2018 Auburn vs. Alabama State Score Prediction

Zeek

Well I'm a day late, curse you holiday weekend, but let's get to it!

First and foremost let's look at last week's winners: @DunwoodyTiger would be the winner if it went by the rules of The Price is Right as he predicted an oh-so-close (20-16). Our other co-winner is @War Cav Eagle who was also one number off with a (21-17) prediction. *Actual score was (21-16) in Auburn's favor for those of short memory. I award both of them 5 internet points each which can be redeemed for one compliment from @bigbird.

auburnwashingtonpost.jpgalabamastate.jpg

Auburn vs. Alabama State at Jordan Hare Stadium // 6:30 PM C.T.

Very little is known about Alabama State to the average Auburn fan. So, I did some basic googling and looked at their schedule from last year. The Hornets average just under 14 ppg and allowed just below 19 ppg; that's a pretty stingy defense and a pretty inept offense no matter what level of football you're playing! Then, and this is probably the best measurement we'll have, I looked at our one common opponent from last year: Alabama A&M. Auburn blew out Alabama A&M in a rare shutout for the Tigers (55-0) last season; The Hornets also beat Alabama A&M with a much closer margin of (21-16) a score that is ironically the same as our score last week.

With all of this in consideration I can begin formulating my most realistic guess as to how this game might go; last week I was overly optimistic and pegged us as winning (31-10) overestimating Auburn by 10 points and underestimating Washington by 6 points. This week I think I can get much closer! Auburn is going to look for a way to pound the rock as often as possible. Likely this means less plays will be ran, thus the score won't be ludicrous. Kam and Boobee should get a healthy number of carries and it's likely their backups, Asa and Shiv, will also get their fair share. Most importantly, Auburn will likely need a four touchdown lead before feeling comfortable enough to fully turn over the reigns to Malik Willis for the remainder of the game.

Stidham slings the ball for three touchdowns in the first four drives with Kam Martin punching in the fourth. Boobee comes in with Willis and gets his yards and a touchdown as well. Then it becomes the rookie show with Willis, Asa, Shiv, Seth, Schwartz, Hill, and others. Alabama State averaged 14 points a year ago against much worse defenses, the third string slips up and gives them one score to boast about back in Montgomery.

Auburn Tigers 52 - Alabama State Hornets 7

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty spot on Zeek!

I’ll say 59-10. JS 200 yards, 3 TDs to RD, NCM, and DS. KMart 175 yards, 2TDs. Boobie 110 yards, 1 TD. MW 200 total yards, 1 passing TD. And an Iggy pick 6. Carlson 45 yarder.

23 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Pretty spot on Zeek!

I’ll say 59-10. JS 200 yards, 3 TDs to RD, NCM, and DS. KMart 175 yards, 2TDs. Boobie 110 yards, 1 TD. MW 200 total yards, 1 passing TD. And an Iggy pick 6. Carlson 45 yarder.

Thank you, I'm confident we'll put up a minimum of 35 and a maximum of 70 but Gus isn't usually the kind of guy to run the score up that high; we'll go uber conservative before getting to that level of a blowout. I would love a pick-6.

I can see us having a small hangover from the big game. We may start a little slow but the opponent is so bad it won’t matter. I see Running backs running, the clock moving, and starters resting  

48-3 final 

I want Smoke and Sherwood to play the entire 2nd half with Tutt and McCreary at the corners. Substitute accordingly.

I'm seeing way too many 10 and 14 point predictions for ASU.  Not sure some of y'all realize how bad that team is, especially on offense.  They scored 16 or fewer 9 times last year while playing in the SWAC.  I'd honestly be shocked if they get past our 30 unless there's a freak fumble recovery.

14 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm seeing way too many 10 and 14 point predictions for ASU.  Not sure some of y'all realize how bad that team is, especially on offense.  They scored 16 or fewer 9 times last year while playing in the SWAC.  I'd honestly be shocked if they get past our 30 unless there's a freak fumble recovery.

Agreed, that really stood out to me when I was averaging their total ppg from last year. At least we're hopefully giving them a pay day of some sorts?

31 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm only predicting it because we will probably be playing our depth guys who have hardly any experience against their starters.  There are bound to be mistakes that happen when you give back ups of the back ups a chance to play.  A simple fumble in our own territory or a pick 6 from the 3rd string QB. I would be glad to have a shut out but I think in order to improve our depth we have to give our guys at the bottom of the depth chart reps in a game.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Thank you, I'm confident we'll put up a minimum of 35 and a maximum of 70 but Gus isn't usually the kind of guy to run the score up that high; we'll go uber conservative before getting to that level of a blowout. I would love a pick-6.

yep....probably in the low 50s unless ASU helps us with fumbles or interceptions

21 minutes ago, McFU said:

I'm only predicting it because we will probably be playing our depth guys who have hardly any experience against their starters.  There are bound to be mistakes that happen when you give back ups of the back ups a chance to play.  A simple fumble in our own territory or a pick 6 from the 3rd string QB. I would be glad to have a shut out but I think in order to improve our depth we have to give our guys at the bottom of the depth chart reps in a game.

I get your logic, but our scholarship 3rd stringers who've never played a down would all start on ASU's team right now, no questions asked.  ASU is a beyond terrible FCS football team.

32 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I get your logic, but our scholarship 3rd stringers who've never played a down would all start on ASU's team right now, no questions asked.  ASU is a beyond terrible FCS football team.

That may be true, I don't know much about them, just us and how we tend to bog down in the 3rd quarter and that is with our 2-deep. I think we have too green of guys sitting 3rd or lower on the depth charts that mistakes will be made.  This is more about AU making mistakes than the ability of ASU to do anything.

Archived