

Arryn Siposs, sophomore
Aidan Marshall, sophomore

HOLDER

Griffin King, redshirt-junior
Will Hastings, senior (out with torn ACL)
Ian Shannon, redshirt-junior

LONG SNAPPER

Bill Taylor, redshirt-freshman
Clarke Smith, redshirt-sophomore

KICKOFF RETURN

Noah Igbinoghene, sophomore
Shaun Shivers, freshman
Matthew Hill, freshman OR
Anthony Schwartz, freshman

PUNT RETURN

Ryan Davis, senior
Christian Tutt, freshman