Nike chooses Kapaernick for Just Do It...

japantiger

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like both Nike and Adidas more than under armor. Regardless of my political opinion,  the use of Kapernick as their guy won’t prevent me from buying the product if I like it. I use Brooks for running shoes anyway. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Another reason not to buy Nike....

I'm sure they miss your business. 

Just now, AUDub said:

I'm sure they miss your business. 

Nah...because they never had in the first place...:)  and it will stay that way...

46 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nah...because they never had in the first place...:)  and it will stay that way...

What I don't understand is why Nike decided to step into this quagmire?   

I can't imagine that some market study or focus group delivered some information that Kaper would attract new customers to the Nike brand or even retain those who already buy Nike's over priced goods.  

JMO but some higher level exec made this decision for personal /social reasons without much consideration for whether it was good for the company's stockholders or employees.   Likely it won't matter much in the way of sales....and Kaper will just get a nice check from Nike because someone wanted to give him the money.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

New Balance is a much better product. I only own one pair of Nikes and three pairs of their socks. Going into the thrift store donation box tonight.

It’s weird. it’s almost as if Nike’s target market isn’t hyper-politically engaged middle aged and senior citizen MAGA hat owners so they don’t care what they think.

I haven't bought anything Nike in years. Phil Knight is a jerk. My brother-in -law ran track at Oregon St. while Knight ran for Oregon. Oregon is the bama of their state.

53 minutes ago, AUDub said:

It’s weird. it’s almost as if Nike’s target market isn’t hyper-politically engaged middle aged and senior citizen MAGA hat owners so they don’t care what they think.

They might as well drop all their golf wear line  then:)

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

They might as well drop all their golf wear line  then:)

Something tells me Nike’s golf customers skew younger too. And they don’t care about this stuff nearly as much as Paw Paw does. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Something tells me Nike’s golf customers skew younger too. And they don’t care about this stuff nearly as much as Paw Paw does. 

That is why this country is fading. Perhaps Trump and Pence can continue to be successful in reversing  this trend set by the 8 years of the Great Divider.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Just asking if actual surveys showed this to be true?  Which I doubt....but my question, and I don't actually care since I don't support Nike if I can help it....Phil Knight, etc....is I'm wondering what demographic will be swayed toward Nike products because a failed NFL football player and high profile protestor says it is a good product.    

Who could CK influence to buy Nike?...and do they really have the money to buy those over-priced shoes?    Just a question.....and I'm just suggesting that Nike does not know the answer to that....JMO>

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just asking if actual surveys showed this to be true?  Which I doubt....but my question, and I don't actually care since I don't support Nike if I can help it....Phil Knight, etc....is I'm wondering what demographic will be swayed toward Nike products because a failed NFL football player and high profile protestor says it is a good product.    

Who could CK influence to buy Nike?...and do they really have the money to buy those over-priced shoes?    Just a question.....and I'm just suggesting that Nike does not know the answer to that....JMO>

No I don’t. I imagine Nike does. Which is why when you look at their portfolio of athletes they promote for endorsements, there ain’t a whole lot of 50 year old buttoned down white guys. It’s marketed to athletes and outside of baseball among the three major sports, it’s predominantly black guys. 

If their apparent target market wasn’t spending dollars on the gear, they wouldn’t be the target market.

20 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

That is why this country is fading. Perhaps Trump and Pence can continue to be successful in reversing  this trend set by the 8 years of the Great Divider.

:lol:

Just now, TitanTiger said:

No I don’t. I imagine Nike does. Which is why when you look at their portfolio of athletes they promote for endorsements, there ain’t a whole lot of 50 year old buttoned down white guys. It’s marketed to athletes and outside of baseball among the three major sports, it’s predominantly black guys. 

If their apparent target market wasn’t spending dollars on the gear, they wouldn’t be the target market.

true...And if they have made a strategic decision that young black guys are the target customers....that's OK with me.  Nike seems to be a profitable company so looks like they are doing the right thing for themselves.   Seems to work for basketball players....but as stated before...wondering what demographic idolizes CP.....and how many young black guys even know who he is? 

Their venture into golf equipment with Tiger did not last that long nor go that well and mostly they are out of the golf business anyway as far as I can tell. . 

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

:lol:

Sometimes these guys are a self parody. If I didn't know any better, I'd think they were punking us.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

true...And if they have made a strategic decision that young black guys are the target customers....that's OK with me.  Nike seems to be a profitable company so looks like they are doing the right thing for themselves.   Seems to work for basketball players....but as stated before...wondering what demographic idolizes CP.....and how many young black guys even know who he is? 

Their venture into golf equipment with Tiger did not last that long nor go that well and mostly they are out of the golf business anyway as far as I can tell. .  

Yeah, well that's because Tiger couldn't be satisfied with a supermodel at home and keep it in his pants.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yeah, they just never could crack the stronghold that companies like Titleist, PING and others had on the sport.  And of course, Tiger's personal and health problems the last few years didn't do them any favors.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah, they just never could crack the stronghold that companies like Titleist, PING and others had on the sport.  And of course, Tiger's personal and health problems the last few years didn't do them any favors.

They tried also with Rory ...but neither wanted to play their equipment.....liked the shirts but not their clubs.... and probably nobody was buying those $200 basketball shoes just because Tiger hitting a Nike golf ball....and had a couple Nike clubs in his bag which he did not actually have to hit. 

Archived