Devan Barrett

Swamp Eagle

24 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Again, that's what I'm pointing out.  He may NOT like the move but I haven't heard him nor his parents nor anybody complaining publicly.  Again, props to him!

As for the "coaches do no wrong" crowd?  Yeah, I get that.  Been lumped in with the Gus Bashers plenty myself.  Somewhere, the truth is in the middle and unless the kid comes out and cries foul....then there ain't nothing to argue about.

That's my point where is there an argument? I said I wouldn't like it and I'd be asking questions. If you can't talk on a football forum where can you? I'm being a nice guy now, there was a point of time the sunshine crew knew better to try me, but because of my past now all you have to do is kick up some dust, blame it on Cole and you will have people backing you. But this isn't an argument. I said from the beginning I don't know how he feels

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

As a parent I do know this: If my kid were clearly the 5th string RB, I'd be glad to see him moved to a position where he might see playing time. Apparently some here would prefer to see their kid play only in the A-Day game. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if A-day is what floats your boat.

I probably shouldn't do this but I'm going to try.....so how do you know he was clearly the 5th string hb?

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I probably shouldn't do this but I'm going to try.....so how do you know he was clearly the 5th string hb?

I guess I should have said 6th string, because that's where he was.

RB's number one through five didn't get moved, so Barrett was #6 RB. That's from the perspective of the coaches, who know more about it than we do. From a fan's perspective, there were four RB's who showed more last night than we saw from Barrett all last year. The fifth, A-Mart, had a fumble and didn't go back in, so we didn't get to see him perform better than what we've seen from Barrett at RB. Hard to say how far down the list Barrett was at WR, there are too many positions to count. Suffice to say we've seen, in addition to returning players, any number of outstanding newcomers at the WR positions. Barrett did look good on defense, scored a TD and seemed more together than he's appeared in the past. This looks like a great move for both the player and the team.

Since you're doing all the griping, lets play "Cole's the Coach!" Listing RB's ~~~ K-Mart, Whitlow, Shivers, Joiner, A-Mart. Which of those do you move Barrett ahead of?

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I guess I should have said 6th string, because that's where he was.

RB's number one through five didn't get moved, so Barrett was #6 RB. That's from the perspective of the coaches, who know more about it than we do. From a fan's perspective, there were four RB's who showed more last night than we saw from Barrett all last year. The fifth, A-Mart, had a fumble and didn't go back in, so we didn't get to see him perform better than what we've seen from Barrett at RB. Hard to say how far down the list Barrett was at WR, there are too many positions to count. Suffice to say we've seen, in addition to returning players, any number of outstanding newcomers at the WR positions. Barrett did look good on defense, scored a TD and seemed more together than he's appeared in the past. This looks like a great move for both the player and the team.

Since you're doing all the griping, lets play "Cole's the Coach!" Listing RB's ~~~ K-Mart, Whitlow, Shivers, Joiner, A-Mart. Which of those do you move Barrett ahead of?

Yeah I knew it....I'm not griping at all but I was curious did you feel like you had anything besides the coaches said so...but you don't have an idea where he was at as far as depth chart.

You absolutely can't say anybody showed you in one game they were better or worse than DB. But if we want to do the coach thing we do know they decided to redshirt boobie, and he came off the bench before Miller. 

I'm curious what did you see from DB running last year that make you talk negative about his ability and what did you see last night that make you say he did good at DB. 

It seems to me this whole argument can summed up as follows:

Mikey, et. al. - The coaches have seen more of the players than we have and are experienced in (and paid to) make assessments as to where to utilize the players in a way that provides the most benefit to the team.  Therefore,  we should trust the coaches to do their job.

Cole:  The coaches are human and sometimes get it wrong.  Besides that, the coaches have responsibility to do what’s in the best interest of the team as a whole and not necessarily any individual player on the team.  If a conflict exists between what is in the individual player’s best interests and the team’s best interests, the coaches are going to side with the latter.  Thus, a player(and/or his family) has to be an advocate for what’s in his own best interests and decide whether what the coaches are asking him to do is acceptable.

So, who’s right?  I think they both are.  It’s just that Mikey is looking at it more from the perspective of a fan and Cole is looking at it more from the perspective of a player or family member of a player.  (Obviously, past history between the posters is playing a part in this whole tête-à-tête, too.)

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

What players have ever been banished to NW Alabama? We've had players leave to other states, some went to the NFL. Actually even the guys from Florida st that was banished to NW Alabama went to the NFL. 

Was just noting that Gus rarely if ever has "processed" a guy who did not work out as expected.....always gives them a chance to play somewhere if they want to stay at AU and do the work...as he has done with DB and many before him.     AU has a history of being fair with players on the matter of playing time as best I can tell.

AU does a pretty good job of evaluating players who can make it in the SEC......not easy to do while they are in HS, but once a player is here , those who are unable to crack the lineup and leave AU for lower level schools don't have much of a career at their next choice either.....Roc being the exception. though there was no question that he could have played here if he wished to do so. .  If I'm wrong,  please point out all the NFL players who were at AU,  moved  somewhere else because they could not play at AU and then ended up in the NFL.   

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

But if we want to do the coach thing we do know they decided to redshirt boobie, and he came off the bench before Miller. 

If your memory isn't all that great, then do a little research before you make yourself look silly. Whitlow was redshirted because he suffered a lower leg injury last pre-season and couldn't go. Reports stated that it was bowl game preparations before he could fully participate in practice.

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm curious what did you see from DB running last year that make you talk negative about his ability and what did you see last night that make you say he did good at DB.

What I saw from Barrett's running last year was the reason he was moved to WR. He wasn't effective at RB. Stating that someone is 6th string is stating facts, not talking negatively. Last night I saw a player that was effective at what he was trying to do. At least he has a chance at DB. He has no chance at RB unless five or six guys get injured at the same time.

3 hours ago, triangletiger said:

It seems to me this whole argument can summed up as follows:

Mikey, et. al. - The coaches have seen more of the players than we have and are experienced in (and paid to) make assessments as to where to utilize the players in a way that provides the most benefit to the team.  Therefore,  we should trust the coaches to do their job.

Cole:  The coaches are human and sometimes get it wrong.  Besides that, the coaches have responsibility to do what’s in the best interest of the team as a whole and not necessarily any individual player on the team.  If a conflict exists between what is in the individual player’s best interests and the team’s best interests, the coaches are going to side with the latter.  Thus, a player(and/or his family) has to be an advocate for what’s in his own best interests and decide whether what the coaches are asking him to do is acceptable.

So, who’s right?  I think they both are.  It’s just that Mikey is looking at it more from the perspective of a fan and Cole is looking at it more from the perspective of a player or family member of a player.  (Obviously, past history between the posters is playing a part in this whole tête-à-tête, too.)

There we go. 

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's my point where is there an argument? I said I wouldn't like it and I'd be asking questions. If you can't talk on a football forum where can you? I'm being a nice guy now, there was a point of time the sunshine crew knew better to try me, but because of my past now all you have to do is kick up some dust, blame it on Cole and you will have people backing you. But this isn't an argument. I said from the beginning I don't know how he feels

The arguments I'm referring to are not on the subject itself but rather the personal back & forths in the thread that really have nothing to do with DB but just arguments between posters.... especially the ones carrying over from previous arguments.  Now arguing the merits of the move itself is worthy football talk.  If DB comes out and makes a statement it's worthy football talk, but these arguments are personal rather than football talk.  Not taking sides, just merely playing "peacemaker" so to speak.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What I saw from Barrett's running last year was the reason he was moved to WR. 

14att 79yds 5.6 avg

To decide ones ability on 14 carries is laughable. Even then, on those 14 carries, he was effective. 

What are we even arguing about here? DB seems to be in a good spot at Auburn. From my POV, if there was an issue, he would’ve just chosen to transfer like our fellow recent DB or the UF rb (who chose to announce right after their loss). Heck, he still might do it at the end of the season, but I like to think he is enjoying his free education at AU right now and doing his best to help the team in any manner possible. It does seem like he has been switching around a bit, but the fact that he is able to do so speaks volume to the type of athlete he is and the type of attitude he personifies, as he is humble enough to do so.

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

What are we even arguing about here? DB seems to be in a good spot at Auburn. From my POV, if there was an issue, he would’ve just chosen to transfer like our fellow recent DB or the UF rb (who chose to announce right after their loss). Heck, he still might do it at the end of the season, but I like to think he is enjoying his free education at AU right now and doing his best to help the team in any manner possible. It does seem like he has been switching around a bit, but the fact that he is able to do so speaks volume to the type of athlete he is and the type of attitude he personifies, as he is humble enough to do so.

We're arguing because I said I would have concerns about multiple position changes. That's it. How dare I?

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

If your memory isn't all that great, then do a little research before you make yourself look silly. Whitlow was redshirted because he suffered a lower leg injury last pre-season and couldn't go. Reports stated that it was bowl game preparations before he could fully participate in practice.

What I saw from Barrett's running last year was the reason he was moved to WR. He wasn't effective at RB. Stating that someone is 6th string is stating facts, not talking negatively. Last night I saw a player that was effective at what he was trying to do. At least he has a chance at DB. He has no chance at RB unless five or six guys get injured at the same time.

You mean when he first got here and they had him at wr? Ok.......I don't want to look silly. You saw he wasn't effective at hb? Really? What game? What happened? He didn't run for td's every carry? Was the backs effective against Washington? Those numbers were better? 

Could you reference the link of the fact he was sixth string? I want to see something....

52 minutes ago, bigbird said:

14att 79yds 5.6 avg

To decide ones ability on 14 carries is laughable. Even then, on those 14 carries, he was effective. 

Look at those numbers.....not effective at all. For Mikey next trick he will tell you a hall of fame qb from 4 throws during warm ups......

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Was just noting that Gus rarely if ever has "processed" a guy who did not work out as expected.....always gives them a chance to play somewhere if they want to stay at AU and do the work...as he has done with DB and many before him.     AU has a history of being fair with players on the matter of playing time as best I can tell.

AU does a pretty good job of evaluating players who can make it in the SEC......not easy to do while they are in HS, but once a player is here , those who are unable to crack the lineup and leave AU for lower level schools don't have much of a career at their next choice either.....Roc being the exception. though there was no question that he could have played here if he wished to do so. .  If I'm wrong,  please point out all the NFL players who were at AU,  moved  somewhere else because they could not play at AU and then ended up in the NFL.   

So.....go look up what Mikey said about roc Thomas then tell me there was no question that he could've played here if he wished to do so.....maybe we will laugh at his comments about him together and then laugh that he has the nerve to belittle anyone now.

Better tell your friend to stick to keeping count of linebackers

another thing I would add about DB. If he can make the transition to Defensive back, that would be great. He has decent hands, as shown in his limited actions at running back. He seems to be pretty instinctive as well. Bigger than all of this is KS train of thought. He comes from the NS school of putting the best out there. If you are one of the best, you will play. There isn’t no slow transition. I am rooting for him through and through.

4 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

LMAO... This made my day! #WarEagle

And just FYI, I really had one of these when I was a kid LOL!

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

14att 79yds 5.6 avg

The coaches decided his ability on 14 carries plus innumerable practices. Thus he was moved to WR. Then they evaluated his ability there and moved him to DB. You cannot honestly claim that you thought Barrett had a future at RB after watching him last season. You must not have watched.

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

Could you reference the link of the fact he was sixth string? I want to see something....

LMAO! He was moved because five other guys were ahead of him on the depth chart. It's not rocket science.

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

So.....go look up what Mikey said about roc Thomas then tell me there was no question that he could've played here if he wished to do so.....maybe we will laugh at his comments about him together and then laugh that he has the nerve to belittle anyone now.

I don't remember what I said about Roc Thomas, but hind sight makes it very clear that he couldn't cut it at Auburn. Proof of the puddin' is in the eatin', as they say and sadly, Roc didn't last very long in big-boy football. If Jax State was a better fit for hm, I'm glad he found a suitable spot.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't remember what I said about Roc Thomas, but hind sight makes it very clear that he couldn't cut it at Auburn. Proof of the puddin' is in the eatin', as they say and sadly, Roc didn't last very long in big-boy football. If Jax State was a better fit for hm, I'm glad he found a suitable spot.

Roc just made the Vikings roster... He made it to big boy football.

7 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Roc just made the Vikings roster... He made it to big boy football.

Great for him. Obviously he grew into the big stage situation. Jax State was a good fit fir hm, Auburn wasn't.

Archived