Rankings Talk

DAG

After 1 week and most Power 5 schools playing Powder Puff teams there is no way to gauge where any team should be.  It is at least the 5th or 6th game of the season before any poll has any legitimacy. Just looking at it from an Auburn perspective if Washington starts to run the Table in Pac 10 then our win means a lot (I think it will) but if they lose a couple games then we are not quite as good as we thought but still have the talent to get as  good as we thought. I watched the LSU game while they won I was not that impressed I think the opponent Miami was that bad.   Also Power 5 teams that had bad games against people like Appy State may not be as bad as they looked in game 1 next couple of games will see if it was 1st game issues or if teams really have issues.

Ole Miss and Miss State looked better than I thought they would but again that might be the opponent.  Auburn needs to go into Georgia game undefeated and by the time we finish the regular season we need to be undefeated or at worse a 1 loss team that beat either Georgia or bama. We do that and the polls will take care of themselves.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Pleasantly surprised that 8th was the lowest anyone ranked us. Usually a hater or three

yep..….all we have to do is keep winning and the rest will take care of each other for the most part. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

yep..….all we have to do is keep winning and the rest will take care of each other for the most part. 

For sure! It’s nice to know there are no outliers...yet. Theoretically means when we have an easy game and win we should be more likely to move up a spot than down

Miami is traditionally worshipped by sports media but has looked particularly inept since early last November so LSU being treated like royalty after punking them on a neutral site may be a CYA for media that nevertheless predictably started the Fighting Ibis's in the top 10.

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Miami is traditionally worshipped by sports media but has looked particularly inept since early last November so LSU being treated like royalty after punking them on a neutral site may be a CYA for media that nevertheless predictably started the Fighting Ibis's in the top 10.

I personally hope they continue to sing the praises of LSU.....”O is the next coming of Saban, best defense in the land, finally have a great quarterback, etc” .  There is s thread on the LSU board  titled something like “burrow better than stidham”.....we seem to do better in these types of situations than if we are suppose to win easily or at all.   

The data early in the season starts with mostly preseason data and then as the weeks go on in season data is added until around week 4 or 5 the preseason data is all gone. So, this is still a lot of preseason stuff plus very small amounts on in-season data. Still, a lot of changes for some teams from the original preseason rankings (LSU moved up 15-20 spots I believe).

Football Outsiders - 2018 NCAA S&P+ Stats

OVERALL
1. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Mississippi State
7. Auburn
9. LSU
19. Florida
21. Texas A&M
25. Ole Miss
28. Missouri
30. South Carolina
41. Arkansas
42. Vanderbilt
63. Kentucky
104. Tennessee

OFFENSE
6. Ole Miss
9. Alabama
10. Missouri
13. Mississippi State
18. Georgia
36. South Carolina
37. Tennessee
38. Florida
41. Auburn
48. Texas A&M
55. Arkansas
66. Vanderbilt
83. LSU
100. Kentucky

DEFENSE
1. LSU
10. Auburn
11. Alabama
19. Georgia
26. Texas A&M
28. Mississippi State
29. Florida
32. Kentucky
43. Vanderbilt
44. South Carolina
52. Arkansas
80. Missouri
82. Ole Miss
121. Tennessee

This post was edited on 9/4 at 4:59 pm

Changes from Preseason to Week 1

Vanderbilt +37
Florida +14
LSU +6
Ole Miss +3
Missouri +3
Alabama +2
Texas A&M +2
Auburn -1
Kentucky +1
Georgia (0)
South Carolina -1
Arkansas -1
Tennessee -34

18 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I am liking Brett McMurphy more every day.  All we need is the 2nd part of the incriminating evidence on Urban Lyar.  It usually always comes at some point.

On 9/4/2018 at 1:45 PM, DAG said:

LSU arguably could be in the top ten once the AP Poll comes out . Wow.

I really do not see LSU moving into the top 10. They played a Miami team that has now lost 4 in a row. We played a far superior opponent than LSU without a doubt. I am not buying into LSU being a top SEC team this season yet. I think if we had play Miami, we would likely have seen a score in the 45-10 range or worse. Miami imho will wind up being a 7-5 team this season.  If LSU had played Washington, UW would have beaten them by at least 10-14 points or more.

I think in 2 weeks, we will expose LSU's weaknesses of which a weaker Miami had no real chance of doing this. Folks are forgetting that Miami won the 2nd half 14-6. I think we will take care of business in 2 weeks against LSU.  LSU ran a new offense that Miami had no real idea of what to expect. Ensminger is not an OC that I would want Auburn to have. We had a dose of Nallsminger back in Tubs last days and we all know how that resulted. LSU will give us a good game, but I think our Defense will expose what Miami had no real way of doing. Just thoughts from the Doc!

WDE & kick some corn-dog fanny!

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

https://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

AU drops to #9 in this weeks AP poll. Really surprised we’re still in the top 10. Might not have dropped too terribly far among public perception. 

Which is why I despise the "Auburn gets no respect" thread.  We're consistently given every opportunity to be ranked highly and thought of well by voters.  Last year, we were #2 in the playoff poll with two losses.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Which is why I despise the "Auburn gets no respect" thread.  We're consistently given every opportunity to be ranked highly and thought of well by voters.  Last year, we were #2 in the playoff poll with two losses.

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5b9ea4bc6e7345486b

15 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

AU drops to #9 in this weeks AP poll. Really surprised we’re still in the top 10. Might not have dropped too terribly far among public perception. 

Lost by a GW fg to another top ten quality opponent. I will take it. ND barely beat Vandy at home and is in the top ten so it makes sense.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'm not, no way Auburn would drop out of the top 10 if there was any reality in the poll. We don't have any room for error however. Next loss will drop us at least 10 spots

22 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

I'm not, no way Auburn would drop out of the top 10 if there was any reality in the poll. We don't have any room for error however. Next loss will drop us at least 10 spots

I agree- I said this earlier that we aren’t out of anything yet.... but whatever security blanket we had for our tough schedule is gone now. Time to get serious. 

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

i doubt that we will have to worry about rankings in a month or so

Agree. Unless we get significantly better rankings will not matter at years end. Our schedule is not ideal for developing an OL and shielding a secondary.

Archived