Things to like about this team

AUpreacherman22

1.  36 pass attempts shows we are willing to utilize our strengths  

2.  When Stidham was in a rhythm early he looked fantastic!

3.  Seth Williams is gonna be a beast!

4. Boobie Whitlow had a great debut!

5.  Our front 7 on D is as good as advertised, and the expectations were very high!

6. Intermediate routes were great to see   

7.   I saw enough from the passing game to believe that once we get our running game figured out (and we will sooner or later) this offense can be very explosive!

8. Did I mention our front 7 yet?

9. Anders has more than enough leg to make all the kicks, not to mention booming all those kickoffs out of the back of the end zone!

10. Our boys can out with a lot of intensity and played hard all day long.  They deserve all the credit in the world for bringing it on every play the entire game!

11.  Sal Canella with a spectacular grab for 6!

12.  It may be February before anyone can wipe that grin off of Dontavius Russell’s face.  Dude had a lot of fun out there.  

O line is obviously going to take a while to come around but that was a very good D line Washington had.  Our front 7 is about as good as it gets.  Clemson may be better but it’s close.  

the OL is holding back the ceiling of this offense IMO. embarrassment of riches at receiver, Stidham also needs to learn to pull the trigger and trust his guys on the run. He just doesnt once he gets licked a couple times. After that first quarter, he didnt throw on the run again before that last TD drive I feel

I know our DBs are catching hell right now, but shout-out to Iggy for his two breakups on the fade route in the endzone. 

Some of my thoughts:

1) offense looked very good early and through the 1st half.  I think we tried to establish the run game more in the 3rd quarter, but it wasn't there.  Not sure if this is a weakness for us at OL or the WU front 7 being as good as advertised, but we'll find out. 

2) at the end of the 2nd quarter and beginning of the 3rd the WU receivers caught everything Browning threw. Some of the PI calls were BS and some were legit, but the players were in place.

3) the front 7 on D was nasty.  Good pressure most of the game, and with a few exceptions contained a good WU running back.

4) team kepth their composure, always a good thing. 

5) Not a knock on anyone, as I don't have a feel for the full fall camp, but it seemed to me that Whitlow should be the #1 RB, just based on today. 

46 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

the OL is holding back the ceiling of this offense IMO. embarrassment of riches at receiver, Stidham also needs to learn to pull the trigger and trust his guys on the run. He just doesnt once he gets licked a couple times. After that first quarter, he didnt throw on the run again before that last TD drive I feel

Either our receivers or our receivers' coach don't have a CLUE what to do when our QB starts to scramble or move around in the pocket.  Here's a clue...protection has broken down or you haven't separated and gotten open.  So, some receivers should be moving to the QB to separate, and some should be hitting the interstate and going for broke.  Ours stand around like there seeing a train accident for the first time.  We also have a big problem running a route deep enough and then coming back to the ball so the DB can't stand there and spike the incoming accurate pass like a volleyball.  All that said, Stidham still needs to figure out when to just throw the damn ball away.

Improved Special Teams....punts that flipped the field...a legit punt returner in Ryan Davis. This has been the first game since CGM has been at AU that I can remember that a dive or run up the gut wasn't 90% of the next play following a first down.

53 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Either our receivers or our receivers' coach don't have a CLUE what to do when our QB starts to scramble or move around in the pocket.  Here's a clue...protection has broken down or you haven't separated and gotten open.  So, some receivers should be moving to the QB to separate, and some should be hitting the interstate and going for broke.  Ours stand around like there seeing a train accident for the first time.  We also have a big problem running a route deep enough and then coming back to the ball so the DB can't stand there and spike the incoming accurate pass like a volleyball.  All that said, Stidham still needs to figure out when to just throw the damn ball away.

I saw a couple guys that sat in the zone and waited for him to throw it, namely Sal Canella and I believe NCM came back. But vs a 8 man defensive backfield, there really isnt anything you can do except sit underneath my guy. Stidham is NOT throwing it deep on the run lol

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

But vs a 8 man defensive backfield, there really isnt anything you can do except sit underneath my guy

Or maybe some type of power run?  Unless it's 3rd and forever, and if you gotten to that point you've made a bad call somewhere earlier.

I probably shouldn't be negative, because we beat the #6 team in the country.  But, I know if we don't get this crap fixed, it's going to cost us a game somewhere down the road.

Bottom line - we beat a top ten team tonight and dominated early, and came from behind against adversity at the end to clinch it.  Can't ask for much more than that.

Not at all upset with a hard fought "W" against a top 10 foe. 

I liked:

• Spreading the ball around through the air.
  • Utilizing the TE for the first time in a few years. He made the catch he had too.
  • Intermediate routes and quick hits. 
  • Defensive tenacity in 1st quarter and 4th quarter. 

Needs work:

• O-line
  • RB vision
  • Corners (I think this is our biggest weakness. I'm surprised that Peterson decided not to pick on them more late in the game. Coaching mistake on his part IMHO)

Was there and enjoyed it immensely. WDE!

Just like everyone on this board there were things I liked and things I didn't. The one thing I definitely liked was this team stared adversity in the face and didn't blink.

3 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Just like everyone on this board there were things I liked and things I didn't. The one thing I definitely liked was this team stared adversity in the face and didn't blink.

Well said!

I thought the offensive line played excellent in pass blocking. Run blocking will gel soon I hope. If anyone doesn't think the offensive line deserves kudos, please re-watch the opening game against Clemson and reassess. First game, new squad, they did well.

Disagree with 

Yard per carry average was poor and he looked very slow. One spectacular play doesn't erase that. That said Auburn always puts one of the best run offenses on the field. I'm sure this year won't be different.

On passing, we struggled when we had a design rollout.   Could not tell if receivers our Stidam but that needs work.  

Also, don’t remember us going deep any but they played 2 deep

1 hour ago, shabby said:

I thought the offensive line played excellent in pass blocking. Run blocking will gel soon I hope. If anyone doesn't think the offensive line deserves kudos, please re-watch the opening game against Clemson and reassess. First game, new squad, they did well.

Disagree with 

Yard per carry average was poor and he looked very slow. One spectacular play doesn't erase that. That said Auburn always puts one of the best run offenses on the field. I'm sure this year won't be different.

I agree with you regarding the numbers - it's hard to argue with stats.  But I feel he hit the holes harder and is able to run with more power than Kam. 

This is the first game I have seen where I fee Chip Lindsey has complete control of  Offense. Pass heavy, no wheel routes or reverses and we threw slants down the middle of the field. Prettt excited to see that

14 hours ago, AUDub said:

I know our DBs are catching hell right now, but shout-out to Iggy for his two breakups on the fade route in the endzone. 

Couldn't agree more on Iggy. Kid is a freshman and playing a converted position out on an island again an nfl prospect QB- think about that! 

Also don't like JS running so much. He doesent do a good job making himself small and avoiding the brunt of hits. Teams will try to cheap shot him like THUGA was in the sec champ game. But man, kid could sling it. 

35 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I agree with you regarding the numbers - it's hard to argue with stats.  But I feel he hit the holes harder and is able to run with more power than Kam. 

What’s the point of hitting the hole harder if you are running to a brick wall? Lol.

personally , I think he will be more of our prototype powerback , but I think Kam has much better vision than him. Kam knew when to take what the defense was giving him and when to bounce out. I will say there was one play where whitlow waited patiently and gained three yards out of nothing. It was a stretch play to the right side of the field . That impressed me more than his TD run

Chandler Cox has some hands and I think is going to be our secret weapon this year. Tied with Ryan Davis in receiving yardage at the moment and with a third of the receptions ?

Archived