Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Washington

JMR

29 minutes ago, C'viewTiger said:

Most of the good DBs read the receivers eyes. When the receiver sees the ball coming he's focusing and you can read his eyes. At that point, a DB should be turning his head.

Most of the good receivers will try and trick the DBs to turn and look by either widening their eyes, starting to slow down, or even start to reach or lift their hands. Any way they do it, the objective is to get the DB to turn and look so they can then take off on them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Most of the good receivers will try and trick the DBs to turn and look by either widening their eyes, starting to slow down, or even start to reach or lift their hands. Any way they do it, the objective is to get the DB to turn and look so they can then take off on them.

It also depends on how much vision they have when running full speed. Some ppl have trouble not focusing when or if their head is bouncing. Some people can see fine or just run smoothly. I couldn’t. I didn’t defend many passes but the few times I played outfield ( normally a middle infielder) I could see the ball and track it running wide open but if I didn’t slow down the last few steps I was subject to miss by a few inches or have it graze the edge of my glove. Trying to focus on something like someone’s eyeballs when running full out would be challenging. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

This^^^^^

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JMR said:

Hey, B! How are ya? 

Great. I've been crazy busy this summer. We moved -- again -- two miles, because the condo experiment was a bad failure. We got the keys to the new place on the day we were to return to school.

I'm teaching in a Catholic school now. I retired from the Cleveland schools three years ago. They changed the retirement, and I'd have to teach another five years in order to get the retirement I got at that time. Plus, this allows me to build up my social security.

How have you been? Are you still in the Land o' Lakes area?

It still amazes me that we still try the "hurry up hand-off up the middle" after a first down like 75% of the time. It seems these days it's a completely wasted play as it's been scouted to death. At least try a play action if it looks like the LBs are creeping up to snuff it out. With Stidham able to call plays, he should be able to take advantage of it..

Did we ever pull a guard and run off tackle? Is their defense just that good on the outside to do it? Seems like every time we ran it was up the middle into a mass of people.

I was really disappointed in the TD we gave up before the half. Our entire team seemed to hear "prevent defense" and we went into a "ehh, we're done for the half" mode. Their lack of effort dropped of the face of the earth that series, and it gave Washington momentum going into the 2nd half. I'm glad Steele adjusted at the end of the game and decided to man up and take it to them instead of trying that "bend but don't break" nonsense.

Edited by AUTigerTime
  • Like 2

Coach most people don't know the work needed in film study. Thanks for making that point. But...what I really like is your many assessments that hit the nail on the head. I do think the return of Brahms will factor in for the OL.

Thanks to you coaches for your analysis.  It really helps the rest of us in understanding of the game.  I do have one question.  Has it been declared legal to hold #5?  I even saw some plays where he was being double teamed and both of them were holding but I don’t remember it ever being called.  

On 9/3/2018 at 4:35 PM, bigbird said:

People should realize corner is one of the hardest spots to play in the game of football. You're usually shorter than the man you're covering and your reaction time is so small; hence why instincts are talked about often with this position. My high school team was trash so they had me play a little bit of everything (DE, MLB, OLB, CB, S on the defensive side of the ball RB and C on offense) and I can tell you I've never been more mentally locked in than when I played corner; luckily most of the QBs in our area have wet noodle arms and stare down the receiver they'll be going to so it was as simple as back-peddle and break on the ball.

Anyways, it's a lot easier to be the receiver knowing your predestined route than to be the man guessing constantly. It's like rock-paper-scissors while running almost 20 mph. Meanwhile most of us stumble if our dog/cat moves in front of us too quickly. It's astonishing we don't see more corners get burned.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2018 at 3:43 PM, toddc said:

They played their defensive ends out wide and it’s hard to get around them on speed sweeps! I think ccl even said as much in his presser.

So, I'm assuming other teams will do the same. 

9 minutes ago, ALTiger said:

So, I'm assuming other teams will do the same. 

I think there's still a lot of talent and good coaching that makes that possible. And we still moved the ball on them to the tune of 420 yards despite a lot of penalties and other forms of poor execution. A top 10 team had all summer to get ready for us. We play those guys in week 3 or 4 and we're almost certainly north of 450 yards and 30 points.  

Spread those DEs wide, defenses! Hopefully that would keep a little pressure off Stid, too. Which is why I don't think they'll do it.

• Like 4

The O-line opportunities have been well documented.  Haven't heard a lot of commentary on no runs outside; well, the A gap...also, it seems all the ball carriers run straight up.  If you look back at Mason, Barber and Kerryon, they were very good and getting low and finding the 2-3 when there was nothing.  It seemed like no matter what; our guys would run into the wall straightup.  Could be selective memory; just don't remember seeing very much of seeing what's there (or not there) and of getting low and pushing into whatever gap might be there.

Edited by japantiger

It's been years since I visited this site. I dropped out of the interweb sports conversations years ago. The comments in this football forum are excellent, detailed, level- headed analysis that respects the team and coaches. Refreshing. Also didn't see much of the emotional, cliched comments that are typical of fans that can only naysay.

Thanks. I'll try to join in and contribute again soon. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hoopie said:

It's been years since I visited this site. I dropped out of the interweb sports conversations years ago. The comments in this football forum are excellent, detailed, level- headed analysis that respects the team and coaches. Refreshing. Also didn't see much of the emotional, cliched comments that are typical of fans that can only naysay.

Thanks. I'll try to join in and contribute again soon. 

I think we're OK for the most part.

....just stay out of the game day thread....

War Eagle!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I'm sure that one could read the game day thread ( I won't read it) and conclude that Gus should be fired.

But then I see that  ... Gus was named coach of the week ...Oops!   Our friends/family are careful to only keep level-headed football fans around our watching events.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoopie said:

I'm sure that one could read the game day thread ( I won't read it) and conclude that Gus should be fired.

But then I see that  ... Gus was named coach of the week ...Oops!   Our friends/family are careful to only keep level-headed football fans around our watching events.

It's certainly a stretch to call a few of us "level headed" ? but I think most agree Gus does a LOT of really good things and with a few adjustments he can certainly be a great coach for all of us AU folks to be proud of.

Game 1 showed some really good signs of growth and improvement, especially in going against some of the negative tendencies, so I'm stoked for the coming games!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

It's certainly a stretch to call a few of us "level headed" ? but I think most agree Gus does a LOT of really good things and with a few adjustments he can certainly be a great coach for all of us AU folks to be proud of.

Game 1 showed some really good signs of growth and improvement, especially in going against some of the negative tendencies, so I'm stoked for the coming games!

I agree and at the risk of repeating myself Gus has had  no where near the head coaching  experience that lil nicky has nor has had his "assets"  available to him and has  a lot more to show for his short career as a head coach. than saban does.. Gus is still learning how to be a head coach. Yes, he has his flaws but experience is the best teacher. Kirby Smart is the exception but I am sure he " learned" a lot from his former boss on how to make things go his way. Everyone here knows  what I am talking about. 

WDE!!

Edited by Slammer1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

I agree and at the risk of repeating myself Gus has had  no where near the head coaching  experience that lil nicky has nor has had his "assets"  available to him and has  a lot more to show for his short career as a head coach. than saban does.. Gus is still learning how to be a head coach. Yes, he has his flaws but experience is the best teacher. Kirby Smart is the exception but I am sure he " learned" a lot from his former boss on how to make things go his way. Everyone here knows here what I am talking about. 

WDE!!

sting.gif

Thanks Coach, you make things come together very well for novice arm-chair punters like the Doc. I hope in 2 weeks you will be saying how well we did in a big win over LSU.  I think the level of competition that we played and LSU did is night and day. I see Miami going 7-5 at best. UW would likely easily take down Miami and LSU as far as that goes.

I am not that big on LSU and think we will expose them pretty good in 2 weeks. Folks seem to forget that Miami won the 2nd half 14-6 for what it is worth or not. We have to take it 1 game at a time and be ready for each opponent with our A game. I am curious to see if we will beat down teams this year like we did last season. My gut feeling is that we will have some beat downs this year as well. We need to beat down the Mississippi teams in a big way this year. It definitely will not hurt with recruiting being that we are going into Mississippi for some great recruits and need to keep them in our camp! Winning breeds winning 110% of the time!

I think the LSU Offense is more of the same.  I’m not impressed at all.  Our D should have fun with them.  

Their D is legit though.  They have a lot of talent and Aranda is one of the best.  They are very aggressive, which is the type of D that could rattle JS.   

At the end of the day, as we showed against UW, I think we make the plays we need to make to win the game.  

On 9/3/2018 at 4:19 AM, AUsince72 said:

I basically agree with you on halftime.

My perception is that Steele may or may not adjust well coming out of the half BUT the D usually seems to adjust well on the fly and as the game goes you see marked improvement (as long as the AU O doesn't keep hanging them out there).

However, it seems like the O pretty much looks the same as they did the first half and it's just a matter of how well the opposing D adjusts or doesn't adjust.  Matter of fact, as been pointed out numerous times post game, it seems that things that work earlier in the game often disappear.

Fortunately, the O found some intestinal fortitude when it counted the other day.  Gives us hope!

@JMRThank you for your time to put this together. +1 agree. NOT complaining just wondering why. It’s the same with playmakers. Don’t know if I’m missing something. 

Edited by WDE427