Null



Swamp Eagle

Devan Barrett

Recommended Posts





32 minutes ago, EclecticTiger said:

100% in agreement on every point you mention.

I just have a feeling about Worm, and the logic and facts are there to support it. So, you can count me as a passenger on the “Worm Wagon”. Giddy-up, boys and girls!

Exactly. This isn't a case of the plucky underdog pulling at our heartstrings. Dude is a  b e a s t.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I don't like it. This dude obviously has talent or we wouldn't have been playing him so early. If he was my kid I wouldn't be too happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

To be honest I don't like it. This dude obviously has talent or we wouldn't have been playing him so early. If he was my kid I wouldn't be too happy

Wait a minute.....so if some new guys come in who are better, he should still get playing time?    

He has talent but also, we had a talent shortage in his position which is why he was playing.   College football is a tough business as you know.....and can't see blaming coaches for giving him a chance to play and show what he can do....he should be thankful for the opportunity to play.....and for a mostly free college education. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cole256 said:

To be honest I don't like it. This dude obviously has talent or we wouldn't have been playing him so early. If he was my kid I wouldn't be too happy

He played a good bit of DB his sophomore and junior seasons in HS. If he was my kid, I'd encourage him to give the position change his 110%....better opportunity for playing time and better prospects of an NFL career.

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Wait a minute.....so if some new guys come in who are better, he should still get playing time?    

He has talent but also, we had a talent shortage in his position which is why he was playing.   College football is a tough business as you know.....and can't see blaming coaches for giving him a chance to play and show what he can do....he should be thankful for the opportunity to play.....and for a mostly free college education. 

No, sooner or later you have to understand a free education isn't anything he a highly recruited athlete has to be thankful about, thank God for the ability but nobody at a school did any favors. He had 50 other schools he could've went to, some with better academic programs at that. 

And I know to you every decision a coach makes is right but I don't. You can't know just like I can't if if the other guys are better or not, you can assume it I guess. If coaches can't identify a position to play coaches are messing up imo, he's already sacrificed for the team when are the coaches going to sacrifice for him? You don't have those types of offers and literally can't play the position. Imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

He played a good bit of DB his sophomore and junior seasons in HS. If he was my kid, I'd encourage him to give the position change his 110%....better opportunity for playing time and better prospects of an NFL career.

Yeah if the kid wants to but if he's being made to play these other positions...nah we can find another place to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah if the kid wants to but if he's being made to play these other positions...nah we can find another place to go

He got beat out and the coaches are putting him in a situation where he has a better chance to succeed. Why try to make that into some sort of evil plan? Now, I'm pretty sure if he says he wants to stay at RB even though he'll never see the field, they would oblige him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He got beat out and the coaches are putting him in a situation where he has a better chance to succeed. Why try to make that into some sort of evil plan? Now, I'm pretty sure if he says he wants to stay at RB even though he'll never see the field, they would oblige him.

We have had players before that we played at positions that weren't their best positions so I'm speaking on that. I have said it and imo when I wrote my posts to avoid this, you are entitled to believe what you want, but you don't know just like I don't. Any way though a kid that highly rated and offers from that many top programs, even you have to admit that's somewhat odd. Unless I'm thinking about another player. But hey if it's what he wants of course he should do what his heart tells him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cole256 said:

To be honest I don't like it. This dude obviously has talent or we wouldn't have been playing him so early. If he was my kid I wouldn't be too happy

He was also recruited by some schools as a dB if I’m not mistaken, so he might be another iggy! Maybe that’s what the coach, and fans, might believe is his best shot! So to me they are letting him play. Even played in last weeks game and made a tackle I think. I don’t see your logic in the point you made.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toddc said:

He was also recruited by some schools as a dB if I’m not mistaken, so he might be another iggy! Maybe that’s what the coach, and fans, might believe is his best shot! So to me they are letting him play. Even played in last weeks game and made a tackle I think. I don’t see your logic in the point you made.

No you see my logic but you don't agree with it. Or if you don't see it just think everything opposite of what you just wrote. And btw, as far as what the fans think.....that means NOTHING. Fans are fickle. Coaches can tell most fans anything and the fans will buy it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for Cole...what players do you think do you think were played out of position in the past against  there will? (Not saying you used those terms) Imo most athletes would change positions if it meant a better chance at pt.

Also, DB signed with AU. He wasnt forced to do that, seems reasonable to think he would be a team player and embrace the move as well. And if it helps the team and player = win/win

An elementary eval of any players agility, speed, hands, ball awareness, and possibly even running vison can be compared to a sample size from Week 1. The Coaching staff has the opp to see this 1st hand everyday too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AUallday said:

Question for Cole...what players do you think do you think were played out of position in the past against  there will? (Not saying you used those terms) Imo most athletes would change positions if it meant a better chance at pt.

Also, DB signed with AU. He wasnt forced to do that, seems reasonable to think he would be a team player and embrace the move as well. And if it helps the team and player = win/win

An elementary eval of any players agility, speed, hands, ball awareness, and possibly even running vison can be compared to a sample size from Week 1. The Coaching staff has the opp to see this 1st hand everyday too.

Against their will? I can't say against their will because I wouldn't know definitely know that. I think coaches can coax though. Players that played out of position? Pettway when he first came, Rudy Ford, Reed, it's somebody I can't think of but it was somebody that would've been a better safety than what he was playing. But the against their will stuff wasn't brought up by me. Reed is actually the best example of how it can mess you up. But sometimes it turns out for the best. You never know, if it was me I'd prefer not to risk it

 

Also another thing I do know is moving this guy around alot doesn't help him at all. This is big boy ball you can't just move from position to position and expect to be great

Yes he signed to Auburn and they probably told him he was playing running back....if they had said he was playing somewhere else he may or may not have signed here. 

I don't really understand what you are trying to say in your last paragraph

Edited by cole256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Against their will? I can't say against their will because I wouldn't know definitely know that. I think coaches can coax though. Players that played out of position? Pettway when he first came, Rudy Ford, Reed, it's somebody I can't think of but it was somebody that would've been a better safety than what he was playing. But the against their will stuff wasn't brought up by me. Reed is actually the best example of how it can mess you up. But sometimes it turns out for the best. You never know, if it was me I'd prefer not to risk it

 

Also another thing I do know is moving this guy around alot doesn't help him at all. This is big boy ball you can't just move from position to position and expect to be great

Yes he signed to Auburn and they probably told him he was playing running back....if they had said he was playing somewhere else he may or may not have signed here. 

I don't really understand what you are trying to say in your last paragraph

Was Therezie or Holsey the other one you couldn’t remember? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Was Therezie or Holsey the other one you couldn’t remember? 

Therezie is one but I feel like one I'm thinking in my mind was playing offense for some reason? I could be wrong though, but I was thinking an offense guy that I really wished they had put him at safety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cole256 said:

Any way though a kid that highly rated and offers from that many top programs, even you have to admit that's somewhat odd.

There's nothing odd about it. There have been much higher rated prospects, many 5* types, that fail to make it in college at any position. We read about them every season. Barrett is lucky he's at a school that will offer him the option to try another position. A lot of places would run him off to make room for the next hot prospect.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cole256 said:

 

Therezie is one but I feel like one I'm thinking in my mind was playing offense for some reason? I could be wrong though, but I was thinking an offense guy that I really wished they had put him at safety

Kiehl Frazier (QB -> Safety)?

Although, he asked for the move.

Edited by yngwie1995

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give it time. If he looks good at Db everyone will be saying what a good move it was. If he transfers or never plays it will be all the coaches fault. If he is in the NFL one day as a db he probably will not complain. To early to tell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildlife alumni said:

Give it time. If he looks good at Db everyone will be saying what a good move it was. If he transfers or never plays it will be all the coaches fault. If he is in the NFL one day as a db he probably will not complain. To early to tell.

I take it your yellow sarcasm button is broken.  

Sounds like we are headed down that familiar road where fans who see a guy play in HS, or maybe not...and only see him play a couple plays a game....yet they know more than the coaches about who are the better players.   

I know nothing about him personally but it was good to see him get his chances to earn playing time on offense.....and hoping he is able to do the same as a DB but no point in having sitting the bench behind 5 other guys.   So get him on defense, and let him play some special teams where we sure have needed help in recent years.     JMO but his NFL chances are probably close to zero so I'm hoping he can make the most of and have fun with his time at AU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah if the kid wants to but if he's being made to play these other positions...nah we can find another place to go

By all accounts Barrett was open to the idea and willing to help the team.

 

Regarding the bolded portion, talking in general terms not specifically Devan - a little self-awareness goes a long ways....there might be some external extenuating circumstances but it may very well be that dad and player aren't quite the decision maker(s) they think they are, as evidenced by the recruiting process.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cole256 said:

 

Therezie is one but I feel like one I'm thinking in my mind was playing offense for some reason? I could be wrong though, but I was thinking an offense guy that I really wished they had put him at safety

Trovon Reed maybe? He moved to DB way too late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

There's nothing odd about it. There have been much higher rated prospects, many 5* types, that fail to make it in college at any position. We read about them every season. Barrett is lucky he's at a school that will offer him the option to try another position. A lot of places would run him off to make room for the next hot prospect.

....or play media games and supposedly tell him one thing *COUGH*saban/hurts*COUGH* so that he won't transfer but waste his time hoping for something that obviously won't happen.

One of Gus' biggest strengths IMO is that, though he doesn't freely share with the media, it appears he's straight up with his players.

To my knowledge, even dismissed players don't have bad things to say about Gus or they're treatment. ... could be wrong, of course.

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean you guys are still at a point where you can't talk about different ideas without you getting offended as if you were on the coaching staff or better yet an entity of Auburn that was personified? I originally wrote if it was my kid I wouldn't be happy and the very next post was....he should be honored that Auburn let him walk on campus and the coaches shouldn't ever be blamed. I wasn't blaming any coaches or making some "evil" plan for Auburn

I'm offering a perspective of your son has played things game since he was little. Always excelled, everybody in the COUNTRY wants the kid and when he goes to college he was good enough that they decided not to redshirt him, then all of a sudden out of the blue he's changed positions twice.....so you guys aren't concerned at all? You don't even talk about it? It's just Auburn knows best for my child....really?

If somebody from auburn said send me the first born of each gender for sacrifice for the prosperity of Auburn I'm convinced a few of you would gladly do as you're told

I'm sorry for stating the obvious. War Damn Eagle!

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at that post, whew! Oh how lucky we are! We've been blessed by the omniscient being @cole256:rolleyes:

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now