***FINAL: AU 21 UW 16 — Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You drank exactly 4 beers vicariously through me today, bud. Yours were better than mine smdh

Ahhh, thank you.  Clearly, mine were drunk with brotherly love.  :cheers:

20 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Some random thoughts/observations on the game:

Great, great win. Team showed heart and character. We got a few lucky breaks, but we made a few breaks too.  

Defense almost as good as advertised.  We dominated the line of scrimmage.  I don't understand why Washington kept running late.  All their success came from throwing.  Pass rush needs to get better.  Some missed sacks from running by the QB, but you have to give Browning credit.  Good pocket presence and elusive 1st step.

Stidham needs to get more consistent.  He is a 10/10 for arm strength and accuracy, but he has room to improve on throwing from the run, and making quicker decisions. He still gets rattled under pressure.  Tough things for sure, but I wouldn't quite put him in the elite QB status yet.   All the NFL talk misses the fact that he's still a little green.  He should continue to improve with experience.

Good lord, we are deep in quality receivers.  Can't remember anything like it.  We are going to hang A LOT of points on teams that don't have a good defense/pass rush.

Whitlow is our best back. Not a knock on Kam. I think we continue RB by committee, but look for more and more of Whitlow.  And look for the wildcat with him running it to become more prominent in the red zone.

O-line did okay. Washington was winning the battle at the LOS, thus our running game troubles, but pass protection was decent, and I expect them to continue to improve.

Isn't ending the season with Georgia, Alabama, and the SEC championship game tough enough?   Love this game now that we won it, but we would have been in the playoffs last year had we scheduled a cup cake instead of Clemson for the season opener.  Regardless, congrats to the players and coaches for a great win over a tough team!!

Your last paragraph. It is tough but perception is everything. As long as we win the games we are suppose to win, we set ourselves up for some margin for error. We go in undefeated against Bama and UGA and win 1 out of 2, it would be hard to argue against us with a win against a (hopeful) strong UW team. Last year, losing to Clemson and UGA did not keep us out. Losing to an above average LSU team did causing us to have to be perfect down the stretch. 

6 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I like Chandler Cox but if we never hand  the ball off to him again (much less ask him to pass) I’ll be extremely happy.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Haha he did catch the ball really well though , but yeah , he is truly just a lot of mass and not going anywhere unfortunately. Not against quality competition at least. I still think people will have to realize we might have to pass to open up the run game. I don’t mind passing in the flats and the safety outlets in space to pick up a few yards.

Hopefully we at least gave future DCs something else to think about with Cox.

Just now, McLoofus said:

I think he blocked great and showed even better hands out the backfield. That could be a great safety valve.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not seeing the love for Whitlow.

8 for 28yds and 1 of those was his 10yd TD.  That leave 7 for 18yds. That's 2.5 ypc. I enjoyed the toughness he showed on his TD run, but the other 7 left me wanting substantially more.

I saw his immense potential, but I saw him miss the same holes everybody else did and run into the same wall in the middle everybody else did. Loved his pad level on his TD run, but definitely nothing to make me go “this guy..this is the man of the year.” In two years he will be something special

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not seeing the love for Whitlow.

8 for 28yds and 1 of those was his 10yd TD.  That leave 7 for 18yds. That's 2.5 ypc. I enjoyed the toughness he showed on his TD run, but the other 7 left me wanting substantially more.

I was wanting to see Asa Martin. Whitlow did fine and will be better with reps. He tried to dance around like he was in high school he’s got to get north/south. Shivers looks like he will be fun to watch.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I'll bet the whirly bird is causing every DC in the SECW to have nightmares.

1 hour ago, MylesJBryant said:

What a game. Looks like I was 100% accurate as usual.

Viper is that you???

4 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

I saw his immense potential, but I saw him miss the same holes everybody else did and run into the same wall in the middle everybody else did. Loved his pad level on his TD run, but definitely nothing to make me go “this guy..this is the man of the year.” In two years he will be something special

Exactly.  I just don't see the whole he  clearly needs to be RB1 comments

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

I was wanting to see Asa Martin. Whitlow did fine and will be better with reps. He tried to dance around like he was in high school he’s got to get north/south. Shivers looks like he will be fun to watch.

So happy for shivers . I was just really glad Gus trusted his freshman early on. I can see him slowly turning the corner.

2 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I don't think we'll see Asa for a while...

2 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Am I the only one that didn’t mind Gus going for two either time?

Well the 2nd time made sense strategically. 

The 1st time, was to catch them off guard. 

Set that aside, I think the problem lies in where we shouldn’t have had to attempt a late game 2pt conversion...for obvious reasons. 

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't think we'll see Asa for a while...

Why not? The coaches have raved about his pass blocking. patience and cut ability. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

So happy for shivers . I was just really glad Gus trusted his freshman early on. I can see him slowly turning the corner.

I don't think we'll see him doing anything slowly.;D

Archived