John Broussard has left the team

AUDub

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Depth chart squeeze? 

That would be really weird... He's a CB correct? A young one at that.

Quite honestly, sometimes it makes sense for a player and sometimes it doesn't. What it does say most of the time is that education was not the primary reason for attending.

45 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Depth chart squeeze? 

Most likely.  Was a highly recruited 4* DB when we signed him.  He was planning on making Auburn DBU, or so he said when he signed.  Just couldn't really crack the starting position although I believe he was on the 2-deep so that was confusing.  We definitely needed him for depth purposes.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Most likely.  Was a highly recruited 4* DB when we signed him.  He was planning on making Auburn DBU, or so he said when he signed.  Just couldn't really crack the starting position although I believe he was on the 2-deep so that was confusing.  We definitely needed him for depth purposes.

Maybe salty a converted Iggy beat him out after such a quick transition; but we shouldn't speculate. I wish him the best but I really thought he'd break into the rotation pretty early.

I had very high hopes for JB when he was signed.  Apparently he hasn't lived up to the expectations of the coaching staff.  Although he did play and was on Special Teams, I think.  I really hate to see a player with potential walk away from a program because of playing time, if that is the reason.  I wish him luck at his next stop. 

Sorry to see him leave the program, but he never lived up to the expectations the coaching staff had for him.

One of these threads had a social media picture he posted before the game where he seemed excited.

Guessing he wasn't happy about something besides PT but that's just #rumormongering on my part.

I wonder if JB felt scheme squeezed. He's a slight guy. The fit between his style/size and Steele's aggressive/physical scheme wasn't good. Falling behind Dean and Iggy over the last two years, playing behind Leonard last year, and now seeing Tutt and McCreary push up the depth chart reinforces the kind of physicality we value in that position. I hate it for Broussard. He's been working hard for a long time. The timing stinks, but otherwise, I wish him nothing but success. If he wants to play, I hope he finds a landing spot to do so.

Best of luck to the young man. Sometimes a particular school simply doesn't work out.

6 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Quite honestly, sometimes it makes sense for a player and sometimes it doesn't. What it does say most of the time is that education was not the primary reason for attending.

It rarely is the primary reason for anyathlete that had a wide range of schools to pick from

I wish him the absolute best.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

It rarely is the primary reason for anyathlete that had a wide range of schools to pick from

Spot on, unfortunately.  Fortunately, some still wind up with a degree despite their original intentions.  Hopefully, they're better off for the experience.  Hope Broussard ends up at a good place for him and does well.

So that's Leonard, McCreary and Tutt as backups. That's a LOT of youth in the secondary. I guess Broussard saw the writing on the wall.

39 minutes ago, CR said:

So that's Leonard, McCreary and Tutt as backups. That's a LOT of youth in the secondary. I guess Broussard saw the writing on the wall.

But still ridiculous timing to quit after the first game. He probably would have played in game 2. 

13 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

But still ridiculous timing to quit after the first game. He probably would have played in game 2. 

It’s weird to quit after the 1st game after you went through pure hell in all of Fall camp + the class load & football the last few weeks.  

You never know what all went into the decision and the timing of it. He's got a life outside of football, too. Maybe he just broke up with a girl and doesn't have anything else anchoring him to Auburn. 

Or maybe he had a reasonable expectation all the way until the depth chart was released that he would be a real factor in the rotation. That was only a couple weeks ago. Maybe he made the decision last week or even before that and wanted to wait until after the game to announce it out of respect for the team and the staff. 

Kid busted his ass for Auburn and, until we hear otherwise, was a good person off the field. He obviously loved it here and this was not how he wanted it to go. Best wishes, John, and thanks for choosing Auburn. Looking forward to seeing you land in a better situation.

@McLoofus, fully agree. Real people growing into adulthood. It’s not always perfect or clean. I hope he finds the opportunity he wants. 

As for Auburn, I’m pretty comfortable with Peters as the backup Nickel, Tutt/Leonard as the backup CBs, and McCreary as a fifth CB. Heck, Peters looked great last week against an All-American level QB, and I thought Leonard was the better player last season. If Tutt is ahead of him, I’m even more comfortable. 

Archived