***FINAL: AU 21 UW 16 — Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

3 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

No I think you do. Where is an opening to throw?

#47 wide open in right end zone!

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

True, but he was covered at the snap.  As he was breaking open, Willis had already planted his right foot, and had his head turned up field towards the Washington team picture who were all waving at him to welcome him into their arms.  Not sure what they worked on in practice, but it was botched.  Bigger issue, should never have been called in the first place.  You ALREADY had momentum, this was a chance to lose it or add to it in a very miniscule amount.

If Willis hadn't panicked with the pressure, he could've just pulled up and tossed it for the TD

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If Willis hadn't panicked with the pressure, he could've just pulled up and tossed it for the TD

True again, but that's why I said:

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not sure what they worked on in practice, but it was botched.

I'm sure Gus had this planned 2 weeks ago, but you got to take the feel of the game into consideration.  If Washington had gone down on their first drive and scored, I could see us wanting to take away their momentum by going ahead 8-7, but I just see no benefit of kicking their butt on defense the first series, scoring our first series and trying to get cute. #butGus I know.

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Not a knock on @bigbird but Texas High school players are extremely talented but also soft.  If your team is filled mostly on Tx kids they will be soft.

Watch Katy and Trinity Euless and tell me they are soft.  Of course, they are instituting tackling safety clinics for Texas HS coaches now, and I'm not up on the most recent teams so it may have changed.  Just because Mack Brown was soft as self serve ice cream, doesn't mean the HS players are soft.:laugh:

21 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

True again, but that's why I said:

I'm sure Gus had this planned 2 weeks ago, but you got to take the feel of the game into consideration.  If Washington had gone down on their first drive and scored, I could see us wanting to take away their momentum by going ahead 8-7, but I just see no benefit of kicking their butt on defense the first series, scoring our first series and trying to get cute. #butGus I know.

I am so proud of the #butgus meme.  It's sadly my only contribution to the forum other than one liner snarky comments.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:16 PM, doverstutts said:

typical malzahn opening game with the exception that this was a win....

Just so you know, Gus is now 5-1 in opening games.

10 minutes ago, Auskip said:

Just so you know, Gus is now 5-1 in opening games.

I was actually going to try to rip you on this... but I was wrong... Gus is 4-1 against non-cupcake teams in opening games.  Actually not that bad, considering the one loss was the to the eventual national champion clempson.  That is why I continue to hope for the best with Gus (even though I am an admitted negative nancy most of the time concerning his proclivities to repeat in futilities).

I'm still crying at the outcoached stuff.

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

And white guys can't jump,

all Blacks are good at sports,

all British have bad teeth,

Girls aren't good at sports, and

All Asians are good at math...amirite

Hey call a ball a ball and a strike a strike

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm still crying at the outcoached stuff.

Hey call a ball a ball and a strike a strike

Give it a break.  You and I disagree.

I think Gus out coached Chris... I provided my evidence earlier.  Here’s more...

21-16

Going for it on 4th down around mid field and being successful.  

Limiting negative plays by good game prep.  I think the Sacks/TFL were in our favor 9-3.   Plus 2 Turnovers to 0

Special Teams were controlled by AU.  

We have more talent.  Recruiting is part of coaching.

Where’s your evidence that I’m wrong and you’re correct?  I know already you got all the answers so throw them out there.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I think Gus out coached Chris... I provided my evidence earlier.  Here’s more...

21-16

Limiting negative plays by good game prep.  I think the Sacks/TFL were in our favor 9-3.   Plus 2 Turnovers to 0

Where’s your evidence that I’m wrong and you’re correct?  I know already you got all the answers so throw them out there.

I feel like you're just saying this cause we won lol. Past Gus's first couple drives script, the offensive play calling was about as bad as ever until that TD drive. Still forcing Kam with the dive up the middle even though that was the weak spot of the OL (and Kam's weak spot as a runner), Boobie didnt get damn near enough touches if thats what he wanted to do. Not chiming into Chip how they were dropping 8 and leaving the middle soon enough (literally the second to last drive of the game we adjusted to that).  No jet sweeps implemented, no RPOs, not enough to take advantage of incredibly fast guys like Shivers, Schwartz, maybe Seth, Ryan Davis, Devan Barnett. We were supposed to have gotten so much faster, yet plays that could actually show off that speed horizontally (other than those forsaken tunnel screens) were at a minimum.

Petersen's passing plays were a work of art and the running changeups they implemented seemed to me to be alot better than ours, they just had to face our front 7 instead. You rarely felt like Washington just didnt have a play for a situation after the first quarter in that game, that level of impotence is about all I felt from Gus in those middle 2 quarters.

I feel like being a good play caller means having a script, then being able to adjust when that script is over or needs to be altered. Alot of things looked great in those first few drives, but as with all games, I just don't see us being able to put a whole series of plays that end up clicking again. And I know we would've been condemning Gus, because this game shared alot of tendencies playcalling wise that LSU, Clemson and UGA did - the players just seemed to have naturally evolved to take it upon themselves in those trying times

29 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Whitlow needs more touches. 

You had a golden opportunity and left it hanging....:glare:

On 9/1/2018 at 6:23 PM, corchjay said:

What’s crazy to think about is as much complaining about the coaching.  Malzahn out coached Chris Petersen.  Think about that!!!

With due respect that's not saying much about that game. Both game plans were pretty flawed. For example, if Wash kept throwing the deep outside passes they would have won the game.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

With due respect that's not saying much about that game. Both game plans were pretty flawed. For example, if Wash kept throwing the deep outside passes they would have won the game.

Auburn didn't adjust its coverage to take that away?

My favorite part of this game was just before the half.  I started yelling at the TV when Gus lined up to take a knee with 40 seconds left. I thought, "Here we go again with the conservative crapola."  Then they ran the Woody play and continued to try for yards and move the ball down the field. Hopefully Gus really is starting to be more aggressive.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:10 PM, bigbird said:

That's why I think this experience for our Offense, especially the OL, will be an incredible asset moving forward.

Exactly! I’m grateful our team had to come out of the gate getting punched in the mouth. I’ve been very critical of Gus in the past, but those kids never gave up and fought their asses off for that win. I give Gus 1000% credit for that. For the youth we have on that team to come out and display the resilience they did Saturday speaks volumes to the teams mindset. A lot of other teams got to come out and coast to easy victories over overmatched opponents, this game will definitely pay dividends over the course of the season. I’m similarly impressed with LSUs dismantling of Miami, although I tend to think UM is intentionally overinflated for media shock value, it was a great win for them.

16 hours ago, corchjay said:

21-16

If Gus out coached Petersen then Washington wouldn't have scored a TD in less than a minute before the end of the 1st half. 

If Gus out coached Petersen then with the 2 TO's that Washington had we should have won by double digits instead of coming from behind and having to hang on to win by 5 points.

Remember all the talk about Miami last year and the turnover chain? If our defense isn't forcing turnovers against the better teams we face then we're in trouble. 

This was a nice win but after seeing some of the same people in the prediction thread predict a blowout but come back after the game to act like we made some kind of statement is laughable. We won a big game. That's great but we could have easily lost the game. Turnovers are what won us the game. But we still have a lot of work to do on offense if this team wants to win the SEC West again.

I'm glad we won but nobody should be glossing over the obvious flaws we have right now. I know it was the 1st game against a really good opponent but right now I'd say we're not as good as we were last year. Our running game is definitely still a concern.

Sorry fan91 but anyone predicting a blowout was displaying a real lack of knowledge about Wash.....and as I noted earlier...

.Petersen made some really strange calls in the red zone and clock management at the end was not good.  I don't think anyone out coached anyone but AU beat the "spread".and beat a higher rated team....just try to be happy.

Archived