Alabama State Report Card

StatTiger

Ok.

He's coming along on getting players experience.  

Next step to get back up QB experience as you mentioned.

As to the backup QB play, Gus and CCL will have the Arky and Southern Miss games after this weekend to get some more playing time for the QB’s. I would hope to see Malik and Cord toss the ball around in those games.  The schedule sets up well for player development in the early part of the season.

Here’s to a great season and a promising future:  :cheers:  

I was disappointed in the 3rd down play calling and execution.  That will be exacerbated against much better teams.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I was disappointed in the 3rd down play calling and execution.  That will be exacerbated against much better teams.

Beginning next week.  Hope my man crush, CCL, steps up. I’m counting on it.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed watching the replay, our backup center plays much more physical than the starter. He comes off the ball looking for someone to hit. 

• Like 1

It’s beginning to look like we need to get Sandberg ready for the backup job.  Willis does not look nearly as good this year as he did last year based on what we saw A Day and last night.  Maybe he is in a sophomore slump or something.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

As to the backup QB play, Gus and CCL will have the Arky and Southern Miss games after this weekend to get some more playing time for the QB’s

Yes they will, but we both know they will probably do the same thing in those games. I just don't see the value in not letting these QB's play like the game is on the line and call plays that way.

• Love 1

My complaint has always been with Gus not allowing his backup qb ( even in the spring game) a chance to operate the offense.  No wonder we can not survive if we lose our qb.  He never allows the backup to come in AND OPERATE HIS OFFENSE.

• Like 3

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic
3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Gus must've called the 3rd down Offense :big:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, weagl1 said:

It’s beginning to look like we need to get Sandberg ready for the backup job.  Willis does not look nearly as good this year as he did last year based on what we saw A Day and last night.  Maybe he is in a sophomore slump or something.  

I feel the same way about Willis...he reminds me too much of JFIII....he always wants to keep the ball instead of following his keys and hand it off to the back; which he did on the safety....even when he ran his only play vs. bama last year, he came in and kept it for a loss....

Not really confident with our back-up QB situation....JS better stay healthy...

That score could have easily could have been 77 to 9 if we could have executed better. I do think Cord is going to develop into a nice QB and will only be a matter of time before he becomes the 2nd team QB. If we can get Gatewood healed up, then we will have a lot more options at the QB position.

Does anyone know if there is a time frame to get Gatewood back? Will he be ready for the LSU game?

6 hours ago, kd4au said:

Yes they will, but we both know they will probably do the same thing in those games. I just don't see the value in not letting these QB's play like the game is on the line and call plays that way.

I’m thinking that CCL knows he’s not going to have JS next year and he will convince Gus the backups need meaningful game time reps which should include passing reps.  I believe CCL has had a positive influence on the play calling and offensive output.

The way Cord played was very encouraging. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

@StatTiger has Gus ever gone this deep  into  his reserves?

New red shirt rule makes it easier to put so many guys into a game like that.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m thinking that CCL knows he’s not going to have JS next year and he will convince Gus the backups need meaningful game time reps which should include passing reps.  I believe CCL has had a positive influence on the play calling and offensive output.

The way Cord played was very encouraging. 

Hope your right. But I'll have to see it to believe it. What did they get three passes between them against Al. St. ? You know, I can understand not wanting to run up the score on a team but, you have to coach your team and let the other coach worry about that.  I mean is 80 something to 9 any worse than 63-9?

Here's a look at what our guys did on the career stats charts:

* Ryan Davis passed Emory Blake to move up to 6th all-time in receptions

* Daniel Thomas passed Javaris Davis for the team career lead in INTs with 5

* Derrick Brown passed Marlon Davidson for the team career lead in sacks with 6.5

Looking forward to LSU:

* Darius Slayton needs 14 yards for 1,000 career receiving and all-purpose yards

* Eli Stove needs 65 all-purpose yards for 1,000 career

* Jarrett Stidham needs 6 completions to enter the career top 10 (6 to tie Nick Marshall at # 10, 7 to pass him)

* Kam Martin needs 108 rushing yards to reach 1,000 for his career

* Stidham needs 272 yards of total offense to reach 4,000

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Hope your right. But I'll have to see it to believe it. What did they get three passes between them against Al. St. ? You know, I can understand not wanting to run up the score on a team but, you have to coach your team and let the other coach worry about that.  I mean is 80 something to 9 any worse than 63-9?

It’s just my early season optimism speaking before Gus does some of his mind boggling mid season decision making.  Only time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Yes.....IMO....we can't help what ASU did to help us along but 63 was plenty.    

Our QBs probably have a more difficult time practicing against AU's ones or twos in practice than against ASU.    Again, JMO but there was little to learn in that game right from the start.   The primary benefits were  that the young guys who work so hard in practice actually got some playing time on the big field and some of the previously injured guys got to run some full speed plays.....and that it appears that nobody got hurt.  The loser in the game was the #2 QB who for the second week in a row made a bad decision on an easy play. 

23 hours ago, StatTiger said:

14) At least 3 big plays:  [1] fail

This was something I noticed.  I know AL State was over matched and we went more to the run game.  Best of my recollection, JS only tried 2 deep throws and connected on 1 of them.  We had 0 deep balls against Washington.  I know that you take what the D gives you, but why not chunk a few down field and back those safeties up.  Please don't start bashing me because I was one of the ones screaming for some underneath passes a year ago.  I guess I am just looking for more of a median.  Maybe 4-6 deep throws just to keep the safeties honest then work back underneath.

But hey what do I know...  That is why CCL is getting the big bucks.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

The primary benefits were  that the young guys who work so hard in practice actually got some playing time on the big field

That's right they do work hard so let them play the game with a regular playbook and see what they can do in a real game. We might have scored some more points but we might have also given up points on int's, who knows because we didn't get to see.

6 hours ago, kd4au said:

That's right they do work hard so let them play the game with a regular playbook and see what they can do in a real game. We might have scored some more points but we might have also given up points on int's, who knows because we didn't get to see.

well we saw fumbles and at least one muffed punt...:)

9 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

This was something I noticed.  I know AL State was over matched and we went more to the run game.  Best of my recollection, JS only tried 2 deep throws and connected on 1 of them.  We had 0 deep balls against Washington.  I know that you take what the D gives you, but why not chunk a few down field and back those safeties up.  Please don't start bashing me because I was one of the ones screaming for some underneath passes a year ago.  I guess I am just looking for more of a median.  Maybe 4-6 deep throws just to keep the safeties honest then work back underneath.

But hey what do I know...  That is why CCL is getting the big bucks.

I've always been of the opinion that you should play your full offense in these scrimmage games, so that when the big dogs come to play, you have some reps under your belt. Don't wait until you're against the ropes against a top team to pull out plays you've not run in a game-like situation.

The passing game comes down to timing and precision. Don't put that pressure on athletes to nail the timing the first time when you don't give them the reps, but REALLY need them to have it finely tuned.

Edited by AUTigerTime
  • Like 1