Run Game Effectiveness Against Washington

KolchakAU85

I was in the dove field all day listening on the radio, but it sure seemed that our O-line and backs in the run game left a bit to be desired, compared to our usual norm.

Maybe I was expecting too much, especially in the first game, against a good defense, but I thought we would run the ball a bit better.

Got my limit of doves, and AU won.  A great day all the way around.  I'm frying doves and the wife is making gravy.  She got her limit of doves too today.  Sooner than I did.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Got my limit of doves, and AU won.  A great day all the way around.  I'm frying doves and the wife is making gravy.  She got her limit of doves too today.  Sooner than I did.

Heck yeah. Season opens here next weekend. Can't wait.

At the end of the day, we put up 150yds on one of the top defenses from last year, and the run game made two huge plays to end the game (draw play for TD and 3rd down conversion to ice the clock). We were using two new RBs and a rebuilt OL so it’s not that alarming. Cleaning up the run blocking and some more reps for our RBs, and we will be okay. We had worse performances against Mercer and UCF last year. 

My biggest complaint ironically was the lack of jet sweeps? I was shocked we didn’t use them more to stress their defense horizontally.

3 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

At the end of the day, we put up 150yds on one of the top defenses from last year, and the run game made two huge plays to end the game (draw play for TD and 3rd down conversion to ice the clock). We were using two new RBs and a rebuilt OL so it’s not that alarming. Cleaning up the run blocking and some more reps for our RBs, and we will be okay. We had worse performances against Mercer and UCF last year. 

My biggest complaint ironically was the lack of jet sweeps? I was shocked we didn’t use them more to stress their defense horizontally.

Yeah, jet sweeps were lacking.  Bramblet mentioned it a couple times on the radio.

I guess it's easy to expect a lot after the standard Kerryon set.  I was hoping to be dazzled by our run game today.  But like you said, Washington has a good defense.

Need to give some credit to the UW defense. They had 9 returning starters on a D which ranked 5th last year in ppg (16.2). They were tied for 3rd this year in total starters returning. 

35 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

it sure seemed that our O-line and backs in the run game left a bit to be desired

If we don't improve dramatically, it's going to be a long year. 

Some of both.  

We definitely have a lot of room for improvement!!   And UW is a very good defense.  We’ll see a lot of improvement in the next few weeks.  We were actually really close to huge gains a few times.  When we get a few little things cleaned up we’ll see a big difference.  

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I bet next week, asaginst AlSt, it will be about 80% run if not more.

Oh you know it! They will get all the reps they could want next week haha! I was actually impressed with their Pass Protection tonight. 

59 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Amen.

We averaged 218 ypg rushing last year. 150 is a lot less than that but in week 1 against a top 10 team with inexperience all over our offensive 2-deep? Um, yeah, I'll take it. 

Also, 150 is 34 more than the *total* yards our offense put up against Clemson last year. 

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Right there with you.  

I thought we missed a lot of opportunities by not running the jets.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Amen.

We averaged 218 ypg rushing last year. 150 is a lot less than that but in week 1 against a top 10 team with inexperience all over our offensive 2-deep? Um, yeah, I'll take it. 

Also, 150 is 34 more than the *total* yards our offense put up against Clemson last year. 

Yup. I thought there was a lot of good changes we saw in the first half today from last year. More intermediate routes and more attacking the middle of the field with slants. It did seem to disappear though. Stidham made some checks of his own without looking to the sideline which is good. More passing and less predictability. 

Our redzone woes will work themselves out as our run game and OL find themselves over the next few games. What I didn’t like though was that the slants disappeared in the second half. I’m curious if Washington was disguising some looks to force us out of our slants. Washington’s DC really dialed it up in the second half. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Right there with you.  

I thought we missed a lot of opportunities by not running the jets.

I liked Shivers getting a carry on a key down. Made a nice move and showed his ability to match physicality. It’ll be hilarious to see him and Willis finishing out Alabama State next week ?

11 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I was actually impressed with their Pass Protection tonight. 

I was actually surprised that Cox looked surprised when he got blown up a couple of times in pass protection.  Didn't cause a sack, but he wound up on his butt and looked like he was a blind man getting hit.

If we don't run for over 350 against Alabama State, we got problems.  And Willis, Shaun, and Asa should have a lot of those yards.

5 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Yup. I thought there was a lot of good changes we saw in the first half today from last year. More intermediate routes and more attacking the middle of the field with slants. It did seem to disappear though. Stidham made some checks of his own without looking to the sideline which is good. More passing and less predictability. 

Our redzone woes will work themselves out as our run game and OL find themselves over the next few games. What I didn’t like though was that the slants disappeared in the second half. I’m curious if Washington was disguising some looks to force us out of our slants. Washington’s DC really dialed it up in the second half. 

That's what I keep reminding myself. That might be the most talented, experienced and exotic secondary Stid sees until November. 

6 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I liked Shivers getting a carry on a key down. Made a nice move and showed his ability to match physicality. It’ll be hilarious to see him and Willis finishing out Alabama State next week ?

They will tear it up.  

I was hoping to see SS run it a few more today.

I feel like Auburn wants to be a pass first team with Stidham.  As much as I hate the predictable run up the middle on 1st down I hate even more the lack of run on first down.  Auburn had a lot of 2nd and 8s today that turned into 3rd and 8s.  If Auburn is going to be successful they need to gain good yards on 1st and 2nd down to setup short 3rd downs.  I’ll chalk this up to 1st game blah but gotta be able to run.

1 hour ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

Need to give some credit to the UW defense. They had 9 returning starters on a D which ranked 5th last year in ppg (16.2). They were tied for 3rd this year in total starters returning. 

They also allowed 10 passing touchdowns all of last season so really I can't blame us for struggling in the redzone even though we have had the problem in the past. Hopefully, in the coming games, we address the issue.

50 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I was actually surprised that Cox looked surprised when he got blown up a couple of times in pass protection.  Didn't cause a sack, but he wound up on his butt and looked like he was a blind man getting hit.

If we don't run for over 350 against Alabama State, we got problems.  And Willis, Shaun, and Asa should have a lot of those yards.

I hope we do beat a lesser team like we should and it not end up like Mercer. This next game the o-line should be dominating.

Both teams had "red zone" problems....give credit to a couple of very stout defenses....especially when the area to defend is reduced.

10 hours ago, corchjay said:

Willis will probably get 30 carries himself...  

Yep, it will probably be another wasted opportunity to give live passing reps to the backup 

12 hours ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

And #1 rushing defense in 2017. (Alabama a close second).

2 hours ago, doug3020 said:

Malzahn is quoted saying UW was dropping 8 into the box so there weren’t any seams to run. 

Seems pretty obvious to me Stidham isn’t being given much flexibility to check out of calls at the line. Otherwise, why would you just run straight into a loaded box? A lot of our 2nd & 8’s we’re due to this. 

Iono about that . Seems to me there were a handful of times Stidham made a check which directly lead to this. He also missed a clear chance to check out of a play, where a secondary blitz was clear as day. Learning woes early on.

Archived