***FINAL: AU 21 UW 16 — Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

WIN....it was good to see the number of freshman playing on both sides and making major contributions....

I know this is 'old school'...but I'd like to see our OL use their shoulder pads and drive their man out instead of grabbing and pushing....

WDE

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Weagle98 said:

2 point conversion... what would you call?

An error by the QB. Easy conversion otherwise. 

D-Line played good most of the game.  Why Gus went for two on first TD still boggles my mind. O-line was pretty solid on pass blocking.  Run blocking needs work but backs also need to adjust on the run a few times I saw some holes but back ran right where play was designed to go. Kerryon was great at finding the seam. DB's were ok but not great the D-Line helped them a lot.  We got some legitimate Pass Interference Penalties but there was one on Dean that should have gone the other way even the announcers saw it. On the last drive the coaches changed the run a little bit instead of quick dives between guard and tackle we had 3 draw play one for Kam, one for Stidham, and one for Boobie where he scored the TD. We basically allowed the initial rush to dissipate ten moved them outside.

When ran slants to Craig Meyers and Seth Williams and every time we did we got at least 12 yards. The backs covering them were giving them inside position and we ran them deep enough that LB's couldn't help.

We won against a real good team and can build on this. Schedule over next few weeks should allow us to improve until we hit the real tough part of the schedule. The one early game left that I have some worry about is LSU as despite their coach they have some talent.

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Whitlow will be our guy eventually, and the Worm should have been used more. Siposs is our best punter.

Too many penalties, DBs got torched and looked lost at times, need an edge rusher, kickoff returners need to fair catch more.

High potential for huge season, lots of work to do, but talent is there. WDE!!!

Hard to disagree with any of that …..thanks... 

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is great to win the first one against a top 10 opponent. Lot of confidence will evolve from today. 

It is GREAT TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER...…….

plenty to work on but with Ark St coming to town we have some time before LSU

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I missed out jet sweeps this game. I think they would have worked because our blocking on the boundaries was pretty good. Let’s hone Schwartz can aid in that area. 

We never tried it which surprised me as they clogged the middle and I thought that would open it up a little.

18 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I thought a lot of out problems were on execution, mainly the OL, not coaching.

^^this^^. The play calls were balanced and dynamic.  

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Whitlow played good but Kam is a much more all around back if used right . Whitlow will get the props for scoring the go ahead TD but Kam played pretty good . Had a couple break outs and caught the ball really well out of the backfield.

He is much more dynamic than Boobie. Boobie a few times reverted back to his old dancing self.  

9 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Without their front 7 we probably rush for about 350

Easily. Their DT made it extremely tough to run inside. The OL needs to be able to move them out if there. I believe that will be fixed quickly.

5 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I agree with that. I just kind of feel like Whitlow will do better with the way the OLine is(n’t) blocking. I’m fine with either. They just need to get a rhythm going with one of them and the Oline next game. 

Boobie has the potential to be very good. He had some tough runs, but he had some bad misses too...both running and catching.

17 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

WDE. Got a long way to go, but we pulled it out. A lot of coach bashing for a first game on here. Im not sure what play calls we could suggest when the OL wasnt blocking for the run nor pass, but dangit the last part of the 4th quarter they stepped up and got it done. I thought a lot of out problems were on execution, mainly the OL, not coaching.

That's exactly right. They will get better each week. First game/big game jitters combined with inexperience is past them now. 

Just now, Weagle98 said:

Sorry, didn't realize cox was a qb.

He isn't. Wasn't on that play either.

Gus and chip did a lot right and some wrong. Offense can be a huge weapon this year if they get the kinks worked out. Hated the 2pt conversion plays, and some of the runs were head scratchers. Would like to see some quicker adjustments as well. Offense was pretty balanced and I loved that. Defense was impressive as hell. Scrap one drive, and the game looks a hell of a lot different. Clean up some penalties and we should be good to go. Special teams was nice! Marshall needs to step back and let the Aussie punt, and I only blame little Carleson for the short miss, the 54 yarder looked pretty good, just a little off

3 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I missed out jet sweeps this game. I think they would have worked because our blocking on the boundaries was pretty good. Let’s hone Schwartz can aid in that area. 

Absolutely. The D was stacked  and sucked into the middle on almost every play.

The large number of AU penalties and the pressure on Stidham after the first half had me very concerned we would continue the winless streak away from JHS. Someone had to have done some great play-calling that final TD drive.

1 minute ago, milehighfan said:

How was Auburn able to entertain recruits at this game?

They can come but the coaches can't interact with them

Next week should allow us to get more freshmen integrated and maybe get he Schwartz and Shivers packages installed. I’m mostly concerned about all the stupid penalties, not characteristic of a Gus team. I believe the o-line and running back situation will improve as the season progresses

The defense played very well. I was glad to see the DL make a couple stops when we NEEDED them. 

The offense needs some work. The first quarter looked amazing, then it just fell apart. 

The running game and the OL really need some work... 

But a win vs a top 10 team is always nice. And a win vs a legit top 10 defense is even better. 

WDE guys! This is just the beginning. 

Archived