Know your opponent

bigbird

Hi War Eagle Fans, looking forward to our top 10 matchup opener this Saturday. Nothing is better than flying in for gameday and to watch MY DAWGS on a glorious and crisp Saturday in Atlanta. 

Anyway, I really think UW has a chance to go all the way this year, and that starts with a win this weekend. Here’s 5 reasons why I like my DAWGS to win.

1. Jack “Cobra” Browning. He is the best player on the field, enough said on that. He has 4 years of high school and 3 of college under his belt and will do whatever he can to win the game.

2. Offensive Line. We average a weight of 332 across the line, and they are ready to dominate the line of scrimmage. MacGeary, Tray Adams, Center, Ossai, Hatchie. These boys have an attitude and are ready to rumble!!!

3. Lake/Kawasaki. A new defensive scheme and a new attitude. Everyone is speaking out about the difference between our game plan on defense with co-defensive coordinators and our game planning since last year. Even without Virta Vea, you will see a much improved defense this weekend.

4. Speed, speed, speed. this is the fastest team washington has had this century, maybe since 1991! John Ross XIV, Salvon Ahmed, Charlie McClutchens,, Ben Burr-Kirvin, JORDAN Chin, Ry Bowman, Louis Rankin, Levi “acid wash” Ondzuirake, Ossai, etc.The newbies will be inexperienced but we bring a new dimension that the program has not had in years, speed.

5. time of possession. I think we can win the time of possession battle in this one. the more we can control the ball and keep our defense off the field, the greater chance we’ll have to win.

I think UW wins this one rather easily, say… 34-17???

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Actually I think UW might actually be the toughest test we face and here is why . 1 they are not a yearly opponent such as other teams we play. 2 Peterson is a lot better offensive coach than we will see the rest of the year. 3 they have probably spent a lot more prep time on us than we on them, mainly because our schedule is much tougher than their’s. 4 Gus has in the past struggled with the early games usually trying to overthink things. Hoping number 4 ceases to be this year. 5. Hotlanta has not been kind to us lately. All said I think we will win this one and the confidence will bode us well for the remainder of the year. WDE beat them Huskies.

I don’t necessarily disagree with any of that but from top to bottom , UW is not more talented than Bama, UGA or LSU. Doesn’t mean they won’t be a better team 

52 minutes ago, Baysman said:

Hi Tiger Fans, looking forward to our top 10 matchup opener this Saturday. Nothing is better than flying in for gameday and to watch MY DAWGS on a glorious and crisp Saturday in Atlanta. 

Anyway, I really think UW has a chance to go all the way this year, and that starts with a win this weekend. Here’s 5 reasons why I like my DAWGS to win.

1. Jack “Cobra” Browning. He is the best player on the field, enough said on that. He has 4 years of high school and 3 of college under his belt and will do whatever he can to win the game.

2. Offensive Line. We average a weight of 332 across the line, and they are ready to dominate the line of scrimmage. MacGeary, Tray Adams, Center, Ossai, Hatchie. These boys have an attitude and are ready to rumble!!!

3. Lake/Kawasaki. A new defensive scheme and a new attitude. Everyone is speaking out about the difference between our game plan on defense with co-defensive coordinators and our game planning since last year. Even without Virta Vea, you will see a much improved defense this weekend.

4. Speed, speed, speed. this is the fastest team washington has had this century, maybe since 1991! John Ross XIV, Salvon Ahmed, Ben Burr-Kirvin, JORDAN Chin, Ry Bowman, Louis Rankin, Levi “acid wash” Ondzuirake, Ossai, etc.The newbies will be inexperienced but we bring a new dimension that the program has not had in years, speed.

5. time of possession. I think we can win the time of possession battle in this one. the more we can control the ball and keep our defense off the field, the greater chance we’ll have to win.

Looking forward to the game as well, but some if your assumptions are way off.

1)  Browning, according to NFL Scouts, isn't even the best QB on the field, much less player.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019QB.php

2)  Cool, you have a bunch of fat guys.  So did Arkansas with Bret Bielema and we drilled them every year.  The question is, can they block a combination of power and speed?  Considering the only times UW has really faced that combination in the last two years, they've lost, I have my doubts.  (Referring to Bama, USC, and Penn State)

3)  This is an interesting factor. New schemes make it harder for AU to game plan, but also make it harder for UW to get used to.

4)  You really think AU is worried about speed?  That's what the SEC thrives on.  Hell, there are two world class sprinters on the roster for Auburn.

5)  AU often loses time of possession battles.  Can be one of the most over-rated stats in football without context.

You guys have an excellent team and head coach, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if UW wins, but a 17 point spread ain't happening.  I'll be shocked if either team scores more than 28.  Both defenses are just too good.

1 hour ago, Baysman said:

Hi War Eagle Fans, looking forward to our top 10 matchup opener this Saturday. Nothing is better than flying in for gameday and to watch MY DAWGS on a glorious and crisp Saturday in Atlanta. 

4. Speed, speed, speed. this is the fastest team washington has had this century, maybe since 1991! John Ross XIV, Salvon Ahmed, Charlie McClutchens,, Ben Burr-Kirvin, JORDAN Chin, Ry Bowman, Louis Rankin, Levi “acid wash” Ondzuirake, Ossai, etc.The newbies will be inexperienced but we bring a new dimension that the program has not had in years, speed.

Did you really have to create an account on our board to highlight your homerism, provide only commentary that benefits your huskers and tell us we would be no match ? 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did you really have to create an account on our board to highlight your homerism, provide only commentary that benefits your huskers and tell us we would be no match ? 

Huskies. Nebraska are the Huskers. And homerism? The game is in Atlanta, long ways from Seattle. No home field advantage for UW.

also, I stated my opinion with question marks, leaving it open for discussion.

10 minutes ago, Baysman said:

Huskies. Nebraska are the Huskers. And homerism? The game is in Atlanta, long ways from Seattle. No home field advantage for UW.

also, I stated my opinion with question marks, leaving it open for discussion.

I don’t care if they call you the puppies, it’s pretty ridiculous to come over here and express the homerism ( homerism vs home field advantage, not the same) and expect a rational discussion . Did you even weigh out the pros and cons of both teams before even coming to your conclusion ? You mention your offensive line size? Okay and? You are about to face one of the most talented defensive lines in the country. You mentioned speed? We are in the freaking SEC. I am not going to even waste my time going any further. 

7 hours ago, Baysman said:

Thanks for your opinion and i hope it is a good game either way. 

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Thanks for your opinion and i hope it is a good game either way. 

Me, as well. I’m just hoping nobody gets hurt, on either side. Any recommendations for fun things to do in Atlanta? I know it’s not a home game for ya’lls but figure I’d ask.

10 hours ago, toddc said:

Is sana -flush still open? That’s what we called it, endearingly of course, back 1982! Loved that hole in the wall little place. Also loved “soap and suds laundry “ too, wash clothes and drink beer and play Tron...

Nah the original is long gone. They moved it out next to a laundromat on Dean sometime in the 90s and eventually closed. I think there is some sort of a replica now at the alumni center but I haven't seen it. You can still buy t-shirt from Long Lost Vintage Tees though. 

9 hours ago, Baysman said:

Gonna be Hot and Humid as Hell in Hotlanta - prepare accordingly.

30 minutes ago, Baysman said:

Me, as well. I’m just hoping nobody gets hurt, on either side. Any recommendations for fun things to do in Atlanta? I know it’s not a home game for ya’lls but figure I’d ask.

You seem a bit naive with your football observations/opinions/smack talk, so I'll be kind and focus on the Atlanta part. What are your interests? Food, drink, civil rights history, strip clubs? 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You seem a bit naive with your football observations/opinions/smack talk, so I'll be kind and focus on the Atlanta part. What are your interests? Food, drink, civil rights history, strip clubs

In Atlanta, these are all one and the same...

34 minutes ago, Baysman said:

Welcome to the forum!  We hope you enjoy your time in Atlanta.

There are a few things to do here.  The main attractions are the Georgia Aquarium which is a must, Coca-Cola factory is also fun, as the College Football HOF is also here.  If the Braves are playing this weekend they have a brand new stadium you might enjoy.  

I will suggest if you are doing the aquarium to go ahead and get tickets online for sure.  And be prepared for the humidity down here.    It is a fun town to be, and our fans are typically nice to be around.  Auburn is typically very welcoming to opposing fans.  I also suggest taking MARTA to the stadium.  There will be a lot of traffic as you could imagine.  I hope this helps!

Atlanta has the Avengers (Porsche) Headquarters:

image.png

From the same movie, we also have the Museum of Great Britain (High Museum):

image.png

Can't guarantee you any Black Widow appearances, though - or Thor, if that's what you're into.

EDIT - NOT the same movie, in fact. Same series, I guess. The "Museum of Great Britain" was from Black Panther. Sorry for the confusion.

C'mon Tiger fans....be nice......he's just trying to get a conversation going.....and sure was successful at doing that.  

So he likes his team and thinks they are superior....and our folks would probably not trade any of our players for any of theirs.   And yes.....like most AU fans, he watches his home team and some others in the conference and has only a general idea of the quality of play elsewhere.

SO

I figure a pretty good defensive battle and 30 points to the winner.

Key for AU is holding onto the ball.    We have had some problems in that regard in important games.....so gotta have zero fumbles and zero INTs....can't make it easy for the Udubs.

I'm thinking the AU crowd dominance will be less that we might expect.  Seems that Udub is taking this game very seriously and fans will show up in big enough quantity to let their team know they are there.  AU folks at the game should try to make this sound like an Auburn home game. 

5 minutes ago, looney said:

Atlanta has the Avengers (Porsche) Headquarters:

image.png

From the same movie, we also have the Museum of Great Britain (High Museum):

image.png

Can't guarantee you any Black Widow appearances, though - or Thor, if that's what you're into.

Yeah, good point. Very well might come across a movie set. Can't forget Cobb Energy starring as the CDC in Walking Dead.

Oh, also, DragonCon and Atlanta Black Pride that weekend. Probably some good concerts. Labor Day in the A, gotta love it. 

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

C'mon Tiger fans....be nice......he's just trying to get a conversation going.....and sure was successful at doing that.  

So he likes his team and thinks they are superior....and our folks would probably not trade any of our players for any of theirs.   And yes.....like most AU fans, he watches his home team and some others in the conference and has only a general idea of the quality of play elsewhere.

SO

Key for AU is holding onto the ball.    We have had some problems in that regard in important games.....so gotta have zero fumbles and zero INTs....can't make it easy for the Udubs.

I'm thinking the AU crowd dominance will be less that we might expect.  Seems that Udub is taking this game very seriously and fans will show up in big enough quantity to let their team know they are there.  AU folks at the game should try to make this sound like an Auburn home game. 

Didnt i read that UW had to send back tickets because they didn't sell out their allotment? I may be wrong or things may have changed, but id expect it to be atleast 60% or more AU.  As for the rest, Turnovers will be key. Neither team can afford to give their opponent a free possession.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

SO

His homerism is only rivaled by yours. Speak for yourself. I’ve said countless of times we could definitely lose this game. Crowd Dominance is super overrated in my eyes. What it really will come down to is coaching. 

7 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Didnt i read that UW had to send back tickets because they didn't sell out their allotment? I may be wrong or things may have changed, but id expect it to be atleast 60% or more AU.  As for the rest, Turnovers will be key. Neither team can afford to give their opponent a free possession.

I don't think the game is even sold out.  There are a ton of cheap tickets on StubHub.  Wish I had waited to buy mine instead of paying full price.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't think the game is even sold out.  There are a ton of cheap tickets on StubHub.  Wish I had waited to buy mine instead of paying full price.

Man, you weren't kidding.. less then $100 for lower level.  

Bruh leads off with War Eagle fans and JACK "Cobra" Browning is the best player on the field but doesn't even know his name ---- CANNOT take seriously. 

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

C'mon Tiger fans....be nice......he's just trying to get a conversation 

So any well-informed Auburn fans who offer constructive criticisms are "negative nancys", but we want to roll out the red carpet for the opponent when they predict an easy win for their team on our forum? I hear Seattle's nice this time of year.

We should always roll out the red carpet for opposing fans and then graciously hand them a tissue after the game.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:14 AM, bigbird said:

I haven't seen enough of them to give an informed opinion really.  I do think their secondary is better than our receivers, so we will need to be able to out scheme them.  Their 2-4-5 defense that they like will take away our screen game so we will need to adjust to that.  

I think they will be weakest up the middle so I would expect us to attack that area in the run game.

Lots of RPO's.   

Archived