Nike chooses Kapaernick for Just Do It...

japantiger

I find this whole thing a big bag of meh.  Nike is being provocative and trying to make money.  Take it for what it is and move on.

Now, I am angry at those idiots burning their clothes/shoes.  You don't have to want em anymore, but at least donate the stuff to charity.  Lots of needy folks in our country who could use a new pair of shoes.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's missing here is the misunderstanding and rejection of Kapaernick's intent- by his own words. 

Trump supporters prefer to lap up the fallacy - promoted by Trump - that he's trying to show disrespect to our country, which is simply a lie.  (Trump - the great divider.:no:)

Not to mention this sort of reaction is unAmerican. There is nothing about our value system that requires a certain type of behavior simply because our president acts like an autocratic tyrant.

It reminds me of a book I recently read about the American ambassador to Germany in the late 1930s.  He and his family were walking down a street in Berlin when a Brownshirt parade marched by singing patriotic songs.  The expectation was that every pedestrian stop, face the parade and raise their arm in the Nazi salute.  If not, a few of the  Brownshirts would break off from the parade and beat the s*** out of them, which is exactly what happened to our Ambassador's family, in particular his teenage son.

Such behavior does not reflect American values, nor does the venom been expressed toward Colin Kapaernick by Trump or anyone else.  It's shameful.

I’m not a Nike fan. I buy what feels and looks good also considering cost, never top shelf. Nike uses overseas slave labor as probably all shoe manufacturers. If I boycott it’s for this.  But I have several Nike products. I don’t like or 100% agree with Kaepernick. But I can’t digest the blatant hypocrisy that criticized him and his stances. It’s truly amazing. To use Pat Tillman (who was an awesome human being)as a crutch should be shameful in itself. Tillman is in fact probably one of the most disrespected people in this whole ordeal. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

100% of them support Trump.

And 100% of the batshit crazy violent (anti)facists-facists, marxist, anti-semitic, night-shade, anarcho-feminist-collective, open boarder, abolish ice, vagina hat wearing, radical abortionist, anticapitalist, ACORN, anarchist, leftists support your side...the only difference is, we actually condemn the neo-Nazi's....they're part of your platform.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

To use Pat Tillman (who was an awesome human being)as a crutch should be shameful in itself. Tillman is in fact probably one of the most disrespected people in this whole ordeal. 

Didn't know he was being used - by the right, I assume? I can promise you that Tillman would not agree with their politics. 

29 minutes ago, japantiger said:

And 100% of the batshit crazy violent (anti)facists-facists, marxist, anti-semitic, night-shade, anarcho-feminist-collective, open boarder, abolish ice, vagina hat wearing, radical abortionist, anticapitalist, ACORN, anarchist, leftists support your side...the only difference is, we actually condemn the neo-Nazi's....they're part of your platform.

.000001   Big deal.  ;D

(But I see you have perfected the "mini-rant".  That's something.  ;))

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

.000001   Big deal.  ;D

(But I see you have perfected the "mini-rant".  That's something.  ;))

Homey, those groups I named represent over 20% of the democrat base....and they are the most vocal...they're the clowns claiming Kavanaugh's confirmation will cause the end of the world (well, after we recover from the last end-of-the-world-event, net-neurtrality of course, or was it tax cuts or NAFTA or NATO or, well, it's so hard to keep up with all the end of the world events straight nowadays).  And they're the ones old Chuck and Nancy have conspired with to disrupt the SCOTUS hearings....own it Homey; they're your people....

insane-clown-posse-star-jester-sticker-s

17 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Homey, those groups I named represent over 20% of the democrat base....and they are the most vocal...they're the clowns claiming Kavanaugh's confirmation will cause the end of the world (well, after we recover from the last end-of-the-world-event, net-neurtrality of course, or was it tax cuts or NAFTA or NATO or, well, it's so hard to keep up with all the end of the world events straight nowadays).  And they're the ones old Chuck and Nancy have conspired with to disrupt the SCOTUS hearings....own it Homey; they're your people....

:bs:

"batshit crazy violent (anti)facists-facists, marxist, anti-semitic, night-shade, anarcho-feminist-collective, open boarder, abolish ice, vagina hat wearing, radical abortionist, anticapitalist, ACORN, anarchist, leftists "

Care to break that down?  :laugh:

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Didn't know he was being used - by the right, I assume? I can promise you that Tillman would not agree with their politics. 

I have seen his picture with the captions something like ‘someone who actually sacrificed everything ‘. Maybe not exactly the quote. Could have sworn it was here but maybe not. 

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Because no one is truly consistent on this.  And everyone screams for boycotts at the drop of a hat these days to the point where they are largely meaningless as a form of protest.

Not "no one". You can bet that I won't be spending money with Nike or Dick's. I can't control what others do, but I can and will control where my money is spent.

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I just think the bar ought to be a good bit higher for trying to coerce or manipulate others into changing their views or their expressions of them.  Going around perpetually frustrated or offended is no way to live life.

Who is attempting to manipulate? Advertisements clearly do, but I'm not advertising. Where is "perpetually frustrated or offended" coming from? It makes me happy to walk into my local gun store instead of Dicks. That's satisfying, not frustrating.

My wife has a longer list of places/organizations she will and won't patronize.. For instance, she won't donate to any charity that supports Planned Parenthood. That's the American way, support those who share your views and don't support those whose views differ from yours. It's satisfying, not frustrating.

Just now, Mikey said:

Not "no one". You can bet that I won't be spending money with Nike or Dick's. I can't control what others do, but I can and will control where my money is spent. 

I bet if we dissected your spending habits vs your stated views on various issues, we could find plenty of fun inconsistencies.  The end result of a consistent boycott looks something like this:

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Who is attempting to manipulate? Advertisements clearly do, but I'm not advertising. Where is "perpetually frustrated or offended" coming from? It makes me happy to walk into my local gun store instead of Dicks. That's satisfying, not frustrating.

My wife has a longer list of places/organizations she will and won't patronize.. For instance, she won't donate to any charity that supports Planned Parenthood. That's the American way, support those who share your views and don't support those whose views differ from yours. It's satisfying, not frustrating.

Like I said, the bar would be considerably higher for me and not supporting a company that literally kills human beings and fights tooth and nail for the legal right to continue doing so clears that bar pretty easily to me.  I get that.  

But the overwhelming majority of boycotts are just stupid.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But the overwhelming majority of boycotts are just stupid.

Perhaps. Our boycotts are personal, not associated with any larger movements. I will note that the Montgomery bus boycott was quite effective.  That family that's boycotting everything is probably wound quite a bit too tight.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Perhaps. Our boycotts are personal, not associated with any larger movements. I will note that the Montgomery bus boycott was quite effective.  That family that's boycotting everything is probably wound quite a bit too tight.

I agree with the MBB.  That would be an example of one that was meaningful and mattered.  The overwhelming majority are just people getting butthurt over minor crap.

20 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  It's not the point though.  The point is, the folks getting their knickers in a twist over this don't affect Nike's bottom line.  They aren't their target market.

There is no maybe, their golf line sucks. The rest of your post, their bottom line, is of no concern to me. 

20 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Exactly.  Which supports the notion that they really don't care what that segment of the population thinks about it.

Exactly. What I said the first time. Homes you paying attention or need me to nudge your old a$$? :lol:

21 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Are you trying to hit some quota on irrelevant responses and missing the point?

Your post was ignorant. I simply pointed it out. The percentage of white nationalist/neo-nazi's in this country are minuscule and irrelevant. Bring forth a legitimate point and we can debate it. 

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

100% of them support Trump.

I am willing to look at facts. Present them. 

8 hours ago, AUDub said:

Another thing, I'm glad no one here is assigning any sort of benevolent motive to Nike, a global brand if there ever was one. Sure, the ad may be slick marketing, but their motive is profit, not social change. We would do well not to forget that. 

Obvious from the start.

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Obvious from the start.

For people with a proper perspective on how multinationals operate, yeah. There are plenty of idiots on either side getting this wrong. 

5 hours ago, japantiger said:

insane-clown-posse-star-jester-sticker-s

So you are talking about a few effeminate males and a handful of bat s*** crazy females. What else you got? 

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

For people with a proper perspective on how multinationals operate, yeah. There are plenty of idiots on either side getting this wrong

We agree. 

So...haven't seen an opinion on whether this new "face" will generate any new business for Nike ?     That is usually the purpose of an advertising campaign. 

Archived