Devan Barrett

Swamp Eagle

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

I would feel the same way if it were my kid.

Yet not one person has one word to say ? I guess they know who to try and who not to. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know which position would be the best for DB and over the years the coach's have moved players and it has worked out and they have moved players and it has not worked out. There are players they probably should have moved and didn't. Cole has a legitimate point about moving players the coaches are not all knowing and they are doing what they think is best for the team not necessarily what is best for the player. 

There is legitimacy on both sides of this argument a lot of players who are extremely athletic could play multiple positions and be good sometimes because of the talent at one position they won't get a chance at that position so they have a few choices remain in that position hoping to get PT in future, switch position hoping to get PT, or transferring.  The one advantage coach's have in making this type decision is they see the players in practice everyday and that MIGHT help them in the decision making process. 

There is no doubt in my mind that sometimes the decision to move a player has helped the player and other times it has hurt the player. As Cole initially mentioned he doesn't know for sure. Neither do the coach's, fans or even the player themselves know for sure if the move will be positive or negative.

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't know which position would be the best for DB and over the years the coach's have moved players and it has worked out and they have moved players and it has not worked out. There are players they probably should have moved and didn't. Cole has a legitimate point about moving players the coaches are not all knowing and they are doing what they think is best for the team not necessarily what is best for the player. 

There is legitimacy on both sides of this argument a lot of players who are extremely athletic could play multiple positions and be good sometimes because of the talent at one position they won't get a chance at that position so they have a few choices remain in that position hoping to get PT in future, switch position hoping to get PT, or transferring.  The one advantage coach's have in making this type decision is they see the players in practice everyday and that MIGHT help them in the decision making process. 

There is no doubt in my mind that sometimes the decision to move a player has helped the player and other times it has hurt the player. As Cole initially mentioned he doesn't know for sure. Neither do the coach's, fans or even the player themselves know for sure if the move will be positive or negative.

Nice post.

24 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Thanks man. How bout we start a system I tell you what I think then you post it and after a day we say surprise this was actually Cole!! If you and @bigbird would do that the servers would go down from everybody taking likes back and changing them to face palms!

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Thanks man. How bout we start a system I tell you what I think then you post it and after a day we say surprise this was actually Cole!! If you and @bigbird would do that the servers would go down from everybody taking likes back and changing them to face palms!

I already use enough of your stuff to boost my like count. ?

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Your welcome. Cole I back you when I agree with you and I disagree with you when I disagree with you same as any other poster. I agree with you more often than not. One big difference between you and me when somebody disagrees with me I usually reply once maybe twice with my opinion than I quit replying. I have made my point others than can judge. It isn't important to me who replies last. By having a short stopping point I believe it cuts down on the animosity that sometimes happens when you keep arguing with people who disagree with you. Your initial argument and response were good no more is needed. By the way that goes for the people who argue with you also.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I already use enough of your stuff to boost my like count. ?

Lol I don't even get mad. I'm like Yes I know they really liked it ?

Here's the deal, some people come across as abrasive on a message board with their writing styles and that's just how it is. I don't vehemently disagree with Cole's POV regarding position changes and transfer, matter of fact, I just opened dialogue about player self-awareness, but I took exception with his I mean you guys are still at a point where you can't talk about different ideas without you getting offended  type comments. That's nothing new.

I've been around this place for quite awhile and been in/seen my share of arguments. It's not the end of the world if we go at each other. 

We can pound it out and carry on...what say you @cole256?

14 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Your welcome. Cole I back you when I agree with you and I disagree with you when I disagree with you same as any other poster. I agree with you more often than not. One big difference between you and me when somebody disagrees with me I usually reply once maybe twice with my opinion than I quit replying. I have made my point others than can judge. It isn't important to me who replies last. By having a short stopping point I believe it cuts down on the animosity that sometimes happens when you keep arguing with people who disagree with you. Your initial argument and response were good no more is needed. By the way that goes for the people who argue with you also.

Somebody else told me the same. I'm going to try it from now on. It may be hard for me at first but you're right it's best for everybody. I really don't want to mess up the board for other people. I just like talking football

10 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Here's the deal, some people come across as abrasive on a message board with their writing styles and that's just how it is. I don't vehemently disagree with Cole's POV regarding position changes and transfer, matter of fact, I just opened dialogue about player self-awareness, but I took exception with his I mean you guys are still at a point where you can't talk about different ideas without you getting offended  type comments. That's nothing new.

I've been around this place for quite awhile and been in/seen my share of arguments. It's not the end of the world if we go at each other. 

We can pound it out and carry on...what say you @cole256?

Cool man I'm good, I usually try to do that but I'm finding out after my hiatus some people really took things to heart. I can argue with somebody in one post then take their side in another. It's only a few posters I took anything personal and they were unique stuff. As far as football it's all good. Look at the likes I was able to give ? , some people have groupies I have the hate Cole posse that guarantees at least 3 likes a post ?

Oh and the italics part that rubbed you the wrong way I was talking about the guys that had quoted me in the post, I wasn't meaning the board in general. That was my bad in being too vague. And even though I was saying that to Au64 I still feel we don't agree often but we're cool. Mikey....we're not to fond of each other but that's alright too

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just like talking football

If you need me to give you some talking points just let me know. :jump:

I guess a parent could be concerned and just my observation over the years but parents are not very objective about things like that and more likely that coaches know which players should be on the field.   AU and Gus seem to work hard to keep a player on the team and try to get him on the field in some capacity rather than banish him off to NW Alabama or somewhere like that if he does not prove successful in the position where he was recruited.     

And JMO but DB had about no chance of being an NFL running back so he should try to enjoy his career at AU and give the change his best effort.........which it seems he is doing.  I was happy to seem him get that scoop and score.....good awareness. 

Has DB spoken publicly on the subject and expressed his opinion/feelings on the matter?

Body language and effort that I witnessed last night struck me as a guy who is fine with it and ready & willing to play football and help the team.

Maybe his parents feel the same way too?  Either of them spoken out?

Just wondering if the message board battle is "for nothing"?  Mountains out of molehills & such...

War Eagle Y'all!

Teams in high school frequently have their best athletes at RB and QB.  We are somewhat thin at DB, and he has 5 guys in front of him at RB, even though I think he is a capable back.   Switch to DB makes perfect sense, both for the team, and for his own future. I hope he can make the transition.  And come on, even his initials are DB.

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Teams in high school frequently have their best athletes at RB and QB.  We are somewhat thin at DB, and he has 5 guys in front of him at RB, even though I think he is a capable back.   Switch to DB makes perfect sense, both for the team, and for his own future. I hope he can make the transition.  And come on, even his initials are DB.

Anybody that watched last night's game and has watched Barrett in the past knows the following: Barrett is, at best, 4th string at both RB and WR positions. He played with more bounce in his step as a DB last night than I've ever seen from him in previous games. It looks like this latest move benefits both the player and the team. If so, it's hard to argue with the results of the move.

16 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

With all the back & forth on DB's behalf earlier, I'm hoping that he answered some questions for any of us tonight.

Kid looked like a football player trying to help his team win some football.  Didn't look like he had any hard feelings nor did he look disappointed in his lot in life.

Dude played hard and contributed mightily in tonight's effort.  Looked to me like Defense & Special Teams agrees with him.

War Eagle Devan Barrett!

He's definitely embracing it

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Anybody that watched last night's game and has watched Barrett in the past knows the following: Barrett is, at best, 4th string at both RB and WR positions. He played with more bounce in his step as a DB last night than I've ever seen from him in previous games. It looks like this latest move benefits both the player and the team. If so, it's hard to argue with the results of the move.

I think most fans just feel they haven't seen enough of him to eliminate him from RB. I am not sold on any of our RBs so i am inclined to want as many as possible to choose from. But I realize that the coaches have seen a LOT of him and it led him to change positions 2x now.  i can't say how i'd feel if i were his dad but i don't think the coaches have secretly decided to ruin his career chances at rb to be a reserve db.

Tristan Davis was mentioned. He moved positions more than any player i ever remember.  But if i remember right he was injured for most of his career and they were just trying to find him a spot to get him on the field. 

9 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Has DB spoken publicly on the subject and expressed his opinion/feelings on the matter?

Body language and effort that I witnessed last night struck me as a guy who is fine with it and ready & willing to play football and help the team.

Maybe his parents feel the same way too?  Either of them spoken out?

Just wondering if the message board battle is "for nothing"?  Mountains out of molehills & such...

War Eagle Y'all!

The only reason there was a battle is because the don't ever question the coaches gang don't want it to be said that a person may not like the decision. 

Reality is nobody knows how good he is at hb because we didn't watch him play at it any substantial amount of time. Just because he doesn't sulk doesn't mean he loves the decision, it just means he was raised well. 

You also have to read the original statement. I said I wouldn't like it if it was my kid and a couple of other people agreed. There shouldn't be a battle. Nobody knows what the kid thought about the move. Only people that are trying to say they know how he feels are the people that don't want the thought a mistake can be made by the coaching staff. That's it.

You also have to remember these are the same guys who said roc Thomas wasn't good enough to play football because he wouldn't change positions....

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

I guess a parent could be concerned and just my observation over the years but parents are not very objective about things like that and more likely that coaches know which players should be on the field.   AU and Gus seem to work hard to keep a player on the team and try to get him on the field in some capacity rather than banish him off to NW Alabama or somewhere like that if he does not prove successful in the position where he was recruited.     

And JMO but DB had about no chance of being an NFL running back so he should try to enjoy his career at AU and give the change his best effort.........which it seems he is doing.  I was happy to seem him get that scoop and score.....good awareness. 

What players have ever been banished to NW Alabama? We've had players leave to other states, some went to the NFL. Actually even the guys from Florida st that was banished to NW Alabama went to the NFL. 

Oh btw he played special teams long before he made a position change....but some of you say you noticed a pep in his step once he was made the change ? or did that just sound good?

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh btw he played special teams long before he made a position change....but some of you say you noticed a pep in his step once he was made the change ? or did that just sound good?

FWIW, for my part, I didn't say pep in his step due to any change but my point is he don't appear to be feeling sorry for himself (at least on the field).  He was a beast when I saw him out there and that's merely props to him.

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The only reason there was a battle is because the don't ever question the coaches gang don't want it to be said that a person may not like the decision. 

Reality is nobody knows how good he is at hb because we didn't watch him play at it any substantial amount of time. Just because he doesn't sulk doesn't mean he loves the decision, it just means he was raised well. 

You also have to read the original statement. I said I wouldn't like it if it was my kid and a couple of other people agreed. There shouldn't be a battle. Nobody knows what the kid thought about the move. Only people that are trying to say they know how he feels are the people that don't want the thought a mistake can be made by the coaching staff. That's it.

You also have to remember these are the same guys who said roc Thomas wasn't good enough to play football because he wouldn't change positions....

Again, that's what I'm pointing out.  He may NOT like the move but I haven't heard him nor his parents nor anybody complaining publicly.  Again, props to him!

As for the "coaches do no wrong" crowd?  Yeah, I get that.  Been lumped in with the Gus Bashers plenty myself.  Somewhere, the truth is in the middle and unless the kid comes out and cries foul....then there ain't nothing to argue about.

As a parent I do know this: If my kid were clearly the 5th string RB, I'd be glad to see him moved to a position where he might see playing time. Apparently some here would prefer to see their kid play only in the A-Day game. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if A-day is what floats your boat.

Archived