Purifoy returns to lineup against UAB

aubiefifty

Danjel Purifoy will return to Auburn basketball lineup against UAB

Updated Aug 28, 8:24 PM; Posted Aug 28, 8:24 PM

Auburn forward Danjel Purifoy (3) on the bench during the second half against UAB on Dec. 9, 2017, at Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett)

5 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Auburn basketball knows when its roster will be at full strength this upcoming season.

With Danjel Purifoy suspended by the NCAA for 30 percent of Auburn's games, the Tigers expect to have the 6-foot-7, 230-pound wing back for their Dec. 15 trip to Birmingham to face UAB at the BJCC.

"At UAB, probably going to be the first game he returns," Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said before a meeting of the Montgomery Auburn Club on Tuesday. "Start of the second semester."

Purifoy averaged 11.5 points and 4.7 rebounds in 29 games in 2016-17.

He missed all of last season due to his role in the FBI's case against former Auburn assistant coach Chuck Person, who along with co-defendant Rashan Michel stand accused of paying the mothers of Purifoy and Auburn center Austin Wiley to later use the services of a financial advisor, who the government says bribed Person.

With Purifoy out for the first nine games of the season, Auburn will have five guards, including just three wings, in the lineup. Bryce Brown and Samir Doughty are expected to start at shooting guard and small forward, respectively, with Malik Dunbar coming off the bench at both spots.

Pearl said how he utilizes personnel during that span, when Auburn plays Washington, Xavier and two other games in the Maui Invitational and Dayton, among others, will depend largely on junior college transfer J'Von McCormick.

"We're thin," Pearl said. "How quickly he develops and how quickly he is able to contribute. He's really picked up on things very, very quickly. I think at the wing spots it's quality, not quantity. We have five guards that can all play, but you'd love to have six or seven. We're a little thin in the backcourt."

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

Looking forward to seeing Purifoy go. Its been a long time since AU fans have seen him play. I bet his game has grown by leap and bounds since we last saw him. And man 6'7" 230 lbs!? Hope he learned how to go to the rim during his time off. Be a shame to see someone with those measurables sit at the 3 point line jacking up shots  

22 hours ago, cole256 said:

Another important piece if we don't try to make him a 4

I think with Spencer, Okeke, and McLemore we have enough people to play the 4 now without having to make Purifoy do it. Spencer and McLemore also can play the 5 allowing Wiley to stay fresh.  

Yessss it's before we play NC State so I will get to see him in action in person

*fist pump*

5 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I still thinks it’s dumb that he has to sit out 9 games after sitting out all of last year. 

I as well. Have you ever heard of any committee giving a guy a sentence of "one year and nine games"

On 9/1/2018 at 10:16 AM, bigbird said:

Do your time, come out and shine, smile on your way to the bank...

Well, if he hadn’t had to go to the bank in the first place, he wouldnt be in this mess! ?

Glad to see him back and more glad that he loves AU enough that he stayed here through it all and didn’t transfer to get a fresh start. Talent aside, I love a kid who loves AU that much. 

• 1 month later...

Purifoy was punished enough last year for the mistakes of adults.  A whole season lost.  And the NCAA is gonna tack on 10+ games this year?

I'm shocked he won't be available to play a full season.  This is ridiculous.

Can Auburn appeal this and try to get him on the court at the beginning of the season, like he should be?

13 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Purifoy was punished enough last year for the mistakes of adults.  A whole season lost.  And the NCAA is gonna tack on 10+ games this year?

I'm shocked he won't be available to play a full season.  This is ridiculous.

Can Auburn appeal this and try to get him on the court at the beginning of the season, like he should be?

I mean, after his stuff with the ACT and now this, I'd actually say that he's lucky to have any eligibility.  I'm happy to have him and we get him for all of SEC play which is great. Build up depth at the 3 too early so, it's definitely not the end of the world.

1 minute ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I mean, after his stuff with the ACT and now this, I'd actually say that he's lucky to have any eligibility.  I'm happy to have him and we get him for all of SEC play which is great. Build up depth at the 3 too early so, it's definitely not the end of the world.

I didn't know about the ACT issue.  But it seems odd to disqualify the kid for one whole year, and only part of the next.

Just now, KolchakAU85 said:

I didn't know about the ACT issue.  But it seems odd to disqualify the kid for one whole year, and only part of the next.

he missed his true freshman year because someone took the ACT for him so that'd he qualify. Never was "proven" but he refused to take it again himself to prove his point. And then this. He's kind of a repeat offender. I'm just happy to have him back. I think he may a bit of defensive liability but he *fingers crossed* is actually a more efficient and better offensive player than Stapha.

4 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

he missed his true freshman year because someone took the ACT for him so that'd he qualify. Never was "proven" but he refused to take it again himself to prove his point. And then this. He's kind of a repeat offender. I'm just happy to have him back. I think he may a bit of defensive liability but he *fingers crossed* is actually a more efficient and better offensive player than Stapha.

Yeah, I don't think Heron's departure will be bad for our team.  I thought he was only average defensively, and that is now our deepest position.  His scoring will be replaced.

Archived