Media crickets

Zeek

Very frustrating indeed. I make it a point to click on BSPN for the kick off and turn the channel after the Gus postgame interview. For whatever reason, since it was a matchup of two top 10 teams, I decided to watch the “BSPN after show” on all the week one games. Even though it was the only match up with two top 10 teams, Auburn VS Washington State, was actually the fourth game they showed on the highlights. Yes, the fourth game after all of the Little Ten and Notre Dame highlights.

The broadcasters/Narrators of the show actually said If Washington State wasn’t called for the pic play, when they  legitimately scored what would’ve been a TD, they would’ve/should’ve won the ballgame.

They also continually pointed out that it was basically a home game for Auburn and a road game for poor Washington State that had to travel across the country, to play in enemy territory. I’m thinking to myself we are ranked number nine, they are ranked number five or six and we upset them! BSPN had very little good to say about our victory, and it was very disappointing!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

It’s gonna be all LSU and Tua till next week when it’ll be all Jimbo/Dabo and Muschamp/Smart as it should be.  Auburn won a game against a top 10 opponent but other than Sal’s great TD catch and the play of the defense there really wasn’t a lot of wow moments that sports media can rave about.  Auburn won in an ugly fashion and that’s hard to get excited about.  Auburn will get there chance against LSU in 2 weeks.  If Auburn wins that game the way it played in the 1st half last year you’ll have Auburn fatigue by week 4.

Oh man, sorry you missed so much of the game. I guess you missed the sack and fumble forced on Washington State’s quarterback.  I guess you missed our interception against one of the best quarterbacks in the country.  I guess you missed our freshman kicker pounding a 53 yard field goal. I guess you missed Jarrett put up some of the best QB numbers of any quarterback against a top 10 team, here in week one. Maybe you didn’t realize that Jarrett did not throw one interception or fumble against one of the top defensive teams in the country, while throwing for almost 300 yards.

I guess you missed our freshman RB pound his way into the end zone on a 10 yard, third down, TD run.  Possibly you missed a couple of awesome punt returns? Those were some Spectacular Plays against the #6 team in the country, sorry you missed them!

War Eagle!

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Maybe sensitive....but the team busted their butts to beat a higher ranked team and they deserve some recognition whereas we are mostly subjected to commentary about bama and their QB who beat a team they were favored over by about 4 TDs....   I called up al.com this morning to see what they had to say about the AU game...and found virtually ....NOTHING.....where the big story seemed to be the run-in Saban had with a media person over her question about his QB issues.

JMO ...this isn't about being an underdog....or even being sensitive.....just a reflection of life in the state of Alabama where if it ain't about the tawd, it's not worth reporting and the reality of living in the shadow of them.  Should be some motivation for the players and coaches. 

Try using google. It will save you a lot of pain and suffering. You shouldn't need ESPN's approval to validate a big win for Auburn. I'm sure if Auburn wins 5 out of the next 9 ncaaf championships, they'll talk about Gus and Auburn as much as they're talking about Nick and Alabama. Not that preseason rankings mean much, but there isn't a ton of separation between a 6th ranked team and a 9th ranked team in what was virtually a home game for the higher seed. Auburn was even favored. The motivation is more fan related than player or coaches related. Knowing Gus, he likes being the underdog who doesn't get talked about because once he gets hit with notoriety and expectations, things tend to fall apart fast.

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I won't be that guy that says its inherently biased but Ive seen as much about this man Tua as Ive seen about the only actually good game out of anyone in the top 25. Auburn MUST stop this guy, if we don't who will?

They are honestly acting like it's the second coming of Jesus I'm done with it.

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

They are honestly acting like it's the second coming of Jesus I'm done with it.

I’m with you.  Wake me up when he twirlybirds around an heaves up a pass against a D that actually tries to stop the other team instead of a stop gap until Petrino gets to play with his toys on offense.  

With all that said I expect us to be 6 in the coaches poll and 7 in the media poll.  Just win baby.  We are probably rated a little high in my opinion but it is what it is.  Our schedule is brutal!!!

22 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

But they do that with every bammer QB. 

Oh no not like this...Not the media. Nowhere near did guys like Blake Sims and Coker get this. I know I'm missing someone else..Talking about under Saban.

9 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Oh no not like this...Not the media. Nowhere near did guys like Blake Sims and Coker get this. I know I'm missing someone else..Talking about under Saban.

We just don’t get to hear Herbstreit much.  He’s about as much a bammer homer as he is OSU.  He thinks the old guard are the only important teams... Bammer, OSU, Michigan, Texas, Okie, and USC.  He’ll pick 1 darling out of the rest of teams each season as well and ride their jock until until they fall off.  It’s Clemson this year.

Herbstreit is very knowledgeable but his bias is absurd.  

As I’ve been saying many years we have to go to 4 super conferences.  Each with 20 teams.  2 divisions in each conference.  9 game conference schedule against your division opponents.  Winner of each division goes into the playoff.  That would be 8 teams.  First round would be conference championship games.  That takes you to 4 teams.  Normal bowl matchup playoff in the current format but rotate who plays opposite conferences.  3 non conference games you can play anyone you want to schedule which all will schedule lower teams out of the the super conferences but allow for developing players and rest for the grind.  

Sorry Vandy, Kentucky, Kansas, wake forest, Duke and such... there’s no place for you in big time football same goes for the service academies.  

That takes the eye test, humans bias out of the equation totally and who’s name is on the helmet or front of the jersey.  The championship is actually won on the field by a set standard of rules.  It essentially knocks the printers out.... Troy UAB but they can play for their own FBS G4 (4 super conferences) championship as well.  

35 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I was more referring to the fans than the national media. I’ve kind of ignored most of it since 2010, for obvious reasons. 

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

So maybe get out of the state once in a while.  Listen and read different things.  I turned on ESPNU radio today on the way home from the airport.  First thing I hear is an in-depth interview with Jason Caldwell from ITAT going over the game and ESPN singing our praises.  A few other national outlets are doing the same.  Again, y'all some sensitive folks.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-2018-Week-1-stats-scores-analysis-121307312/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/auburn-vs-washington-score-no-9-tigers-make-statement-with-win-over-no-6-huskies/

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/09/sec-daily-five-week-1-what-happened-what-mattered/2

I'm not sure you get the point and looks like you just want to argue.

I live out of state and get news from other sites....but HS prospects and state residents are immersed in "bama, bama, bama"....and it would nice if there were some balance in the coverage.   It should not be necessary to "shop around" for adequate coverage of AU sports. 

Just heard Herbie say on TV that Tua will be the face of college football this year...figures...he also said that Tua was like playing with a player on Madden...Sheesh...complete Tua taint nuzzling by espn...

9 hours ago, Beaker said:

Bama produces "journalists" that are employed in a nepotistic ESPN, do you really expect anything other than the treatment we get?  

20-25 yrs ago it was much more even or fair coverage, but times have changed.   Don't believe me, look at one of the most powerful faces of of ESPN (Rece Davis).   Ya think he doesn't have pull?  

Our only shot is to win on the field, all the time: 

We've got to grab'm by the nose and kick them in a##. We will advance to the goal line on every drive,  and run through them like crap through a goose!     (That's for you older fellas)

One of my three favorite movies of all time!

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I live out of state and get news from other sites....but HS prospects and state residents are immersed in "bama, bama, bama"....and it would nice if there were some balance in the coverage.   It should not be necessary to "shop around" for adequate coverage of AU sports. 

I couldn’t agree more! Of course every recruit in the country watches these games, and the highlight shows and the coverage is very biased.

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

We just don’t get to hear Herbstreit much.  He’s about as much a bammer homer as he is OSU.  He thinks the old guard are the only important teams... Bammer, OSU, Michigan, Texas, Okie, and USC.  He’ll pick 1 darling out of the rest of teams each season as well and ride their jock until until they fall off.  It’s Clemson this year.

Herbstreit is very knowledgeable but his bias is absurd.  

As I’ve been saying many years we have to go to 4 super conferences.  Each with 20 teams.  2 divisions in each conference.  9 game conference schedule against your division opponents.  Winner of each division goes into the playoff.  That would be 8 teams.  First round would be conference championship games.  That takes you to 4 teams.  Normal bowl matchup playoff in the current format but rotate who plays opposite conferences.  3 non conference games you can play anyone you want to schedule which all will schedule lower teams out of the the super conferences but allow for developing players and rest for the grind.  

Sorry Vandy, Kentucky, Kansas, wake forest, Duke and such... there’s no place for you in big time football same goes for the service academies.  

That takes the eye test, humans bias out of the equation totally and who’s name is on the helmet or front of the jersey.  The championship is actually won on the field by a set standard of rules.  It essentially knocks the printers out.... Troy UAB but they can play for their own FBS G4 (4 super conferences) championship as well.  

Herbstreit's bias makes him impossible to listen to. He and Fowler in the same booth is like hell on earth for me.

II'll apologize in advance for quoting 5 people, but I feel that's better than 5 comments in a row from me.. 

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

Maybe I don't pay attention enough (this year's basketball season and maybe 2010's baseball season have been the ONLY times I've watched sports outside of football), but I don't really notice that. I'm mainly sick of people on both sides crying about tiny little things in movies, etc.

EDIT: They are talking about us now on SC. So that's nice.

You clearly don't pay enough attention if you didn't know ESPN had turned heavily into that SJW crap. 

12 hours ago, MaxP said:

The New York Times had a very complimentary article on our tigers today. It was on the home page of the website when I saw it. We're coming up...

NY Times has historically been very favorable of us. If I'm not mistaken, they named either our 1993 team or the 2004 team the national champions. They have always been one of the more favorable national outlets as far as Auburn is concerned. 

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

Note Wash.was ranked higher than AU ..and were not some unranked middle of the road team.  You don't really think OM or LSU would have scorched Wash do you?

LSUs defense is legit. Either really legit or Miami is so blatantly over ranked its sickening. LSU absolutely stroked the #8 team in the country last night. But I don't think their offense could even move the ball on Washington. 

10 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Very frustrating indeed. I make it a point to click on BSPN for the kick off and turn the channel after the Gus postgame interview. For whatever reason, since it was a matchup of two top 10 teams, I decided to watch the “BSPN after show” on all the week one games. Even though it was the only match up with two top 10 teams, Auburn VS Washington State, was actually the fourth game they showed on the highlights. Yes, the fourth game after all of the Little Ten and Notre Dame highlights.

The broadcasters/Narrators of the show actually said If Washington State wasn’t called for the pic play, when they  legitimately scored what would’ve been a TD, they would’ve/should’ve won the ballgame.

They also continually pointed out that it was basically a home game for Auburn and a road game for poor Washington State that had to travel across the country, to play in enemy territory. I’m thinking to myself we are ranked number nine, they are ranked number five or six and we upset them! BSPN had very little good to say about our victory, and it was very disappointing!

We played Washington, not Washington State. I wasn't going to say anything about it, but you said State in multiple comments. At least show respect for the team we played. That would be like UDub fans calling us the turds. They (UW) despises the Cougars (WSU.) 

7 hours ago, corchjay said:

I’m with you.  Wake me up when he twirlybirds around an heaves up a pass against a D that actually tries to stop the other team instead of a stop gap until Petrino gets to play with his toys on offense.  

With all that said I expect us to be 6 in the coaches poll and 7 in the media poll.  Just win baby.  We are probably rated a little high in my opinion but it is what it is.  Our schedule is brutal!!!

Maybe you missed the 2nd half of the National Championship game? I'm confused as how you can say that if you watched that game. UGAs defense last year was better than UWs this season... And he made them look stupid. 

I'm not all on his Johnson like the national media is, but you have to give credit where credit is due... It's not like the game against an over matched Louisville squad is the only action he has gotten... He made that stud UGA defense last year look absolutely terrible... And brought the turds back from a sure fire loss in the championship. 

15 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Y'all some sensitive folks.  But if you needed it, here is a column about the game focusing on AU.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24550755/auburn-tigers-atlanta-redemption-washington-huskies

So maybe get out of the state once in a while.  Listen and read different things.  I turned on ESPNU radio today on the way home from the airport.  First thing I hear is an in-depth interview with Jason Caldwell from ITAT going over the game and ESPN singing our praises.  A few other national outlets are doing the same.  Again, y'all some sensitive folks.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-2018-Week-1-stats-scores-analysis-121307312/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/auburn-vs-washington-score-no-9-tigers-make-statement-with-win-over-no-6-huskies/

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/09/sec-daily-five-week-1-what-happened-what-mattered/2

Thanks for enlightening us. 

if some auburn fans had their way there would be no articles posted here other than fluff pieces.folks seeing the boogeyman under the bed when most times there are not any. that is my opinion and i am sticking with it.

Here's a roundup of what was written nationally and in Seattle after the game:

-- No. 9 Tigers make statement with win over No. 6 Huskies (CBSSports.com)

-- It is not fair to judge Washington off Saturday's close loss to Auburn in SEC country (USA TODAY)

-- Auburn Makes a Name for Itself by Grinding Past Washington (Sports Illustrated)

-- Auburn Beats Washington in Opener; Jarrett Stidham Outshines Jake Browning (Bleacher Report)

-- Auburn gets Atlanta redemption and signature win (ESPN.com)

-- Huskies fail once again to get signature win outside of Pac-12 competition (Seattle Times)

-- Red zone miscues cost Jake Browning, Huskies (Seattle Times)

-- Not good enough in the red zone, Huskies lose painful opener to Auburn (The Athletic)

there are plenty of articles out there.......shrugs

2 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

Just heard Herbie say on TV that Tua will be the face of college football this year...figures...he also said that Tua was like playing with a player on Madden...Sheesh...complete Tua taint nuzzling by espn...

well didn't bspn just run a mini series on the guy / They have a lot invested in his Heisman campaign as well as sabasses  blessings.

Probably have a contract with uat to promote him 24/7.

50 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if some auburn fans had their way there would be no articles posted here other than fluff pieces.folks seeing the boogeyman under the bed when most times there are not any. that is my opinion and i am sticking with it.

You aren't wrong.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

No, I don't think you get it.  You're making an analog argument in a digital world.  For the most part, local news is a dying industry.  HS prospects don't read the paper or watch the 6 o clock news because HS kids have cell phones, Twitter, and Instagram.  Social media and texting dominates their always connected life and that's where they get news.  For example, remember the plane crash in Seattle a few weeks ago when an engineer stole a jet?  Yeah, I heard about it an hour before any major news outlet broke the story because of Twitter, including where the plane crashed and that it was an airline employee. The medium is so instant and powerful that younger folks don't care about next day analysis, because they've moved on to the next topic.

For in state, if you look at places like the Montgomery Advertiser, AU gets a full 2 page spread every Sunday recapping the game with analysis, just like Bama.  Been that way for years.  And oh yeah, they put a huge picture of AU, not Bama, on their front page Sunday.

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No, I don't think you get it.  You're making an analog argument in a digital world.  For the most part, local news is a dying industry.  HS prospects don't read the paper or watch the 6 o clock news because HS kids have cell phones, Twitter, and Instagram.  Social media and texting dominates their always connected life and that's where they get news.  For example, remember the plane crash in Seattle a few weeks ago when an engineer stole a jet?  Yeah, I heard about it an hour before any major news outlet broke the story because of Twitter, including where the plane crashed and that it was an airline employee. The medium is so instant and powerful that younger folks don't care about next day analysis, because they've moved on to the next topic.

For in state, if you look at places like the Montgomery Advertiser, AU gets a full 2 page spread every Sunday recapping the game with analysis, just like Bama.  Been that way for years.  And oh yeah, they put a huge picture of AU, not Bama, on their front page Sunday.

I agree with everything you said...BUT... news print, online news, and tv news outlets still make a big difference with mom, dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, etc that also have influence over a recruit.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Here's a roundup of what was written nationally and in Seattle after the game:

-- No. 9 Tigers make statement with win over No. 6 Huskies (CBSSports.com)

-- It is not fair to judge Washington off Saturday's close loss to Auburn in SEC country (USA TODAY)

-- Auburn Makes a Name for Itself by Grinding Past Washington (Sports Illustrated)

-- Auburn Beats Washington in Opener; Jarrett Stidham Outshines Jake Browning (Bleacher Report)

-- Auburn gets Atlanta redemption and signature win (ESPN.com)

-- Huskies fail once again to get signature win outside of Pac-12 competition (Seattle Times)

-- Red zone miscues cost Jake Browning, Huskies (Seattle Times)

-- Not good enough in the red zone, Huskies lose painful opener to Auburn (The Athletic)

there are plenty of articles out there.......shrugs

Hey, thanks for posting these.  I appreciate it!

Archived