So what about those intermediate shots across the middle

Eagle Eye 7

Haven’t seen anyone mention them. A lot of posters were pushing for JS to do more of those quick passes across the middle. I think he was pretty successful in doing that. Gives us a new weapon to the arsenal. 

46 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Haven’t seen anyone mention them. A lot of posters were pushing for JS to do more of those quick passes across the middle. I think he was pretty successful in doing that. Gives us a new weapon to the arsenal. 

I loved them. Really don’t understand why it took so long to get them routes back.

1 hour ago, Tigger1985 said:

Loved them calling them then we got away from it. Did we call more than our limit?

Exactly my thought.  We needed to run more of them, because Washington wasn't stopping it at all.  They were actively trying to take away the deep shot.  Left the medium range wide open.

3 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Yep, the wide receiver slant was one of the only consistently productive thing we had on offense.  Long time coming, and I for one have wondered when we would finally figure that one out.

What slants are you referring to? I remember us running a lot of posts, But I don't remember a single slant being run.

Defensive alignment takes some routes away.  We have been seeing a lot of cover 1 with man over and zone under.  The slant isn’t a great call in that.  

Yesterday Udub was running cover 2 man and the slant is a good call on that.   Plus the quick screen to Davis. When they went to cover 2 zone we had to get away from it but tried to combat it with the deep corner route which was covered many times or just didn’t pull the trigger yet we hit the underneath on that combo route to the TE and to Cox all alone.  

They also ran cover 1 some in man but I think Gus and Chip were afraid to take the shot on the post and skinny post to the deep middle.  It’s a slow developing play and you have to draw the safety with the QBs eyes and a deep curl/in route to pull the safety.  But you gotta have time.  

1 hour ago, ReidMcLain said:

What slants are you referring to? I remember us running a lot of posts, But I don't remember a single slant being run.

It could've been a been short 10 yard post (the lines kinda get blurred in that range), but I thought we ran a slant for a first down with NCM later in the game. Idk what exact time, but I remember it being a lil high but overall a well placed ball that NCM adjusted to well.

I’ll leave the details about the defense to Coarch, I’m just glad to see us actually throw a few of them.  And to my untrained eye they looked wide-ass open!  

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It could've been a been short 10 yard post (the lines kinda get blurred in that range), but I thought we ran a slant for a first down with NCM later in the game. Idk what exact time, but I remember it being a lil high but overall a well placed ball that NCM adjusted to well.

6 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Image result for inside slant route

Yeah I’m not sure about how many slants we actually ran but I remember Seth Williams and Nate-Craig Meyers almost exclusively running 10 yard post  routes (beautifully I might add). I was watching LSU run slants vs Miami and they were killing their DB’s off of man coverage. We’ll need to do the same to LSU’s corners in two weeks.

Loved those slants and routes. I want to see more of those 5 and in’s for guys like Ryan Davis, Schwartz and Hill as check down options as well

On 9/2/2018 at 9:46 PM, aujeff11 said:

I loved them. Really don’t understand why it took so long to get them routes back.

Agree. Those passes are harder to stop than backshoulder throws and are potential TDS every time because of the way the receiver is running. It’s a lot about timing and it looks like JS and the receivers have been working a lot of OT ?

On 9/2/2018 at 9:58 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

They looked great in the 1st Quarter.  After that we went back to a good bit of deep routes leaving Cox, thankfully, as the only option to check down to before the rush got to JS.  For some reason when we run deep routes 20 yards and longer we tend to send all of our guys on them instead of running much underneath stuff at the same time.  Had Cox not been there for the lone check down Jarrett would have been in trouble.

3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

They looked great in the 1st Quarter.  After that we went back to a good bit of deep routes leaving Cox, thankfully, as the only option to check down to before the rush got to JS.  For some reason when we run deep routes 20 yards and longer we tend to send all of our guys on them instead of running much underneath stuff at the same time.  Had Cox not been there for the lone check down Jarrett would have been in trouble.

I agree and as I stated earlier it is a good place for Cox to be. He is not fast but if he’s wide open he usually makes the catch. I think Coachj covered it earlier that UW changed their coverage after a couple of completions so AU had to change their attack.

27 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Coachj covered it earlier that UW changed their coverage after a couple of completions so AU had to change their attack.

Which was the most important thing I saw from our coaches and O during the game.

The passing game was very good.  Mixed in a lot of different looks and routes.  The problem was we couldn’t move the chains running the ball.  We run the ball just a little better and this game is a 3 score win.  And I know we will run the ball better going forward.

On 9/3/2018 at 2:21 AM, ReidMcLain said:

We ran a slant to NCM on 3rd and 7 with a little over 7 minutes left in the 1st quarter for a 24 yard gain.

Archived