Hurts and Tua: a tale of deceit and betrayal

Zeek

14 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

No. The controversy started way back in the spring and it's about the WAY it was handled, or to be more precise...not handled/avoided.... by the nickatator. I'm pretty sure Hurts was not going to be the starter once Tua got to bammer.

I don't agree that it was poorly handled - maybe not perfectly handled, but there isn't a perfect way to handle this. If Hurts would have transferred in the spring, the same people would be criticizing Saban for throwing a 26-2 quarterback to the curb based on one half of a football game. Let's not forget that Hurts is a well-liked and well-respected player and leader on that football team. What does it communicate to the rest of the players if it doesn't appear that Hurts is getting a fair shot at the job? What does it communicate if Saban approaches Hurts after the National Championship Game and tells him "you have no future here". Are you telling me that the same people wouldn't be demonizing Saban in that scenario? 

Moreover, none of this accounts for Jalen's own statements in which he stated under no circumstances would he be leaving.

In my opinion, the most interesting part of this story is yet to come. How will Saban handle Jalen throughout the rest of this season?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim Tebo just speculated on SEC network's gameday broadcast that if Hurts transfers, Auburn may take him.  Where does this come from?  Not a chance in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Shift said:

Tim Tebo just speculated on SEC network's gameday broadcast that if Hurts transfers, Auburn may take him.  Where does this come from?  Not a chance in my opinion.

News to me but I wouldn't mind Hurts at all if AU runs a 2013 style Offense.  He'd probably excel in that O.  However, not sure how good he'd be in the current O....

On 9/7/2018 at 2:05 PM, Barnacle said:

I don't agree that it was poorly handled - maybe not perfectly handled, but there isn't a perfect way to handle this. If Hurts would have transferred in the spring, the same people would be criticizing Saban for throwing a 26-2 quarterback to the curb based on one half of a football game. Let's not forget that Hurts is a well-liked and well-respected player and leader on that football team. What does it communicate to the rest of the players if it doesn't appear that Hurts is getting a fair shot at the job? What does it communicate if Saban approaches Hurts after the National Championship Game and tells him "you have no future here". Are you telling me that the same people wouldn't be demonizing Saban in that scenario? 

Moreover, none of this accounts for Jalen's own statements in which he stated under no circumstances would he be leaving.

In my opinion, the most interesting part of this story is yet to come. How will Saban handle Jalen throughout the rest of this season?

Hurts is not leaving because he graduates in December. That's what he said, and it is the correct decision to complete his degree before leaving. He's not reckless. Just because lil' nickster didn't publicize his plan or say anything to his team doesn't mean it wasn't there all along. You discount his prior actions with other players. Kiffen had an opinion,based on his own experience at bammer, about how nickster would handle it, and I bet the other bammer coaches knew a little something too. This particular situation has just been more public because Tua played in that one big game and JH suspected the writing was on the wall even if his coach wouldn't be honest with him about it. The media speculation turned it into a big publicity thing for nickster but he will salvage it and make himself look better than Santa Claus. That's already started,in fact. In the meantime Jalen is actually the one who was put in a bad, no-win position. He's playing today against a team that clearly is no threat....so that's 2 games down out of the 4 already. Tua is the actual golden boy and Jalen is the stepchild that has to be managed to keep the team morale intact, and prevent disaster should Tua go down. 

The nickster has been digging around for a big time, star power QB1 since Cam Newton showed him what one looked like. AJ McCarron was not even close.  Then nickster thought Jalen was The One but he's not quite the second coming of Cam either. Enter Tua. Now nickster sees his chance and he will do everything he can to make Tua the bammer version of a star. 

Don't know what to post this so will do it here.

Before the start of the bama game,  SEC camera caught Tua as he was walking along the sidelines shaking hands with fans, kids, recruits, even signing autographs...….and when camera cut back to the SEC network guys the look on Chiz's face was priceless …...hope someone got a snap of that...….even his buddies commented about it....total disdain ….

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

The so called QB controversy will end up working well for both QBs, and the team as a whole. Thread title is clickbait.

Agree 100% - both QB's will get plenty of PT and exposure this season, enough to satisfy those ego's.  A coach with two weapons of that caliber would have to be stupid as hell not to do everything in his power to keep them both happy all season.  That 1st yr OC (Locksley?) has to be licking his chops when he draws up that weekly game plan, he's got the easiest job in this conference by far.

Once bama moved an entire family from Hawaii to Alabama, the deal was cemented.  No way bama (Saban) is going to piss off that family that they have “heavily inve$ted in”.  Baby brother is being groomed at a bama pipeline high school, and will take over when Tua leaves.

The only reason Hurts is still there is because Saban had to have a serviceable backup.

19 hours ago, eulessau said:

Once bama moved an entire family from Hawaii to Alabama, the deal was cemented.  No way bama (Saban) is going to piss off that family that they have “heavily inve$ted in”.  Baby brother is being groomed at a bama pipeline high school, and will take over when Tua leaves.

The only reason Hurts is still there is because Saban had to have a serviceable backup.

Hurts has two more games to protect his red shirt option...…so will he still be dressed out when bama plays game #5?  

On 9/4/2018 at 8:57 PM, Gowebb11 said:

What’s forgotten by most is that as a true freshman Hurts was hailed as a sure fire multiple Heisman winner, just like Tua is now. There were times I thought Gary Danielson would leave his wife for him. Now Tide Nation has thumped him aside for their newest hero.

Seriously. I just rewatched last year's Iron Bowl and the announcer (I think it was Danielson, but could be wrong) kept calling Hurts Cam Newton. Multiple times during the game they were praising his 26-1 record or (whatever it was) and saying that Auburn is going to have a difficult time stopping Hurts because he is basically Cam Newton back there...

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Hurts is going to continue playing and won’t redshirt.

Good for bama….. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good for bama….. 

I think Mcleroy specifically said Saban would not respect his redshirt wishes.” Basically, “if you want a ring, you’re going to be a part of it or leave.”

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I think Mcleroy specifically said Saban would not respect his redshirt wishes.” Basically, “if you want a ring, you’re going to be a part of it or leave.”

I can see that and agree with Saban....especially if there was some implied plan (from his dad) for him  to leave the team at the end of the year.    He did not get much meaningful playing time this past week...but with mostly pushovers on the schedule there is no reason for him not to get time on the field although by the time he is in the game, he's probably gonna mostly get Willis -like play calls such as he did against the aggies. 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I can see that and agree with Saban....especially if there was some implied plan (from his dad) for him  to leave the team at the end of the year.    He did not get much meaningful playing time this past week...but with mostly pushovers on the schedule there is no reason for him not to get time on the field although by the time he is in the game, he's probably gonna mostly get Willis -like play calls such as he did against the aggies. 

Tua hasn’t played past the third quarter all year and that won’t change until maybe week 8. Hurts actually runs the offense in garbage time though and he should because he’s a veteran that’s already played in big games. He throws a handful of attempts a game. It’s weird that he doesn’t look as dynamic as he used to though. He looks like a pedestrian QB compared to Tua. Doesn’t even  get a lot of big running plays any more. I wonder if he’s lost some confidence.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Tua hasn’t played past the third quarter all year and that won’t change until maybe week 8. Hurts actually runs the offense in garbage time though and he should because he’s a veteran that’s already played in big games. He throws a handful of attempts a game. It’s weird that he doesn’t look as dynamic as he used to though. He looks like a pedestrian QB compared to Tua. Doesn’t even  get a lot of big running plays any more. I wonder if he’s lost some confidence.

Maybe lost his enthusiasm.....bet it is hard for a guy like him who started so many big games to get excited about playing when the team is up by 28 and they are mostly making vanilla play calls with second team players.   

56 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Exactly how Saban handled it, and he let Hurts daddy know before the season started.  He told them he was playing Jalen every game and he’d be a team player, help be a leader, split practice reps 50/50 and he’d again compete for a championship.  He can either take the training under Dan Enos, get better, show his skills when given the opportunity on one of the most analyzed, highlighted teams, do his part on a championship level team or he can leave.  But Saban was not going to alter the plan he had for his team and their success all because his 26-2 QB chose to use the leverage of red-shirting and leaving.

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Exactly how Saban handled it, and he let Hurts daddy know before the season started.  He told them he was playing Jalen every game and he’d be a team player, help be a leader, split practice reps 50/50 and he’d again compete for a championship.  He can either take the training under Dan Enos, get better, show his skills when given the opportunity on one of the most analyzed, highlighted teams, do his part on a championship level team or he can leave.  But Saban was not going to alter the plan he had for his team and their success all because his 26-2 QB chose to use the leverage of red-shirting and leaving.

That’s exactly right. You’ve been dead on lately about what’s going on in West Vance.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s exactly right. You’ve been dead on lately about what’s going on in West Vance.

I got a Buddy works in the barber shop over there. ?

Archived