Media crickets

Zeek

Alright, so being a good number of hours removed from the game I decided to do some reading.

Scrolling through the ESPN app I was a little shocked, not really, that there are almost no articles about Auburn. Instead on their front page is a celebratory looking picture of a Washington and an article about how awesome they were for coming so close in a crowd biased against them.

Literally almost no coverage about us, much less complimentary coverage. The ONLY game of real relevance yesterday other than maybe Michigan v Notre Dame.

Nothing new but it is always a little frustrating. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Alright, so being a good number of hours removed from the game I decided to do some reading.

Scrolling through the ESPN app I was a little shocked, not really, that there are almost no articles about Auburn. Instead on their front page is a celebratory looking picture of a Washington and an article about how awesome they were for coming so close in a crowd biased against them.

Literally almost no coverage about us, much less complimentary coverage. The ONLY game of real relevance yesterday other than maybe Michigan v Notre Dame.

Nothing new but it is always a little frustrating. 

Well when they hype us our fans say they would rather be the under dog soo...lol

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well when they hype us our fans say they would rather be the under dog soo...lol

Not wrong lol. But I can’t even find an analysis by BSPN.

Oh well, let’s keep below the radar and have a big win next week.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Y'all some sensitive folks.  But if you needed it, here is a column about the game focusing on AU.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24550755/auburn-tigers-atlanta-redemption-washington-huskies

Maybe sensitive....but the team busted their butts to beat a higher ranked team and they deserve some recognition whereas we are mostly subjected to commentary about bama and their QB who beat a team they were favored over by about 4 TDs....   I called up al.com this morning to see what they had to say about the AU game...and found virtually ....NOTHING.....where the big story seemed to be the run-in Saban had with a media person over her question about his QB issues.

JMO ...this isn't about being an underdog....or even being sensitive.....just a reflection of life in the state of Alabama where if it ain't about the tawd, it's not worth reporting and the reality of living in the shadow of them.  Should be some motivation for the players and coaches. 

The beauty of it now is it doesn't matter what these media slugs have to say. If you are an SEC Championship team or a 1 loss non title SEC team you will have a 98% chance of being in the playoffs. You don't do that you won't be in, pretty simple really. Having said that yes, ESPN sucks. HAHA 

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe sensitive....but the team busted their butts to beat a higher ranked team and they deserve some recognition whereas we are mostly subjected to commentary about bama and their QB who beat a team they were favored over by about 4 TDs....   I called up al.com this morning to see what they had to say about the AU game...and found virtually ....NOTHING.....where the big story seemed to be the run-in Saban had with a media person over her question about his QB issues.

JMO ...this isn't about being an underdog....or even being sensitive.....just a reflection of life in the state of Alabama where if it ain't about the tawd, it's not worth reporting and the reality of living in the shadow of them.  Should be some motivation for the players and coaches. 

So maybe get out of the state once in a while.  Listen and read different things.  I turned on ESPNU radio today on the way home from the airport.  First thing I hear is an in-depth interview with Jason Caldwell from ITAT going over the game and ESPN singing our praises.  A few other national outlets are doing the same.  Again, y'all some sensitive folks.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-2018-Week-1-stats-scores-analysis-121307312/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/auburn-vs-washington-score-no-9-tigers-make-statement-with-win-over-no-6-huskies/

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/09/sec-daily-five-week-1-what-happened-what-mattered/2

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Y'all some sensitive folks.  But if you needed it, here is a column about the game focusing on AU.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24550755/auburn-tigers-atlanta-redemption-washington-huskies

See that’s an awesome read and what ESPN needs more of. Thanks for sharing.F3E3298B-2458-4A1D-8B36-B455BE27BB41.png361C0C99-3C69-4B65-8244-B0C5D9D67DCE.pngC392078E-0549-4784-AE0B-B9FC1AA9DEB9.png

Those are the articles they should have linked on the front page. Meanwhile you have a story by Akron, a story about FAU, a picture of Washington celebrating and an article about how they’re still in it, and when you finally see a story about us it’s a quick video and not an article.

I’m honestly not upset or sensitive about it but it’s just foolish on their part.

59 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

The beauty of it now is it doesn't matter what these media slugs have to say. If you are an SEC Championship team or a 1 loss non title SEC team (named Bama) you will have a 98% chance of being in the playoffs. You don't do that you won't be in, pretty simple really. Having said that yes, ESPN sucks. HAHA 

There, fixed it for you.  To their credit (or to the love of the media), they were the #1 team all season long when they made it in as the  1-loss non-title team,  not sure AU would get the same love.  However, if we have only one loss, and it is to Bama who is the #1 team at the time, we stand getting in as a 1-loss non title SEC team.

20 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

However, if we have only one loss, and it is to Bama who is the #1 team at the time, we stand getting in as a 1-loss non title SEC team.

That is the best strategy, same as Bammer last year.  We finish 11-1 and lose only to Bama.  Take a week off to heal up and prepare and watch Bama and Georgia beat each other up in the SEC champ game.  Then we cruise in the playoffs.

Curious question.  If we beat Georgia and lose to Bammer and finish 11-1, and undefeated Bammer plays 11-1 Georgia in SEC title and Georgia wins leaving Bammer 12-1, Georgia 12-1 and us 11-1, do we get 3 SEC teams in the playoffs?:jump:

AU beat the number 6 team . It doesn’t matter who says what . I can honestly say I don’t give a crap about any analysis from bspn. Bspn has more interest in politics and social justice bs .

To be fair, it was a close game that could have easily gone the other way.  Both teams had issues.  If we had beaten them solidly or annihilate them the way Ole Miss and LSU are scorching their opponents, it would have made a statement.  Let's just be happy with the win.  I hope we get our Oline and RB issue corrected before LSU.

11 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

AU beat the number 6 team . It doesn’t matter who says what . I can honestly say I don’t give a crap about any analysis from bspn. Bspn has more interest in politics and social justice bs .

Maybe I don't pay attention enough (this year's basketball season and maybe 2010's baseball season have been the ONLY times I've watched sports outside of football), but I don't really notice that. I'm mainly sick of people on both sides crying about tiny little things in movies, etc.

EDIT: They are talking about us now on SC. So that's nice.

The New York Times had a very complimentary article on our tigers today. It was on the home page of the website when I saw it. We're coming up...

1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

There, fixed it for you.  To their credit (or to the love of the media), they were the #1 team all season long when they made it in as the  1-loss non-title team,  not sure AU would get the same love.  However, if we have only one loss, and it is to Bama who is the #1 team at the time, we stand getting in as a 1-loss non title SEC team.

It's not like everyone was against us last year.  We were one quarter away from being the #2 seed in the playoffs with two losses on our record.  But you're right, if we're 11-1 with a loss at Bama, we're in unless the SEC, ACC, Big 10, and Big 12 champs all go unbeaten.

1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

However, if we have only one loss, and it is to Bama who is the #1 team at the time, we stand getting in as a 1-loss non title SEC team.

I was told from all the bellyaching about Bama last year that Auburn fans wanted nothing to do with the playoffs if they couldn’t win their division. 

1 hour ago, mom2kid said:

To be fair, it was a close game that could have easily gone the other way.  Both teams had issues.  If we had beaten them solidly or annihilate them the way Ole Miss and LSU are scorching their opponents, it would have made a statement.  Let's just be happy with the win.  I hope we get our Oline and RB issue corrected before LSU.

Note Wash.was ranked higher than AU ..and were not some unranked middle of the road team.  You don't really think OM or LSU would have scorched Wash do you?

Bama produces "journalists" that are employed in a nepotistic ESPN, do you really expect anything other than the treatment we get?  

20-25 yrs ago it was much more even or fair coverage, but times have changed.   Don't believe me, look at one of the most powerful faces of of ESPN (Rece Davis).   Ya think he doesn't have pull?  

Our only shot is to win on the field, all the time: 

We've got to grab'm by the nose and kick them in a##. We will advance to the goal line on every drive,  and run through them like crap through a goose!     (That's for you older fellas)

Here's a pretty good article from a Pacific NW paper re the game:  Link

This is from the Tacoma News-Tribune which has a better sports section than the Seattle Times, imho. 

... Who had the prettiest quarterback at the dance?

The matchup between Stidham and Browning was marquee. Stidham finished 26-for-36 passing for 273 yards, a touchdown and no interceptions. For Browning: 18-for-32, 296 yards, a couple tough turnovers. Advantage Stidham.

Is the Tigers' defensive front as good as it thinks it is?

Auburn linebacker Deshaun Davis made a notable preseason declaration: "I do think we have the best defensive line in the country," which would seem to suggest he doesn't get a chance to watch many Clemson games. They didn't exactly stonewall Washington, but certainly arose when it mattered. This is a discussion for another day.

Does Auburn have a running game?

It had no 100-yard rusher Saturday, but Kam Martin did get 80, and Whitlow had the toughest run of the day. There remains work to do in the backfield.

And finally, who would suffer the indignity of wearing the old leather helmet – a trophy, an anachronism and an awkward fashion statement all in one since 2008?

Every winning coach of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff game – save one – has tried it on and all have managed to look like an extra in the 1934 Three Stooges football movie, "Three Little Pigskins." It should surprise no one that Nick Saban declined. When they start awarding a miter to the winner of this game, maybe then he'll consider wearing it.

Auburn's Gus Malzahn happily modeled the leather helmet Saturday evening because why not enjoy every aspect of a win like this?

It’s gonna be all LSU and Tua till next week when it’ll be all Jimbo/Dabo and Muschamp/Smart as it should be.  Auburn won a game against a top 10 opponent but other than Sal’s great TD catch and the play of the defense there really wasn’t a lot of wow moments that sports media can rave about.  Auburn won in an ugly fashion and that’s hard to get excited about.  Auburn will get there chance against LSU in 2 weeks.  If Auburn wins that game the way it played in the 1st half last year you’ll have Auburn fatigue by week 4.

Archived