2018 fall softball practice starts

Auburn won over Gulf Coast tonight.  Swindle started, but we used all four pitchers to shut out GC with 11 Ks.  Scored some runs - McCrackin had a leadoff triple and a double later; Tissier with a homer.  Starting lineup (with my guesses as to position):  McCrackin 2b/Crocker lf/TanSnow 3b/Martin dp/ Perry 1b/ Rivera rf/ Veach c/Dowell ss/Podany cf/Swindle p

Here's the link to the article:  https://auburntigers.com/news/2018/10/5/softball-balanced-attack-leads-tigers-to-exhibition-victory.aspx?path=softball

Same lineup as Friday against No. Georgia, except Harris instead of Swindle.  Martin started in the circle, however, and struck out the side in the first.  Taylon Snow still absent.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Same lineup as Friday against No. Georgia, except Harris instead of Swindle.  Martin started in the circle, however, and struck out the side in the first.  Taylon Snow still absent.

I take it there’s no real way to follow fall ball? Don’t see too much about it.

I believe the previous administration published more info on fall games.  There will be an article on the softball News page about today's doubleheader; but it won't contain  box scores, and probably not the final scores.  From Twitter, I see that we won the first game today, but otherwise all it reveals is that McCrackin had an RBI triple to drive in Fornis.  First pitch against Valdosta State scheduled for 1 minute from now.

Side note - I just read (on another forum) that Krystal Goodman, the pitcher from Chipola that transferred to uat, had given up 3 runs to AUM today.

add:  We won Game 2.  McCrackin with another dinger, TanSnow hit one off the wall.  Maresette started in place of Crocker.

Here's the link to the abovementioned article:  https://auburntigers.com/news/2018/10/7/softball-bats-stay-hot-as-tigers-triumph-twice-on-sunday.aspx?path=softball

CMD says we're ahead of where we were last year at this time.  Pitchers continue to shut out the CCs, and McCrackin continues to show how it's done at the plate.  Hit for the cycle over two games today.  Maresette and Veach each had three hits.

Adding to the above:  Taylon Snow did not play but was dressed and walking around with no apparent issues.  In game 1 (North Georgia Night Hawks) Martin started and pitched 5 innings.  Veach Catching.   I believe she had 6 or 7 strike outs.  Auburn won 6 - 0.  During that game I know Veach had a single and a double.  McCrackin hit a double, Podany a single through the infield.  C. Harris went to the mound in 6th and I believe Tissier took over at catcher and KK took over 2nd with Morrow at 2st.  Good inning by Harris with Handley taking over in 7th with Nillen catcher.  Handley appeared to have better control in this game and the second game during the single inning she pitched in both.  She does throw with a lot of velocity (65 - 68 ).  Comment about Martin in the batting order.  I believe she only had one hit tonight(infield single) but gets her bat on the ball a good % of the time.  I know she had a good line drive in game 1 that was caught in CF and another good shot that the pitcher reached up and made a good play.  She is currently batting in the #4 spot.  In game 2 with Valdosta Auburn won 8 - 0.   Swindle started, pitched 5 innings and I know had at lest 4 strike outs.  Generally throwing 64 - 68 mph prior to throwing that wicked change up.  She appears more confident to me compared to last year.  Harris pithed 6th and again Handley 7th.  

I believe Marsette had a couple of hits.  Fornis had 2 or 3 stolen bases.  Snow had a ball hit off the CF wall, McCrackin had good night at plate with her HR over LF wall.  Makenna Dowell does not get a lot of notice but she is a smooth infielder and can play all the infield positions with exception of 1st.  Something I thought was interesting about Valdosta was that they used I believe 5 pitchers....none of them had control problems; that just seemed to be their rotation or else they were just trying to give them experience.  One of their fans told me they have used as many as 6 pitchers in their game rotation.  The opposition pitchers were not as "fast" as most of AU pitchers but I thought they were all respectable pitchers and the other players themselves played their positions well.  There were not a lot of errors by either team.  Failed to mention AU turned a nice double play in 7th inning of game 2. KK Crocker has a younger sister who has been at the games who looks like her twin.  Believe I saw Jenna Abbot at the game.  Perry's dad of course attends.  Sort of miss seeing Drapers dad at the games.

Thanks for the extra details, Slot. Am I correct in thinking that neither Aspyn Godwin nor Tate Moseley played?  Haven't seen mention of them in any article. 

I believe you are correct.  Of course Godwin is about 9 months out from left ACL surgery.  Also Greenwood still not in active line up post some sort of shoulder procedure.

As an edit after thought do you think it possible there may be considerations about a red shirt or two for let's say Godwin and Moseley?  It seems to me we are 2 deep in the outfield at this time and I believe catcher position is going to be set with Veach/Tissier/Nillen.  If players are willing to sit a year and in the case of Godwin get totally healed then I see that as a good thing.  Two players in the outfield are seniors (Podany and Fornis)  In addition, I am anticipating we will see Greenwood next year as she is a R-So.

For sure.  We'll have 8 outfielders counting Godwin and Moseley.  And I'm looking forward to seeing Greenwood in the spring.  I thought she had some promise at the plate, and we can certainly use that.  I think that players can participate in fall exhibitions and still redshirt, but we only have one more fall game.

13 hours ago, slot canyon said:

I believe you are correct.  Of course Godwin is about 9 months out from left ACL surgery.  Also Greenwood still not in active line up post some sort of shoulder procedure.

As an edit after thought do you think it possible there may be considerations about a red shirt or two for let's say Godwin and Moseley?  It seems to me we are 2 deep in the outfield at this time and I believe catcher position is going to be set with Veach/Tissier/Nillen.  If players are willing to sit a year and in the case of Godwin get totally healed then I see that as a good thing.  Two players in the outfield are seniors (Podany and Fornis)  In addition, I am anticipating we will see Greenwood next year as she is a R-So.

Godwin and Moseley are due to be released by November, obviously too late for any fall action.  Redshirting is certainly not out of the question pending their health and roster management.  Greenwood appears to be hoping to be released in time for the spring.  Apparently, the injury suffered during her freshman season was more severe than it appeared. A former associate said Dr. Andrews used her as an example, of shoulder joint injuries and problems he has seen trending in baseball/softball for those throwing and hitting from the opposite side, during a sports medicine clinic. She said Andrews said Greenwood's shoulder surgery took 13 staples and had extensive damage. He said even though she tried to work through the pain and separation by wearing a brace with a harness strap, the continual usage only aggravated the joint area. Andrews said only Drew Brees had more staples and was able to comeback. Let's hope she is able to play this spring. After seeing Brees tonight, I would say he made a substantial comeback. 

Thanks for that interesting information.  I know a lot of players throw right and bat left.  (Cooper, Carosone, Crocker, Rivera, Draper, Howard for a few local examples.)  Infielders need to throw right, except for 1B, and one seldom sees a lefty-throwing outfielder.  So apparently a lot of girls learn to bat left-handed for the advantage against RH pitchers, which are more numerous than LH pitchers, and also for the quicker jump down the line.  Am I thinking straight?

20 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Thanks for that interesting information.  I know a lot of players throw right and bat left.  (Cooper, Carosone, Crocker, Rivera, Draper, Howard for a few local examples.)  Infielders need to throw right, except for 1B, and one seldom sees a lefty-throwing outfielder.  So apparently a lot of girls learn to bat left-handed for the advantage against RH pitchers, which are more numerous than LH pitchers, and also for the quicker jump down the line.  Am I thinking straight?

Yes, you are correct.  Because most positions are throwing friendly to RH, some parents turn or teach to throw RH (if naturally LH).  For girls, some get turned around hitting (especially if faster) to be a slapper.  

Last game of the fall tonight against Snead State.  Taylon back at short, Handley starting in the circle.

Lineup:  McCrackin/Maresette/TaySnow/Martin/Rivera/TanSnow/Veach/Perry/Podany/Handley.

All of this cleanup hitting by Martin in the fall.  I hope we use her bat during the season too. I would like to see Swindell with the bat as well. 

Run production was a big problem last year.  Another bat maybe would have helped. 

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

All of this cleanup hitting by Martin in the fall.  I hope we use her bat during the season too. I would like to see Swindell with the bat as well. 

Run production was a big problem last year.  Another bat maybe would have helped. 

From the twitter entries it appears Martin did not pitch but had a couple of hits including a bunt.  From the games I attended I would say she is about as good as anyone on the roster in terms of getting bat on ball and deserves to be hitting around that clean up spot.  

First game that Martin did not pitch in, I think.  She and Perry each had two hits.  Fornis hit the CF wall for a triple, as Auburn won the game, score unknown.  Here's the link:

https://auburntigers.com/news/2018/10/18/softball-tigers-close-out-fall-slate-with-victory.aspx?path=softball

On 10/22/2018 at 7:20 PM, auburnphan said:

If you guys are on twitter follow @wardamnsoftball.  He/She just gave a summary of the players and fall ball and is a great follow.

Not sure how objective he is, sounds like the everyone on the team is an all-star. The freshman are "too good" not to see the field, but 2/3 of them didn't even play because of injury. 🤔

On 10/25/2018 at 3:27 PM, wildling said:

Not sure how objective he is, sounds like the everyone on the team is an all-star. The freshman are "too good" not to see the field, but 2/3 of them didn't even play because of injury. 🤔

fair enough, give me a better source to find.  I may have missed what you have shared.

Some fun photos of the players and staff in Hallowe'en costumes on the Twitter page.  I couldn't figure out who all of them were, but I'm awarding the Older Whiskey Pappy van Winkle Trophy to McCrackin for best costume.

Dqyy-6GXcAA_-BW.jpg

20 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Some fun photos of the players and staff in Hallowe'en costumes on the Twitter page.  I couldn't figure out who all of them were, but I'm awarding the Older Whiskey Pappy van Winkle Trophy to McCrackin for best costume.

Dqyy-6GXcAA_-BW.jpg

Wow her shadow goes 4 different ways scary stuff................ghosts and goblins

Archived