Things I'll Be Looking For

JMR

9 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I see you are from Anniston. My older brother lives there. A nice area indeed!

yes doc i live in the saks area tho i am originally from gadsden.

Coach..or does anyone know....did Chip coach against Washington when he was at ASU????

On 8/29/2018 at 5:03 PM, aubiefifty said:

i just think we look better this year out of the gate than most years which i think means good things for us........... 

I simply don't know what to expect. Based on our record against decent teams early in the season, I am very cautious about getting too excited. We seem to hit our stride around mid season. A new OL and RBs, may keep Washington in the game. Not worried at all about the D, they will keep the score low. However, will our O be ready. History says not so fast my friend. We struggle against top ten teams in the first half of the season. Maybe the more intense contact in fall practice will get us ready. I certainly hope so. No room in my emotions for another embarrassing start. Time to start being a contender, not a disappointment. WDE!

10 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Coach..or does anyone know....did Chip coach against Washington when he was at ASU????

Yes. Washington 44, ASU 18.  

I am a new member and therefore cannot post a new topic so pls. post this as a new topic.  I think it is very important!

I was somewhere between “taken aback” and “shocked” last night when SEC commish Greg Sankey laid out his opening weekend game itinerary in a half time interview.   No he WILL NOT be attending the highest profile and most significant game in the nation tomorrow which just so happens to include last year’s SEC Western Division Champion.  That’s right, Mr. Sankey will not be at the Auburn game.  Instead of watching one of his conference teams play in a game which may have final four implications, he will be at the Ole Miss – Texas Tech game.  That’s right, he will be watching two unranked teams play in Lubbock.  In my opinion this makes no sense.  It seems to me that a halftime interview with him in a game that is the “Game of the Week” and will be viewed nationwide promotes our conference much more than a game that will be only watched by parts of Miss. and Texas.

I think this is a major “dis” to our program.  Therefore, I THINK THE AU FAMILY NEEDS TO GET THE WORD OUT TODAY AND EXPRESS OUR DISSATISFACTION WITH THIS.  The number to the SEC office is: (205) 458-3000.  As soon as they open I’m going to call and try to obtain Mr. Sankey’s e-mail address.  Also post to Mr. Sankey’s Facebook page and call your local sports talk station.   Let’s really have an all out effort today over this!  OF COURSE ALL MESSAGES SHOULD BE CLASSY AND RESPECTFUL.  We just want to register our dissatisfaction and show support for the best college football program in the country.   THANK YOU AND WAR EAGLE!

36 minutes ago, Tusc Tiger said:

I am a new member and therefore cannot post a new topic so pls. post this as a new topic.  I think it is very important!

I was somewhere between “taken aback” and “shocked” last night when SEC commish Greg Sankey laid out his opening weekend game itinerary in a half time interview.   No he WILL NOT be attending the highest profile and most significant game in the nation tomorrow which just so happens to include last year’s SEC Western Division Champion.  That’s right, Mr. Sankey will not be at the Auburn game.  Instead of watching one of his conference teams play in a game which may have final four implications, he will be at the Ole Miss – Texas Tech game.  That’s right, he will be watching two unranked teams play in Lubbock.  In my opinion this makes no sense.  It seems to me that a halftime interview with him in a game that is the “Game of the Week” and will be viewed nationwide promotes our conference much more than a game that will be only watched by parts of Miss. and Texas.

I think this is a major “dis” to our program.  Therefore, I THINK THE AU FAMILY NEEDS TO GET THE WORD OUT TODAY AND EXPRESS OUR DISSATISFACTION WITH THIS.  The number to the SEC office is: (205) 458-3000.  As soon as they open I’m going to call and try to obtain Mr. Sankey’s e-mail address.  Also post to Mr. Sankey’s Facebook page and call your local sports talk station.   Let’s really have an all out effort today over this!  OF COURSE ALL MESSAGES SHOULD BE CLASSY AND RESPECTFUL.  We just want to register our dissatisfaction and show support for the best college football program in the country.   THANK YOU AND WAR EAGLE!

JFYI, they're playing in Houston.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Does experience relative to competition help us here? We played six teams last year that ended up in the top 25 and were 3-3. Washington played 2 (Stanford and penn state) and lost both.

This is the most important aspect to our season.  If these plays are not implemented and utilized in our offense then everything else won't matter.  Furthermore it would magnify the consensus that Gus hired Lindsey to call Gus' plays and nothing more.  These are elementary schemes that any coach would use to help the QB, and inexperienced OL, and RB's who struggle with pass pro.  Only an imbecile would go into this season running 25 yard pass patterns in blitzing situations.

In 2017, Jarrett Stidham was often affected by the pass rush, and especially by blitzes. There are many ways to beat a blitz, depending on how well it’s executed, but Auburn didn’t employ many of those in 2017. With what appears to be an exceptionally talented group of wide receivers, will Chip Lindsey include more “blitz beaters” in his offense? Will Jarrett Stidham be able to execute those he has in his arsenal? A scheme that takes advantage of a blitzing defense can lighten the load on a young offensive line in a major way. With a re-tooled offensive line and a stable of unproven running backs, Auburn’s offense may be required to lean heavily on it’s passing game at times this season. Controlling the pass rush will almost certainly be a key component of that circumstance.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/28/2018 at 11:17 AM, bigbird said:

In the passing game, I can see them using a lot of double moves. Also rubs and crossing routes from bunches.  I also expect them to use Gaskin matched up against our  LB. I also wouldn't be shocked if we saw some type of boot action to avoid/slow the rush.

I agree about the run game.  I don't think they will be very successful up the middle.

Myles Gaskin is actually the exact same size as Kam Martin - 5'10 193 lbs. 

I know he's a great athlete, but we may be looking at equally talented backs that play in separate conferences, so one seems better...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I know he's a great athlete, but we may be looking at equally talented backs that play in separate conferences, so one seems better...

I wonder if a lot of their fans think Gaskin is too small to be an elite runner

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Equal talent, maybe.  But 2 things:  1. Size and talent are 2 different things, so not necessarily.  And 2. MG has been the BMOC at UW for going on 4 years now.  So he has a HUGE edge when it comes to experience.   However, I doubt MG’s backups are as talented and fast as Whitlow, Worm, and Asa.  So depth advantage goes to AU.  

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Does experience relative to competition help us here? We played six teams last year that ended up in the top 25 and were 3-3. Washington played 2 (Stanford and penn state) and lost both.

It can’t hurt.  And yes, I think it does help.  They play a game like this 1-2 times a year.  We play games this big every other week.  

On 8/28/2018 at 11:17 AM, bigbird said:

In the passing game, I can see them using a lot of double moves.

If they run too many double move routes, I think we'll have a bunch of pressure on the Heisman hopeful QB on the other side of the ball. Our boys are just too danged good on the defensive line, and there are so many of them that I rather doubt the Washington line will be able to hold on very well.

Washington's OL is talented and very experienced. I think this will go a long way towards neutralizing AU's defensive line. Our LBers should be able to fill the holes,  the question is can they stop the outside runs. With no pressure on Browning it will be easy to pick our secondary apart. I think our offense will have to carry us in this game.

17 minutes ago, screamingeagle said:

Washington's OL is talented and very experienced. I think this will go a long way towards neutralizing AU's defensive line. Our LBers should be able to fill the holes,  the question is can they stop the outside runs. With no pressure on Browning it will be easy to pick our secondary apart. I think our offense will have to carry us in this game.

Washington's OL has never seen anything that resembles Auburn's DL. I was tailgating at the Iron Bowl before the game, and there was a UGA fan at the tailgate. He said he didn't want to see our defensive line again, because it scared him.

We've only gotten deeper and more experienced since then. 

On the flip side, we go up against defenses as talented or better than Washington's at least 2-3 times a year, and as young as the OL is, at least we do return 3 players who started a game last season. I think Coach is right that our OL's success hinges on Prince Tega living up to his size and athleticism.

I don't want to pump too much sunshine, because there are so many unknowns right now, and U Dub will come out pumped up about playing against an SEC team as highly rated as us. But the closer the game gets, the better I feel about it.

Besides their LT being out, one of their best TEs is also out! I think the depth of our defensive line and sr. LBs will be too much for Washington OL , especially in the 4th qtr.! If we can get a lead in 3rd qtr. we will start teeing off on Jake B.!!! War Eagle ? 

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

I wonder if a lot of their fans think Gaskin is too small to be an elite runner

Or if Peterson gets ripped for wearing him down. In 3 years, Gaskin already has 100 more carries than KJ had in 3 years, and he still has a whole season of carries ahead of him WDE RBU!!!

I know everyone is optimistic about some of their players being out, but isn’t their coach a master of trickery or something? I’m sure he’s had a plan for a while, right? 

I have a good feeling, but I’m still nervous! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I know everyone is optimistic about some of their players being out, but isn’t their coach a master of trickery or something? I’m sure he’s had a plan for a while, right? 

I have a good feeling, but I’m still nervous! 

Oh yeah..They're gonna get us with some of that stuff. Gonna be frustrating but hopefully we overcome it .

I pray to the good Lord that our new OLine gels and we avoid the Clemson repeat. I pray that Gus does not try to get too cute once we get into the red zone and ruin momentum, another Gus specialty the last few openers. I look forward to see an RB emerging as the lead. I hope to see our front 7 grow on top of last year's amazing play. Lastly, hope to the boys come out of this one healthy and with a nice W! War Eagle gents!