What do you want to see in week 2?

Barnacle

What do you want to see next week?

As a purely selfish matter - I'd like to see more of Shaun Shivers. He's been the most intriguing player on our roster all off-season, and I'm even more intrigued having seen him pick up that first down on Saturday.

For that matter, I'd like to see all of our backs get plenty of touches. I expect that we are going to be very, very run heavy in preparation for LSU in week 3. If we can get Kam and Boobie around 15 touches each behind our starting line, and then Shivers and Asa another 15 between them, that would be incredible. I fully expect Kam to have a 12+ carry, 100+ yard kind of day on the ground. He didn't have many creases to run through against Washington. He'll get those against Alabama State. As for Boobie, I'd like to see more of him in the Wildcat, and in the redzone.

Chandler Cox made some big plays in the passing game against Washington, and I'd like to see both Kam and Boobie involved more in the passing game. Lindsey didn't give either Martin or Whitlow many chances in pass pro against Washington. I'm not sure if the plan moving forward is to continue to rely upon Cox, but I'd like to see both of those guys get more chances to develop themselves in pass pro. 

Speaking of passes out of the backfield, I don't want to see too much of Ryan Davis. I think he's our second most valuable player on offense behind Stidham, and we can't afford an injury to him. Same goes for Stidham, especially if the game plan is to be run heavy. It would be great to see Willis running the offense during the entire second half. 

On defense, I just want to see plenty of man-to-man coverage and a healthy rotation through the secondary. The more "live bullets" they get in one-on-one coverage, as Steele said, the better. Seems like we can probably expect to see more young guys playing at corner with players like Davis being a bit banged up. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RUN, RUN, RUN. OL needs to get in a rhythm as do the RBs. Get them good experience running the O in a game environment. Gonna be another slugfest in week 3 against LSU’s DL. Also more polishing of the RB flare passes, they seem odd and awkward looking at times. Looked they had potential to go for big gains at times Saturday, but it didn’t appear to be fluid in the execution.

Just now, leglessdan said:

RUN, RUN, RUN. OL needs to get in a rhythm as do the RBs. Get them good experience running the O in a game environment. Gonna be another slugfest in week 3 against LSU’s DL. Also more polishing of the RB flare passes, they seem odd and awkward looking at times. Looked they had potential to go for big gains at times Saturday, but it didn’t appear to be fluid in the execution.

Stidham also threw a bullet at Whitlow's head at one point. The ball has to be catchable. 

Nice post @Barnacle

I agree with those plus I have hope to see a lot of Brahms at Center to have both ready for the next week.  I'm not giving up on Kim but he's been disappointing to me.

I want to see nothing but 2nd & 3rd string after the first series in the 3rd Qtr.  We know that has not been the case for AU lately so it would be nice to do what they're supposed to do in a game like this.

No injuries, period.

No punts (sorry Siposs).

Continue to try intermediate passing routes in the middle.  Maybe for a game like this they can live there.  Bombs should be unnecessary except on occasion to give the fans a big play for giggles.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Continue to try intermediate passing routes in the middle.  Maybe for a game like this they can live there.  Bombs should be unnecessary except on occasion to give the fans a big play for giggles.

This is a good one

I’d love to see Jarrett survey the field and throw to the open man. Missed a couple on Saturday that would’ve prevented the scrambles.

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

I’d love to see Jarrett survey the field and throw to the open man. Missed a couple on Saturday that would’ve prevented the scrambles.

Can anyone point to these on film? I know Lindsey talked about a couple guys running open, but I can't recall it. Would like to see what you guys are talking about. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Can anyone point to these on film? I know Lindsey talked about a couple guys running open, but I can't recall it. Would like to see what you guys are talking about. 

Hard to notice in the AU Offense versus UW defense but there’s a couple spots throughout the video that you can see Ryan Davis just sitting there waiting to be thrown to and Stid misses him completely. Jalen Harris is literally standing with arms waving in the end zone (in the third when Jarrett runs for three or four near our sideline). It’s interesting because I noticed Jarrett doing it a ton against Clemson and in our earlier games last season but towards the end he had shaken that off. But it seems it’s came back again.

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Hard to notice in the AU Offense versus UW defense but there’s a couple spots throughout the video that you can see Ryan Davis just sitting there waiting to be thrown to and Stid misses him completely. Jalen Harris is literally standing with arms waving in the end zone (in the third when Jarrett runs for three or four near our sideline). It’s interesting because I noticed Jarrett doing it a ton against Clemson and in our earlier games last season but towards the end he had shaken that off. But it seems it’s came back again.

Out of likes, but the play you are talking about with Harris sounds like the play Lindsey was talking about. He definitely needs to work on standing in there - and stepping up in the pocket. It's obviously going to help our football team, but it's also going to be a sticking point with some NFL teams. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Out of likes, but the play you are talking about with Harris sounds like the play Lindsey was talking about. He definitely needs to work on standing in there - and stepping up in the pocket. It's obviously going to help our football team, but it's also going to be a sticking point with some NFL teams. 

Is there a link for that interview? I’d love to see it! 

Agree on Stidham though, he’s gotta stay in there but his footwork was way better than what we saw last year

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Is there a link for that interview? I’d love to see it! 

Agree on Stidham though, he’s gotta stay in there but his footwork was way better than what we saw last year

Agree. Think there's been steady improvement since Clemson last year. Thought UCF was a regression, but overall it's been a good trend.

Edit: Lindsey's interview was posted by RuninRed this morning, coordinators thread. 

22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

One that I remember was on the goal line and the ball was batted away from the inside receiver but Cannella was open on the outside.

A lot of points . The offense continuously to take shape . Don’t want to see 80 percent run with the back ups 

Boobie....lots of Boobie.  ;)

Plenty of Asa and Shivers. Some of those young Freshman WR's getting into the action. A deep ball or two to one of the track stars, just to give LSU something to think about.

Find McClain in the passing game. 

Some of the younger LB's getting some action.

Rest several starters on defense. 

Play stid for one half or less. Continue to work on the timing of the passing game with stid in there in the first quarter. It is our strength this year.

After that, run it a lot with the RBs. Give Brahms and Asa a look. 

Jump out quick, rest the starters and no injuries. Turn Shivers loose!  Turn Asa loose!  Get those freshmen wideouts some catches!  Work in the youngsters on D.  Get ready for LSU.  They looked good last night!

I wanna see Asa and Worm get a lot of carries.  

I wanna see Seth W, Hill, and Schwartz play a lot.  

I wanna see Britt, Wooten, Smoke, Sherwood, Tutt, and others on defense get a lot of snaps.  

I wanna see someone not named Jarrett Stidham make some accurate passes (don’t care which one)

I wanna see a score of 40+ to 0.   However, I’m willing to allow a score because of all the young guys getting experience.  

Archived