Run Game Effectiveness Against Washington

KolchakAU85

13 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I was in the dove field all day listening on the radio, but it sure seemed that our O-line and backs in the run game left a bit to be desired, compared to our usual norm.

Maybe I was expecting too much, especially in the first game, against a good defense, but I thought we would run the ball a bit better.

Got my limit of doves, and AU won.  A great day all the way around.  I'm frying doves and the wife is making gravy.  She got her limit of doves too today.  Sooner than I did.

I hunted.   it was a good day.    I turned off phone and all social media until after I got home and watched the game

so I didn't know who won till about 9 last nite.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Iono about that . Seems to me there were a handful of times Stidham made a check which directly lead to this. He also missed a clear chance to check out of a play, where a secondary blitz was clear as day. Learning woes early on.

Yup, and I imagine that Washington was showing looks which Stidham thought was favorable that we couldn’t get out of. One I can name off the top of my head was a third and medium. Washington was showing double A gap blitz. NCM makes a hand motion to Stidham. Stidham glances over then looked towards the A Gap showing. At the snap, Stidham looks for the slant to ncm, but Washington dropped both LBs back in coverage. Stidham bailed on the pocket and rolled left before being tackled short of the line to gain. They did it a lot in the second half which caused us to stumble a bit.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Iono about that . Seems to me there were a handful of times Stidham made a check which directly lead to this. He also missed a clear chance to check out of a play, where a secondary blitz was clear as day. Learning woes early on.

So you’re saying he (Stidham) checked into the wrong play on multiple occasions  and then failed to check out of a play when a blitz was coming?

Guess I missed that. I heard the commentators say he should’ve checked out of a blitz but didn’t. Game wise I saw him and every other player on our team stare at the sidelines presnap just like every other year of recent past. 

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

So you’re saying he (Stidham) checked into the wrong play on multiple occasions  and then failed to check out of a play when a blitz was coming?

Guess I missed that. I heard the commentators say he should’ve checked out of a blitz but didn’t. Game wise I saw him and every other player on our team stare at the sidelines presnap just like every other year of recent past. 

I am saying every time he checked at the line it was a run play and it normally got stuffed. So yes, you did miss that. The coaches have given him a lot more autonomy, it’s up to him to figure out what to do with it.

The run game missed Stove and the jet sweep a lot last night. More than I thought we would. It tends to open up between the tackle runs. UW didn’t have to defend it last night. I hope we unleash Barrett or Shivers on it in the next couple of weeks. 

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

The run game missed Stove and the jet sweep a lot last night. More than I thought we would. It tends to open up between the tackle runs. UW didn’t have to defend it last night. I hope we unleash Barrett or Shivers on it in the next couple of weeks. 

Yep, aside from UW having strong interior defenders, this was the biggest reason for our running backs getting stuffed in the back field. We never even tested the perimeter. I think this will change though going forward

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am saying every time he checked at the line it was a run play and it normally got stuffed. So yes, you did miss that. The coaches have given him a lot more autonomy, it’s up to him to figure out what to do with it.

I’ll rewatch the game....

Why would anyone check into a run play with an 8 man box. That’s asinine and doesn’t make a lot of sense. 

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

They will tear it up.  

I was hoping to see SS run it a few more today.

Suspect that in a close big game Gus didn’t want to chance fumbles by anyone. The lack of sweeps may have been to what the defense was showing, also Gus was very vocal on wanting to reduce negative plays. While sweeps are exciting when they are sucessful they are probably a higher percentage of negative plays than the straight off tackle runs. 

Just now, doug3020 said:

I’ll rewatch the game....

Why would anyone check into a run play with an 8 man box. That’s asinine and doesn’t make a lot of sense. 

Do you really think they ran 8 man in the box the whole game or second half? UW changed up and did a lot of disguising after the 1st quarter which tripped up Stidham. It not nearly as obvious as it may seem.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do you really think they ran 8 man in the box the whole game or second half? UW changed up and did a lot of disguising after the 1st quarter which tripped up Stidham. It not nearly as obvious as it may seem.

I was quoting Gus. I didn’t make this up. I’ve seen us run straight into an 8 man bad plenty of times the past few years. Excuse me if I’m slightly skeptical. 

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

I was quoting Gus. I didn’t make this up. 

Gus said they ran 8 man in the box the whole game? Because that is a blatantly lie if so as it was obvious on some plays they legitimately had 3 down lineman and the other 8 dropped back in a zone. That happened quite a bit in the second half actually.

Just now, DAG said:

Gus said they ran 8 man in the box the whole game? Because that is a blatantly lie if so as it was obvious on some plays they legitimately had 3 down lineman and the other 8 dropped back in a zone. That happened quite a bit in the second half actually.

Geez dude. Read the postgame comments. I’d link them for you., but I’m currently in my car (not driving). Again, I’ve seen us run directly into an 8 man box numerous times the past four years. 

Just now, doug3020 said:

Geez dude. Read the postgame comments. I’d link them for you., but I’m currently in my car (not driving). Again, I’ve seen us run directly into an 8 man box numerous times the past four years. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/09/what_gus_malzahn_jarrett_stidh_1.html

here is a link right here and he says nothing of sort. However, he does mention them dropping 8 back in a zone which caused some red zone woes. Not hard to drop a link using technology including a phone. Geez guy!

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/09/what_gus_malzahn_jarrett_stidh_1.html

here is a link right here and he says nothing of sort. However, he does mention them dropping 8 back in a zone which caused some red zone woes. Not hard to drop a link using technology including a phone. Geez guy!

I’ll find it and post it. No need to be a complete turd bc I question a comment. What do you do for a living?

3 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

I’ll find it and post it. No need to be a complete turd bc I question a comment. What do you do for a living?

Yes find it and get back to me 

It looked like washington made some adjustments at the half and we just plowed a head with few changes. All in all it was a good win, but it sure did not feel like good one

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes find it and get back to me 

You were right. I misread the quote. I have no issues saying I was wrong. They were dropping 8 and no seams to throw. Again, I misread. Actually glad I did, because I was wondering who in the world would run into an 8 man box. Thanks for the correction.

3 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

You were right. I misread the quote. I have no issues saying I was wrong. They were dropping 8 and no seams to throw. Again, I misread. Actually glad I did, because I was wondering who in the world would run into an 8 man box. Thanks for the correction.

No problem brother. WDE

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The opportunity for a young QB to check out of a called play does not always mean he will get it right.

Last night and in the future JS will be facing some very good defensive coaches who know how to deal with guys like him who think they understand what a D is planning.  Otherwise he still needs a better clock...keeping the ball too long.

4 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

And #1 rushing defense in 2017. (Alabama a close second).

We are going to look back on this game later in the season and appreciate Washington even more. Don't be surprised if they run the table rest of the way. Yes our O Line needs work but that was a really good team we beat yesterday.  

1 hour ago, doug3020 said:

I was wondering who in the world would run into an 8 man box.

giphy.gif

Oh, I know! I know!  Pick me!

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

I bet next week, asaginst AlSt, it will be about 80% run if not more.

I pray we let M Willis throw it a bunch!   he needs to develop for crying out loud

Archived