***FINAL: AU 21 UW 16 — Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

1 hour ago, eainterplay said:

Pretty well, he executed a couple of really good reach blocks in the 2nd quarter that I remember. Actually the whole interior of the line had a really nice game. The tackles...were ok. Prince and Driscoll were good in pass protection, but Prince still struggles with letting guys cross his face in zone blocking patterns. Also Dricoll got ZERO push in his drive or zone blocks. I'd say he was the weakest link on the entire offense.

As for other areas,  corners were very good, Browning just put it in the perfect spot a couple of times. Front 7 was amazing as was expected. I don't know what the coaches saw in fall in camp, but Marshall's one punt was as bad or maybe worse than his horrible efforts last year where as Siposs had two nice punts.

The first two point conversion effort was wide open, I have no idea Willis didn't throw the ball. I liked the play call on the second one, Washington just made a good play staying home.

Welcome, you should post more.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, agent_jack said:

Agreed. Now with that being said, that could be a by product of how the offensive coaching staff wants to manage the game...  I don’t think he has that liberty or trust to be creative with his arm talent..

I thought of that too, but then I thought as soon as the run game got back right he was playing good again. I just need him to be his own separate entity. Like dude you can't break down when the run game break down

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I thought of that too, but then I thought as soon as the run game got back right he was playing good again. I just need him to be his own separate entity. Like dude you can't break down when the run game break down

And for a minute... it seemed to me ( and I could be wrong) that we went back to that run run pass syndrome and he was in 3rd and long obvious passing situations and he was solid in not fumbling or throwing ints.. however I did like the first down passing.. run game was just off tonight 

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

@McLoofus we got the win baby! You see what I have to go thru when I come back though. I do this for you though man....anything for my homie 

Damn right Cole! It was ugly and stressful at times but it ended up being worth the struggle. Just like this forum lol. 

Appreciate ya brother. Don't let em get to you. I've already butted heads with one of your assailants on this crap. I stand with you dude. Funny how you're the racist when you call balls and strikes how you see them, huh?

Agree with most of your thoughts on the game. We got work to do. But I do think this is a game that previous versions of Gus loses. Which means I think he's learning. 

15 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Is Brian VanGorder getting outcoached?

I bet you think Jason Campbell is better than Ben leard 

Some random thoughts/observations on the game:

Great, great win. Team showed heart and character. We got a few lucky breaks, but we made a few breaks too.  

Defense almost as good as advertised.  We dominated the line of scrimmage.  I don't understand why Washington kept running late.  All their success came from throwing.  Pass rush needs to get better.  Some missed sacks from running by the QB, but you have to give Browning credit.  Good pocket presence and elusive 1st step.

Stidham needs to get more consistent.  He is a 10/10 for arm strength and accuracy, but he has room to improve on throwing from the run, and making quicker decisions. He still gets rattled under pressure.  Tough things for sure, but I wouldn't quite put him in the elite QB status yet.   All the NFL talk misses the fact that he's still a little green.  He should continue to improve with experience.

Good lord, we are deep in quality receivers.  Can't remember anything like it.  We are going to hang A LOT of points on teams that don't have a good defense/pass rush.

Whitlow is our best back. Not a knock on Kam. I think we continue RB by committee, but look for more and more of Whitlow.  And look for the wildcat with him running it to become more prominent in the red zone.

O-line did okay. Washington was winning the battle at the LOS, thus our running game troubles, but pass protection was decent, and I expect them to continue to improve.

Isn't ending the season with Georgia, Alabama, and the SEC championship game tough enough?   Love this game now that we won it, but we would have been in the playoffs last year had we scheduled a cup cake instead of Clemson for the season opener.  Regardless, congrats to the players and coaches for a great win over a tough team!!

Lol Gus looks like the ultimate goober with that leather helmet. I am still waiting on those posters who went at me about Seth Williams seeing the field? Nah just kidding that’s petty lol. Honestly though I would like to see him and NCM more often . They made some tough catches in between defenders.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Damn right Cole! It was ugly and stressful at times but it ended up being worth the struggle. Just like this forum lol. 

Appreciate ya brother. Don't let em get to you. I've already butted heads with one of your assailants on this crap. I stand with you dude. Funny how you're the racist when you call balls and strikes how you see them, huh?

Agree with most of your thoughts on the game. We got work to do. But I do think this is a game that previous versions of Gus loses. Which means I think he's learning. 

Well it's always good to learn your lessons AND still win. As far as the other stuff it's crazy how people can hold grudges on stuff that's not even personal. And after one pop up everybody you ever disagreed with pop up too lol

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I bet you think Jason Campbell is better than Ben leard 

Never really pondered that question? Bobby P coached Jason Campbell so he was no slouch. Played some NFL.. but man that Ben Leard was a gamer and coached by Jimbo... Idk they both were good QBs. Don’t really care just give me that traditional Auburn run game. I’ll take Cadillac and Ronnie Brown.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Gusty call on 4th down by Steele man all out blitz

Gutsy call or the only call? I think it was the smart call, you can't give that QB all day or he will find an open WR. With the game clock were it was it was just the right call to make you either give up the big play and get the ball back with time left  or make the big play to win the game and our D made the play.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well it's always good to learn your lessons AND still win. As far as the other stuff it's crazy how people can hold grudges on stuff that's not even personal. And after one pop up everybody you ever disagreed with pop up too lol

Exactly! We made soooo many mistakes and still beat a damn good team. That's progress over previous years. 

And I love how you get folks in their feelings without trying lol

1 minute ago, kd4au said:

Gutsy call or the only call? I think it was the smart call, you can't give that QB all day or he will find an open WR. With the game clock were it was it was just the right call to make you either give up the big play and get the ball back with time left  or make the big play to win the game and our D made the play.

Steele pretty much said this ^^^^ in his post game interview.  I like his thought process on this call.  

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly! We made soooo many mistakes and still beat a damn good team. That's progress over previous years. 

Yes, yes, yes.

As another poster stated earlier, compare how we feel after this win vs how we felt after the Louisville win in '15.

I'll take this one.

I completely avoided the game thread, and I feel so much better post game as a result.

It all comes down to a matter of perspective, I guess. I’m just glad “we” won. Considering how much energy I put in. WDE.

5 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Never really pondered that question? Bobby P coached Jason Campbell so he was no slouch. Played some NFL.. but man that Ben Leard was a gamer and coached by Jimbo... Idk they both were good QBs. Don’t really care just give me that traditional Auburn run game. I’ll take Cadillac and Ronnie Brown.

Lol. It was a joke dude. It was from a previous convo I had. 

1 hour ago, AUJedi said:

It was a great win! But think UW overrated. We have to play better than that if we are to compete with the Bamas Georgias Ohio States Oklahomas of the world. Especially on the road. That’s just the world we live in now 

Can we take it one day at a time? We have no clue how good OU or UGA even is because they played crap teams. For all we know UW could give those two all they want. All I know is the coaches and media saw fit to call them a top ten team, pick them as the favorite to win the pac 12 and the audacity for some of them to pick them over us in Atlanta. With that all in mind, we beat what is considered a conference king of the hill member and I am totally fine running with it until proven otherwise. Plus it’s the first game. We came out with energy because it was like a home game , but realistically things went how most people expected. Defensive , low scoring affair.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Yes, yes, yes.

As another poster stated earlier, compare how we feel after this win vs how we felt after the Louisville win in '15.

I'll take this one.

You drank exactly 4 beers vicariously through me today, bud. Yours were better than mine smdh

I'm not seeing the love for Whitlow.

8 for 28yds and 1 of those was his 10yd TD.  That leave 7 for 18yds. That's 2.5 ypc. I enjoyed the toughness he showed on his TD run, but the other 7 left me wanting substantially more.

22 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Some random thoughts/observations on the game:

Isn't ending the season with Georgia, Alabama, and the SEC championship game tough enough?   Love this game now that we won it, but we would have been in the playoffs last year had we scheduled a cup cake instead of Clemson for the season opener.  Regardless, congrats to the players and coaches for a great win over a tough team!!

Exactly. At this point, should we just start scheduling cupcake OOC opponents from now on (especially early in the season)? Running the gauntlet of the SEC should be enough.

Of course, you would still have idiots like Herbie using that as an excuse to exclude Auburn (i.e. "Auburn doesn't have the resume", etc). They pulled that crap in 2004 because we played Citadel.

2 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I like Chandler Cox but if we never hand  the ball off to him again (much less ask him to pass) I’ll be extremely happy.

Haha he did catch the ball really well though , but yeah , he is truly just a lot of mass and not going anywhere unfortunately. Not against quality competition at least. I still think people will have to realize we might have to pass to open up the run game. I don’t mind passing in the flats and the safety outlets in space to pick up a few yards.

4 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I like Chandler Cox but if we never hand  the ball off to him again (much less ask him to pass) I’ll be extremely happy.

I'd be fine with him maybe in a short yardage situation. But not on 1st and 10, and definitely not as a QB.

Just now, McLoofus said:

It's fine if Cole rubs you the wrong way but y'all need to lay off this race crap. 

This^^^

Archived