Devan Barrett

Swamp Eagle

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Rudy Ford 2.0?

I wouldn't mind. This kid seems willing to do what it takes to see the field.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

He needs to do whatever it takes to get on the field. If it’s defense then so be it.

I am just not sold on any RB we have so far. I haven’t eliminated any either. Including #5. Maybe the coaches eliminated him from rb......but WR we good there. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I am just not sold on any RB we have so far. I haven’t eliminated any either. Including #5. Maybe the coaches eliminated him from rb......but WR we good there. 

#5? Are you referring to Barrett? He's #10 on the roster. 

I have to imagine he's done for good at RB. Seems he would've moved back there instead of to DB if there were even the faintest glimmer of hope. 

Who knows, though. We are crazy young in the secondary after this year and he might be able to get a leg up on the 2019 class if he gets started now. 

Did he play any DB in high school, I wonder?

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

#5? Are you referring to Barrett? He's #10 on the roster. 

I have to imagine he's done for good at RB. Seems he would've moved back there instead of to DB if there were even the faintest glimmer of hope. 

Who knows, though. We are crazy young in the secondary after this year and he might be able to get a leg up on the 2019 class if he gets started now. 

Did he play any DB in high school, I wonder?

seemed like he was #5 last year?

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I believe you're right.

Probably changed numbers...

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

22 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I believe you're right.

Probably changed numbers...

My bad/that's right/thankya

Gus Malzahn will make his weekly appearance on the Tiger Talk radio show this evening at approximately 6 p.m. to preview Auburn's home opener against FCS Alabama State.

Tonight's show will be Malzahn's final media appearance before Saturday's matchup, which kicks off at 6:30 p.m. in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Below is a recap of Malzahn's segments on Tiger Talk, which were broadcast on these affiliates and streamed online at AuburnTigers.com.

GUS MALZAHN

-- First on the Washington win: Sometimes it's how you win.... It was a very quality win. 

-- Both defenses were outstanding in Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Malzahn and Auburn "have a lot of respect" for Washington.

-- Malzahn was most pleased with the manner that his team won, and the fact the Tigers pulled out a close game. Penalties were a negative, obviously.

-- First question from Kim: ASU gave up 273 rushing yards last weekend. Does that give Auburn a chance to run well?

Malzahn: "It's more about us.... We'll grow each game, and it's really more about us. We know for us to be as good as we need to be, we need to run the ball effectively and pass."

-- Offensive line is different than any other position; need five guys working together as one unit. "That group will improve."

-- Calls SEC the "best conference in college football. You got to bring your lunch every week.... At the end of the year, you're battle-tested."

-- Question from Herb: Going to do situational punters or stick with most consistent?

"Right now, they're in a competition. The good thing is we got two quality guys." Says situational punter usage "is a possibility."

-- On Anders Carlson's debut: "Kicking the ball in the back of the end zone is huge. That was his first time, but we know he's talented.... Really happy." Says Carlson told him before the game he would drill them from 56 or 57 yards on either side of the field.

-- How to stay locked in after big win? "You got to have great leadership. It was a big, emotional win, but the championship teams, it doesn't matter.... It's a challenge to our leaders, and really I expect us to come out and play good football."

-- Goal in Week 2 is to be better than Week 1. "That's our challenge." Says team has had a good week of practice, players are locked in.

-- On Nick Coe and Darrell Williams: "They're both well-deserving (of SEC honors).... Nick just made a lot of really good plays.... It was a great defensive effort overall, but those two guys led the way."

-- Defensive front "played a really good game" especially considering it went against a running back that has rushed for 1,300 yards each of the last three seasons. Also contained quarterback well.

-- Washington went after Noah Igbinoghene in his first game at corner, but he stood his ground well.

-- Correcting penalties but not dwelling on them? "There's not a lot of balance. Correct them is what you do. There's not a lot of discussion with that." Has no doubt Auburn will do better from a penalty standpoint in the future.

-- Why go for 2-point conversion after first touchdown vs. Washington: "Sometimes you just want to set the tone of the game.... We have an aggressive mindset. We've been talking to our team all offseason that, hey, as coaches, we want to be aggressive."

-- How much does RB size matter when recruiting/gameplanning: "It depends. I think there's great strength in running backs being different.... Yeah, you take into account their size and speed.... You just try to play to each one of your running backs' strengths."

-- On JaTarvious Whitlow's touchdown: Decided at halftime they needed to run the football in the red zone when Washington dropped seven or eight men into coverage.

-- See Shaun Shivers and Asa Martin more on Saturday? It's a possibility. "Both those guys will definitely help us this year.... They're both talented and they're both going to be really good running backs."

-- Offensive line play late vs. Washington was huge. "They played their best ball the last drive, then we're trying to put the game away" and they get the first down to seal it.

-- Any trick plays (some "razzle dazzle") this week? "I'll ask Coach Lindsey about that.... We'll see. We'll see."

-- Chip Lindsey "is an aggressive guy," so expect some trick plays throughout the year. There's specific ones they will run, but others will depend on the situation.

-- On Devan Barrett: "Devan had a chance to help us at defensive back too.... He's a real versatile guy. We'll see how that goes."

-- Has Allen Greene worked out a series with his alma mater, Notre Dame? "We'll see where that goes."

-- Key areas to improve against Alabama State: Penalties, execution -- "the little things" -- and getting better at finding team's identity.

-- Keys to the game: Wants to avoid putting the ball on the ground offensively, continue to improve defensively and improve on special teams.

Unexpected move for me at least.....guess Shivers is taking the role he was playing .....and with Stove and Hastings back soon we must be over-populated in those quasi running back positions. 

19 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Man i really like barrett at rb. Thought maybe he could be a darren sproles role type

I’d say Shivers is more in the mold of Darren Sproles than Barret (though we may think of him that way because he was a pass threat out of the backfield), though I’d say Worm may have better top end speed than Sproles. Not arguing for the sake of it; just my observation, thus far. 

15 hours ago, corchjay said:

Barrett was 5 but D. Brown is 5 as well... So can't have duplicate numbers on the field at the same.  Especially if they are on defense together.  

Excellent point. 

12 hours ago, aublaise said:

A really optimistic way to look at that comment is that it's more about Devan actually being an asset there than just trying to fit in a good athlete somewhere. 

11 hours ago, EclecticTiger said:

I’d say Shivers is more in the mold of Darren Sproles than Barret (though we may think of him that way because he was a pass threat out of the backfield), though I’d say Worm may have better top end speed. Not arguing for the sake of it; just my observation, thus far. 

100%. One of the main reasons Barrett moved, if I understand correctly, is that he never really filled in and still has a somewhat slight frame. Shivers is much more compact, so even though he's "smaller", he's much better constructed for running the ball between the tackles. Just like Sproles. And if you watched Sproles last night, it was a good reminder that he packs a punch. That combo of burst and thickness at any height is problematic for tacklers. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Excellent point. 

A really optimistic way to look at that comment is that it's more about Devan actually being an asset there than just trying to fit in a good athlete somewhere. 

100%. One of the main reasons Barrett moved, if I understand correctly, is that he never really filled in and still has a somewhat slight frame. Shivers is much more compact, so even though he's "smaller", he's much better constructed for running the ball between the tackles. Just like Sproles. And if you watched Sproles last night, it was a good reminder that he packs a punch. That combo of burst and thickness at any height is problematic for tacklers. 

100% in agreement on every point you mention.

I just have a feeling about Worm, and the logic and facts are there to support it. So, you can count me as a passenger on the “Worm Wagon”. Giddy-up, boys and girls!

11 minutes ago, EclecticTiger said:

100% in agreement on every point you mention.

I just have a feeling about Worm, and the logic and facts are there to support it. So, you can count me as a passenger on the “Worm Wagon”. Giddy-up, boys and girls!

Worm Wagon!  Git'on board!!

the-inchwork-model-73_1.jpg

Archived