Auburn Towing

tigerbrotha12

Ok this has gotten ridiculous. Normally, I’m quick to defend businesses that operate logically and within well-defined rules, but this is absurd.

I had to run over to a large Auburn apartment complex tonight to help my girlfriend of 2 years hang up some lights. I was gonna do that, kiss her goodnight, and be on my merry way. When I got to the complex, the guest parking spots were all full. Since I didn’t think I would be gone long, I simply parked in a regular spot, and figured I’d be okay considering the small amount of time I would be there, and the large amount of regular spots that were still available around me in multiple places. I wasn’t taking up anyone’s designated parking space, and there were plenty of spaces right around me.

I was inside a bit longer than what I had expected of about 30 mins. I ended up staying about an hour. I walked outside, and my car was gone. 

I certainly understand that a towing company has rules that you must operate by, but I simply ask the question of “if you don’t want me to park in the regular spots, and guest parking is full, where would you like me to park? Maybe at the complex across the street? Nope! That’s a tow away zone as well!” 

I was not infringing upon anyone’s ability to park. There were plenty of spaces available around me and guest parking was completely full. Now I’ve got a $150 bill on my head.

I just would like to know if I am at all morally justified here. I understand I was technically outside the rules, but 1.) what am I expected to do? and 2.) should there not be a level of discernability with these Auburn towing companies? I know that’s their business, but I see no customer the business is actually serving in this case.

Let me know if I’m outside my moral compass here...

EDIT: Took out the name of the apartment for privacy 

Edited by tigerbrotha12

On 8/28/2018 at 1:51 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Ok this has gotten ridiculous. Normally, I’m quick to defend businesses that operate logically and within well-defined rules, but this is absurd.

I had to run over to a large Auburn apartment complex tonight to help my girlfriend of 2 years hang up some lights. I was gonna do that, kiss her goodnight, and be on my merry way. When I got to the complex, the guest parking spots were all full. Since I didn’t think I would be gone long, I simply parked in a regular spot, and figured I’d be okay considering the small amount of time I would be there, and the large amount of regular spots that were still available around me in multiple places. I wasn’t taking up anyone’s designated parking space, and there were plenty of spaces right around me.

I was inside a bit longer than what I had expected of about 30 mins. I ended up staying about an hour. I walked outside, and my car was gone. 

I certainly understand that a towing company has rules that you must operate by, but I simply ask the question of “if you don’t want me to park in the regular spots, and guest parking is full, where would you like me to park? Maybe at the complex across the street? Nope! That’s a tow away zone as well!” 

I was not infringing upon anyone’s ability to park. There were plenty of spaces available around me and guest parking was completely full. Now I’ve got a $150 bill on my head.

I just would like to know if I am at all morally justified here. I understand I was technically outside the rules, but 1.) what am I expected to do? and 2.) should there not be a level of discernability with these Auburn towing companies? I know that’s their business, but I see no customer the business is actually serving in this case.

Let me know if I’m outside my moral compass here...

EDIT: Took out the name of the apartment for privacy 

Frustrating.  It's been awhile but I've been in your shoes.

The hard part is, the towing companies are just doing their jobs as well.  They only place to take it up is the management company of the apt complex - you either need a pass or they need more guest parking.  Either way, not an easy/good solution.

Good luck and relax in the fact that 10 years from now this will be nothing more than a good story!  War Eagle brother and enjoy your time at Auburn!

Do what I did in college.  Create a fake parking pass that looks really close to your girlfriend's apartment passes.  The towing companies are too dumb to notice the difference.

You can't blame the towing company.  The complex management probably makes the call to them.  I doubt the tow truck drivers just ride through complexes looking for illegally parked vehicles.  Somebody reported it to the towing company.  

So yeah, discussions with the apartment manager may help.  Then there is always the fake pass as mentioned above.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 8:04 PM, around4ever said:

You can't blame the towing company.  The complex management probably makes the call to them.  I doubt the tow truck drivers just ride through complexes looking for illegally parked vehicles.  Somebody reported it to the towing company.  

So yeah, discussions with the apartment manager may help.  Then there is always the fake pass as mentioned above.  

I bet they do. I've seen them cruise the AU parking lots also. They got a contract with a company to keep the lot clean they are gonna do it, plus they are losing out on money by not doing so. I think it would be bad business to just sit and wait on a call.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Evil vultures.

I caught a dude trying to boot my sports car (legally parked). We discussed the situation. He became belligerent and threatening. Clearly on drugs. When he started shouting profanities to my wife, he suddenly looked down the wrong end of my old Colt Python .357 with 6 HPs. I told him he can back off and leave or go to jail via the hospital.

He turned ashen and got back into his tow truck just as the Auburn  PD officers arrived. My wife recorded everything on her cell phone.

He apologized. I didn't press charges. Told him to get a real job and if I ever see him again, I will engage surprise, speed, and extreme violence of attack.

Lessons learned: 

• A .357 HP has no conscience.
  • Don't park illegally
  • Don't mess with/threaten an old Vietnam Crawler 'n Brawler, Shooter 'n Looter. Hopper 'n Popper with extreme PTSD.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2018 at 9:04 PM, around4ever said:

I doubt the tow truck drivers just ride through complexes looking for illegally parked vehicles.  Somebody reported it to the towing company. 

That is exactly what they do. It is a huge racket. Nobody calls them. They patrol at certain intervals hoping to catch someone. They love college campuses. They do this here in the ATL at KSU. Kids get towed all the time. They figure mommy and daddy will pay it.  At $150 a pop, its a great business. My kids learned the hard way. Daddy will not pay.

So the only thing you can do is don't take a chance. 

I too see them as evil vultures.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 8:04 PM, around4ever said:

doubt the tow truck drivers just ride through complexes looking for illegally parked vehicles.  Somebody reported it to the towing company.  

That's exactly what they do. Aggressive. Like vultures.

• 1 year later...

I understand the dilemma, but it's private property and if it's clearly marked that the owner of that private property doesn't want you to park in a certain spot and you do, I don't understand getting angry. 

Imagine someone parking in your front yard without your permission—in fact, let's say you put out signs clearly telling people that if they park on your lawn they will get towed—and they ignore the signs and do it anyway and you have them towed and they are angry about it, and their justification is, "But I wasn't there long," or "Where am I supposed to park?"  or, "I wasn't taking up much space and you had the whole rest of the yard free," would that make it o.k. for you?

Again, I get the frustration, but it's not the property owner's problem where you are supposed to park.  Their problem is that they have an apartment complex full of people who are paying rent and part of that rent is supposed to guarantee them a parking spot.

I hope I'm not coming off as being overly critical, but you asked whether you are outside of your moral compass and I think you are.  I think if you were the property owner/manager with the responsibility of guaranteeing the parking spots that other people were paying for you would see it differently.  And property mangers have lots more pressing things to attend to than determining on a case by case basis whether every single person who parked where they weren't supposed to was keeping a resident from their parking spot or whether they were there "for very long," or whatever other reason someone thinks they shouldn't be towed for parking where it said, "If you park here you will be towed."  I understand why they have to have a blanket policy.

Edited by Shoney'sPonyBoy