Projected depth chart

aubiefifty

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

In Sandberg, we've got a guy who has been away from football for five years.

He's listed last on the depth chart for a reason. 

Chris Weinke was away from football for six years. Worked out decently for him. 

Sandberg may be last on the depth chart for now, but it’s merely to show good faith to Willis and Gatewood, who have been on the team longer that one month. 

If Stidham goes down, Sandberg will eventually take over after Willis shows he can’t shoulder the load. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Sure, for now. Merely tenured. If pressed into the starter role, Sandberg takes over.

Nope, if Stidham went down long term Willis would be the guy. Cord is a good ways away from being serviceable much less starter material. I like Cord's potential, but those are the facts atp.

It is to early to assume Sandberg would be ready to replace Stidham if he was hurt. While Weinke did well after a long layoff not every player is the same.  Personally I hope we don't have to find out but if we do I hope both have had enough mop up duty to make an informed decision as to who is the best option. Blanket statements picking the one who will be better without having seen either one in real game situation is fun and keeps us busy but is not based on anything but less than educated guesses.

12 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Nope, if Stidham went down long term Willis would be the guy. Cord is a good ways away from being serviceable much less starter material. I like Cord's potential, but those are the facts atp.

Willis had potential, but based off his arm, it is clear he is not a P5 QB. He wouldn’t even beat out the guy at Georgia Tech, who throws it 3 times/game. Sandberg would eventually take over after Willis shows he can’t shoulder the load.

20 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Willis had potential, but based off his arm, it is clear he is not a P5 QB. He wouldn’t even beat out the guy at Georgia Tech, who throws it 3 times/game. Sandberg would eventually take over after Willis shows he can’t shoulder the load.

"Willis HAD potential" what does that even mean?? He wake up legless all of a sudden? By all accounts Malik has listened to the constructive criticism and is taking the job more seriously. The rest is simply your opinion.

By reports, Cord has been skipping out routes to the WRs and threw at least a few JJ6 level bad INTs. He's not ready. 

6 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

"Willis HAD potential" what does that even mean?? He wake up legless all of a sudden? By all accounts Malik has listened to the constructive criticism and is taking the job more seriously. The rest is simply your opinion.

By reports, Cord has been skipping out routes to the WRs and threw at least a few JJ6 level bad INTs. He's not ready. 

What reports do you speak of? I am honestly interested because I haven’t heard much pub about him since he stepped on campus.

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

His arm? We've barely seen him throw. I've never worried much about arm strength. Accuracy was an issue in the spring. Supposedly, it's been better in that area this fall, and he's apparently taking a more mature approach to the position from a preparation standpoint. Not sure we've seen enough from him to write him off already, although I was definitely skeptical after seeing him in the spring. By all accounts, he's made improvements this fall.

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Ga Tech was actually one of the only other P5 schools to offer him. Not sure if they wanted him at QB or not. 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

What reports do you speak of? I am honestly interested because I haven’t heard much pub about him since he stepped on campus.

Just things Ive picked up here and there with my ear to the ground on pay wall message boards from insiders or admins. Remember Gus saying that one of the INTs was a awful decision by a QB from the 1st scrimmage? That was Cord.

BTW: Aint looking very good for Gatewood either.

On 8/9/2018 at 12:50 PM, RunInRed said:

GUS MALZAHN:

-- 100-play scrimmage, split between 1st, 2nd, 3rd team.

-- Defense had three turnovers, sounds like mostly interceptions. One was a "great play" another was a "good play" and another was a bad QB decision.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/08/live_updates_gus_malzahn_recap_22.html

Things to remember Willis is sophmore, Gatewood true freshman, Cord Freshman.  Ben Leard As a sophmore starter was hot garbage.  As a junior he was better and as a senior he was pretty good.  Same thing for Jason’s Campbell.  Sophmore year he was decent.  Junior year he stunk it up a bit.  Senior was great.  How good was Cam as a backup Qb at Florida?  Cam wasn’t that great at Auburn till he was set free against USCe.  Stidham didn’t look great last year the first couple games.  Let’s pump the breaks on dismissing the backups till they have a chance in a real game.

10 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Sandberg may be last on the depth chart for now, but it’s merely to show good faith to Willis and Gatewood, who have been on the team longer that one month. 

And you know this because..... ? 

22 hours ago, boomstick said:

His arm? We've barely seen him throw. I've never worried much about arm strength. Accuracy was an issue in the spring. Supposedly, it's been better in that area this fall, and he's apparently taking a more mature approach to the position from a preparation standpoint. Not sure we've seen enough from him to write him off already, although I was definitely skeptical after seeing him in the spring. By all accounts, he's made improvements this fall.

Hope he does improve. Arm strength is fine. Accuracy is awful. 

18 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Remember Gus saying that one of the INTs was a awful decision by a QB from the 1st scrimmage? That was Cord.

Stidham made an awful decision in the last game he played in. Threw it right to the defender. 

23 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Willis HAD potential" what does that even mean??

Means exactly as you read it. Looked like Nick Marshall potential early on because of his quickness and speed, but lacks accuracy.

Do you really believe he’ll remain above Sandberg on the official depth chart through 2018 till the start of the 2019 season?

4 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Means exactly as you read it. Looked like Nick Marshall potential early on because of his quickness and speed, but lacks accuracy.

Do you really believe he’ll remain above Sandberg on the official depth chart through 2018 till the start of the 2019 season?

Most assuredly, yes

8 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Everybody with the exception of you seems to believe it.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Everybody with the exception of you seems to believe it.

Yet just a couple of weeks ago many here were debating on whether or not to play Sandberg more than four games or not. 

Also a couple of recruiting insiders here after Sandberg committed, alluded it would solely be a Sandberg/Nix battle for the 2019 starting position. 

Now because Sandberg is listed last on an unofficial depth chart, the rats are fleeing the Sandberg ship? 

So - no Smoke on the rest of the depth chart. 

My $0.02 on the backup QB situation..........Jalen Hurts starts for us before Sandberg this season.

9 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

Jalen Hurts starts for us before Sandberg this season.

If I were that kid I'd transfer to the real National Champions from last year...UCF

He'd be the king of Orlando for however much longer he has left in college and he could put up some insane stats in the AAC!

45 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Yet just a couple of weeks ago many here were debating on whether or not to play Sandberg more than four games or not. 

Also a couple of recruiting insiders here after Sandberg committed, alluded it would solely be a Sandberg/Nix battle for the 2019 starting position. 

Now because Sandberg is listed last on an unofficial depth chart, the rats are fleeing the Sandberg ship? 

Who are the insiders who said that? lol . If you are going to reference something like that at least say names. I know WDE  has been adamant that MW and JG aren’t ready so we are adding another QB for depth purposes. Never once have E or WDE have uttered it will be a Nix/Sandberg Battle. WDE has already expressed that a good bit of portion of Sandberg time here, has been in shorts, getting reps. Back to Nix, I have read E harp that a RS year would be good for Nix. So who are you talking about ?

And many people were debating whether Sandberg should play more than four games or not? I definitely don’t believe it . If anything , if he gets a chance he should play the four games max , as he needs as much reps as possible since he has been away the longest. Why would anyone argue that he should play more than that only to lose a potential RS year? Doesn’t make any sense . Pointless debate if true.

Archived