Media crickets

Zeek

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

One of my three favorite movies of all time!

Me too Brother!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to expand my position on the state media.

Back in the day, and granted that was a long time ago....on the day after a football weekend, the B'ham Post Herald sports pages were split down the middle with coverage of both schools …….almost to the column inch devoted to each team.....and it made an effort to give solid coverage to both in equal measure.    The major media were pretty fairly balanced and made an effort to promote the success of both schools and rarely tried to play one fan base off the other.   They pretty much gave positive coverage to both.  

Today, the major state media has picked its  team and for the most part they shamelessly promote that team and make every effort to generate dissention between the two major fan bases and make no pretext that they are trying to be balanced.  Nor do they seem to appreciate that having two very successful football programs is something for the state to be proud of.....instead, they have somehow reached the conclusion that there is only room for one "winner" and they have picked who it should be.   Even some beat writers for Auburn seem to go out of their way to present the school in a negative light.

For example, how is it possible for one of the state's leading newspapers, when reporting on the Auburn game this past weekend to have two lead articles ...one headline containing the word "finally" and the other headline containing the word "barely"  as key elements of those stories?   Or Auburn "survives …..Malzahn coaching decisions".       This was a great win by AU over a well respected and highly ranked team and you had to dig deep to find that out since most sports hacks  took the low road.  

As for Auburn..     Auburn University and Auburn Football are valuable brands and they spend millions each year to promote a positive image of each to people who are their customers.   As much as anything , this is about marketing and the university  and the Athletic Department are marketing themselves to the residents of Alabama and the HS football players and parents.   And yet.....they are fighting an uphill battle against a state media system that pushes a contrary view.    People of the state should not have to look on ESPN or NYT or some internet sports site to get a balanced report of an AU game or the AU football program.   JMO

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Back in the day, and granted that was a long time ago....on the day after a football weekend, the B'ham Post Herald sports pages were split down the middle with coverage of both schools …….almost to the column inch devoted to each team.....and it made an effort to give solid coverage to both in equal measure.    The major media were pretty fairly balanced and made an effort to promote the success of both schools and rarely tried to play one fan base off the other.   They pretty much gave positive coverage to both.  

Today, the major state media has picked its  team and for the most part they shamelessly promote that team and make every effort to generate dissention between the two major fan bases and make no pretext that they are trying to be balanced.  Nor do they seem to appreciate that having two very successful football programs is something for the state to be proud of.....instead, they have somehow reached the conclusion that there is only room for one "winner" and they have picked who it should be.   Even some beat writers for Auburn seem to go out of their way to present the school in a negative light.

For example, how is it possible for one of the state's leading newspapers, when reporting on the Auburn game this past weekend to have two lead articles ...one headline containing the word "finally" and the other headline containing the word "barely"  as key elements of those stories?   Or Auburn "survives …..Malzahn coaching decisions".       This was a great win by AU over a well respected and highly ranked team and you had to dig deep to find that out since most sports hacks  took the low road.  

As for Auburn..     Auburn University and Auburn Football are valuable brands and they spend millions each year to promote a positive image of each to people who are their customers.   As much as anything , this is about marketing and the university  and the Athletic Department are marketing themselves to the residents of Alabama and the HS football players and parents.   And yet.....they are fighting an uphill battle against a state media system that pushes a contrary view.    People of the state should not have to look on ESPN or NYT or some internet sports site to get a balanced report of an AU game or the AU football program.   JMO

exactly right, back then they had real journalists, not hack bloggers. The Huntsville Times was the same way, excellent writers (John Pruett) who

for the most part were fair. Now the state and bspn media is controlled and bought by the uat mafia, write positive about uat, negative about Auburn or you

will lose access, sponsors, etc.

55 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Lmao some of these folks probably put money on Washington and are salty. Good news is those drives counted ?

They must have forgotten that last drive.....:dunno:

The media are idiots.  Herbie, probably the most respected, was just asked his top 4 after this weekend.  He has Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia... follows it up with how they looked not who they played.  Fowler says Oklahoma looked impressive and Herbie replies back with well you have to take into consideration who they played.   So which is it Herbie...Then they discuss where Washington would fall to but didn’t mention numbers or even AU.

Like I have mentioned many times until it doesn’t matter the name on the helmet or front of the jersey and there are defined by ways to get into the playoff then you’ll always have human bias

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

That is some of the stupidest logic I’ve ever read. That tweet was bad and she should feel bad. 

Yeah, really. Lets just take away the good the other team did, and then we are the better team. Wth? There is not even a word to describe the stupidity of her statement.

8 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Did you read the responses to her tweet ? She got destroyed by fans including Washington's, lol.

I received a lot of satisfaction from the comments. Feed her and the show to the wolves.

ESPN is a joke. I don't think they have an agenda against Auburn, but it does get a little old during games to listen to a one-sided broadcast. Yes, the other night there were some positive comments about Auburn, but, good lord, it was a lovefest for the Washington quarterback. And he was the second-best quarterback on the field.

remember bspn agenda is to pave the way for uat so they want to get potential problems for the updykes out of the way.

Auburn is very capable of beating their boss and ruining their Heisman campaign. bspn is working hard for uat, and with each week

it will grow.

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

For what it’s wirth BSPN’s weekly power ranking has us third this week behind uat and Clemson, so somebody is seeing the light.

It’s a formula, not so much opinion but a formula. Played and beat the number six team in the country, so we move up to number three in the power ranking. It plays into what we’re saying... move up to number three, yet have to dig and search to find anything positive written about us.

22 hours ago, AU64 said:

AU's own fault!  I heard that "Back in the Day" Auburn housed a great school of journalism - which could pump out graduates that would later work for the State media outlets and maybe even actually "own" some of those newspapers that could carry sway with balanced reporting.  

It's not a difficult problem to fix really.  If you want AU in positive headlines, with glowing tag lines put AUburn people behind the damn keyboard, and in the editors desk chair.

22 minutes ago, keesler said:

AU's own fault!  I heard that "Back in the Day" Auburn housed a great school of journalism - which could pump out graduates that would later work for the State media outlets and maybe even actually "own" some of those newspapers that could carry sway with balanced reporting.  

It's not a difficult problem to fix really.  If you want AU in positive headlines, with glowing tag lines put AUburn people behind the damn keyboard, and in the editors desk chair.

Sorry but I could not agree any less.   AU journalism grads have done little or nothing to promote AU...which was not their job anyway.   And if you look at the pedigree of many of the al.com "journalists" I am betting you don't find many bammer backgrounds and the bama journalism  school is nothing special anyway. 

BTW....  

Tom Bates who is president of Alabama Media group is a U of Virginia grad the Director of Content is from Stanford. .

https://www.alabamamediagroup.com/brands/

Thing is...Alabama Media group has bought up all the major media in the state and some in Mississippi and they all speak with one voice if you check the sites of their "affiliates".     These folks made a business decision based on some stats that say 75% of the state's residents are bama fans....or something like that.....so they are gonna devote their attention and appeal toward those and if they have to more or less write off the other 25%......well, that's just a business decision and you can't please everyone.  

I don't care if you are able to get a job at al.com.....what you end up writing will have to meet the approval of the Editors and follow the party line and the marketing plan. 

15 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Did you read the responses to her tweet ? She got destroyed by fans including Washington's, lol.

Did she delete the tweet?

look the REC has done a good job putting money where it counts. Most of these writers are paid or forced to feed the uat fans. I would normally say so what but here is where it gets you. Nick cam to uat as a fair coach but The REC controlled the media and everything was the greatest. And player they got moved up immediately in star ranking so their early classes were ranked #1 . They lost to the little Louisiana school and nobody wrote squat. Pretty soon they became more myth than reality. They even wrote stories that the were winning championship in ADay games. How does help, twice the were the third best team in the conference and got to still play for the he title. No one else could have done that because uat has bought out Espn.

Watched a video on YouTube of Colin Cowart and Joel Klatt picking the UMvsND and UWvsAU. Klatt picked both wrong, so naturally I went back to see his reaction. Klatt said Washington was the better team and that they beat themselves by not scoring inside the 10 on 3 trips. Colin said Auburn is good and Klatt basically said “meh”.

I don’t get it. 

29 minutes ago, tigerfangs said:

Watched a video on YouTube of Colin Cowart and Joel Klatt picking the UMvsND and UWvsAU. Klatt picked both wrong, so naturally I went back to see his reaction. Klatt said Washington was the better team and that they beat themselves by not scoring inside the 10 on 3 trips. Colin said Auburn is good and Klatt basically said “meh”.

I don’t get it.

People don’t like to admit they’re wrong.

Archived