Things I'll Be Looking For

JMR

i love your posts coach. here is washingtons record for last year i believe.

@ Rutgers W 30 14
Montana W 63 7
Fresno State W 48 16
@ Colorado W 37 10
@ Oregon State W 42 7
California W 38 7
@ Arizona State L 7 13
UCLA W 44 23
Oregon W 38 3
@ Stanford L 22 30
Utah W 33 30
(14) Washington State W 41 14
(9) Penn State L 28 35

their record to me does not scare me much at all even tho i know peterson is a good coach. do you think by their record washington might be a tad overrated? and i like washington so i am not dissing them just looking for facts with someone that has a better knowledge of what is and what appears to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

@ Rutgers W 30 14
Montana W 63 7
Fresno State W 48 16
@ Colorado W 37 10
@ Oregon State W 42 7
California W 38 7
@ Arizona State L 7 13
UCLA W 44 23
Oregon W 38 3
@ Stanford L 22 30
Utah W 33 30
(9) Penn State L 28 35

their record to me does not scare me much at all even tho i know peterson is a good coach. do you think by their record washington might be a tad overrated? and i like washington so i am not dissing them just looking for facts with someone that has a better knowledge of what is and what appears to be.

I do believe they're very good, but like you, I also think they're a little overrated. We'll find out pretty soon now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

once again i appreciate your knowledge and insights! i read everything i can you and pass put out!

27 minutes ago, JMR said:

Malzahn has said, “We will not be using the rugby-style punt”.

Hadn't heard this. Might have something to do with the tight race between the two guys.

https://www.google.com/search?q=washington+at+rutgers+2017&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS709US709&oq=washington+at+rutgers&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.6503j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=m;/g/11dxb8sd3t;6;/m/012hfxch;dt;fp;1

Check out how Washington looked opening up on the road against Rutgers last season. It was not until a Donte Pettis punt return that they really got going. I know it is a different team / different season but I hope they start this slow again and let us get a score and turnover early! I expect to see A LOT of Gaskins. Ill be looking to see if we wrap up on tackles - because you have to with this guy. 

16 minutes ago, JMR said:

Outside zone, play action. I think that’s what we will get. You?

In the passing game, I can see them using a lot of double moves. Also rubs and crossing routes from bunches.  I also expect them to use Gaskin matched up against our  LB. I also wouldn't be shocked if we saw some type of boot action to avoid/slow the rush.

I agree about the run game.  I don't think they will be very successful up the middle.

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic
  • WarTiger changed the title to Things I'll Be Looking For
5 hours ago, bigbird said:

In the passing game, I can see them using a lot of double moves. Also rubs and crossing routes from bunches.  I also expect them to use Gaskin matched up against our  LB. I also wouldn't be shocked if we saw some type of boot action to avoid/slow the rush.

I agree about the run game.  I don't think they will be very successful up the middle.

I am hoping we can at least stop-up the middle and keep their QB in the pocket and not let him scramble free...just hoping.

I think that if Washington was in the SEC, you would likely see a team with a record in the neighborhood of 7-5 to 9-3 at best. Most SEC teams would likely have the same, if not better chance of equaling Washington's record if they played each team UW played.  I think we will win this game and will win it convincingly.

• Like 1

Thanks, as always, Coach @JMR!

One thing that stuck out at me was UW running a handful of plays from a variety of formations to catch the defense off guard and create a mismatch or missed assignment   

This was encouraging to me because of our experience up front, the 2nd DC Deshaun Davis handling things in the middle, and Dinson’s high IQ and experience in the back!   I feel like we are set up well to handle this type of offense.  

To piggy back off of what @bigbird said, if Browning has time to let things develop (such as double moves, rubs, and routes that go across the field) were in trouble!  If he has a 280+ pounder chasing him down before those plays develop, I really, really like our chances!

Edited by AUpreacherman22

On 8/28/2018 at 10:34 AM, JMR said:

I do believe they're very good, but like you, I also think they're a little overrated. We'll find out pretty soon now!

i post that and then here i think herbie say this is petersons best team so far.................uh oh.   lol

On 8/28/2018 at 10:31 AM, aubiefifty said:

@ Rutgers W 30 14
Montana W 63 7
Fresno State W 48 16
@ Colorado W 37 10
@ Oregon State W 42 7
California W 38 7
@ Arizona State L 7 13
UCLA W 44 23
Oregon W 38 3
@ Stanford L 22 30
Utah W 33 30
(9) Penn State L 28 35

Good point.  They gave up 30 points 3 times!  And there isn't much offense on the rest of that list.  Maybe "the best defense in the PAC12" is a bit overrated? 

Looks like against quality opponents they were 3-3.  (6 of their final 7 opponents, back-loaded schedule)  All 3 losses away from home. 

Just basing it off of this, outside of the ASU game, their O looked pretty consistent.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Good point.  They gave up 30 points 3 times!  And there isn't much offense on the rest of that list.  Maybe "the best defense in the PAC12" is a bit overrated? 

Looks like against quality opponents they were 3-3.  (6 of their final 7 opponents, back-loaded schedule)  All 3 losses away from home. 

Just basing it off of this, outside of the ASU game, their O looked pretty consistent.

i have huge respect for coach peterson so i am taking nothing for granted. i just think we look better this year out of the gate than most years which i think means good things for us...........

• Like 2

On 8/28/2018 at 11:22 AM, JMR said:

Possibly the biggest difference between Auburn and the PAC-12 teams Washington plays throughout their season is the overall quality of the defensive line. Looking back at the 2010 BCS Championship game between AU and Oregon, the biggest differentiator in that game was the quality of Auburn’s defensive line. Oregon could not block Nick Fairley and the rest of the AU front, and therefore could not establish their run game. This year’s AU defensive front is one of the best and deepest in all of college football. Washington sees great players in their conference, but not from end-to-end like they will see in this game. With an air-conditioned stadium, heat will obviously not be a factor, but even if you’re playing in 50-degree weather, fatigue is always there. Auburn’s depth and speed up front might prove to be the difference in the game. Hard to play against something you haven’t seen before, and to my knowledge, there are no teams in the PAC-12 with a defensive front as fast and talented as Auburn’s. Will Auburn’s talent and depth wear down the Huskies?

This analysis is so on point, IMO.  I think AU's defense is the difference in this game.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RunInRed said:

This analysis is so on point, IMO.  I think AU's defense is the difference in this game.

To @JMR's and your point, that Washington clown in the other thread is claiming (whether seriously or in troll mode) that we've never seen anything like their 270lb DE. Lol. Kinda summarizes what they have and are used to vs what we have and are used to. 

We should be able to rush 4 for most of the game. That's going to pay dividends for our ability to defend outside and downfield, even with our less experienced secondary. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To @JMR's and your point, that Washington clown in the other thread is claiming (whether seriously or in troll mode) that we've never seen anything like their 270lb DE. Lol. Kinda summarizes what they have and are used to vs what we have and are used to. 

We should be able to rush 4 for most of the game. That's going to pay dividends for our ability to defend outside and downfield, even with our less experienced secondary. 

LOL!  I didn't read the other post.  He's right, we haven't seen anything like that....we have 2 280+ DEs that can run and move like much smaller men.  Our DL is going to be fun to watch this year!!!  Consistent pressure on their QB is  the key to this game.  If we get it, we're golden.  If we don't we're in trouble.

• Like 1

Honestly, this could easily evolve into a 1 score game if Auburn comes out 'tight and nervous' or if  Gus sets it up that way.     Now I trust fully in K Steele, enough said.   

I ultimately think it will come down to how can Chip/Gus adjust at half or on the fly, b/c we know Peterson can adjust on the fly.  I doubt Wash can score more than 24 (if it were midseason I would guess 17).   Our new secondary will likely have some busted plays; playing a near perfect game is unrealistic, out of the box.

On 8/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, aubiefifty said:

i have huge respect for coach peterson so i am taking nothing for granted. i just think we look better this year out of the gate than most years which i think means good things for us...........

I see you are from Anniston. My older brother lives there. A nice area indeed!

• Like 1