Sign in to follow this  
StatTiger

Alabama State Report Card

Recommended Posts

Our second and third units can prove themselves against our first units. 

There's no real justification in running up the score on an outmatched team for the sake of "game" reps, IMO.

Edited by homersapien

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




14 hours ago, AU64 said:

well we saw fumbles and at least one muffed punt...:)

Yes we did and I consider those fumbles great teaching and learning moments for the young players. If we treated all the players like the QB's I really don't know what plays we could run, to me the QB being allowed to throw is not a lot different than let a RB carry the ball and risking a fumble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Yes we did and I consider those fumbles great teaching and learning moments for the young players. If we treated all the players like the QB's I really don't know what plays we could run, to me the QB being allowed to throw is not a lot different than let a RB carry the ball and risking a fumble.

Aside from Gus's conservative nature, it's probably also a matter of statistics.  Even with a very good QB like JS playing behind the first OL....at least 50%  of his passing attempts turn into …...interceptions, sacks and or lost yards, or fumbles or incomplete passes      On the other hand,  the expected fumble rate for a running back is just above zero.    

Just my opinion but I think our #2 QB has not won over the coaches....made some bad decisions in key moments the first two games this year and perhaps that's one reason they have kept him under wraps....to minimize the possibility of mistakes ....and give him a chance to be successful on some important but pretty straight forward situations.  Gotta master the fundamentals first before you solo. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Aside from Gus's conservative nature, it's probably also a matter of statistics.  Even with a very good QB like JS playing behind the first OL....at least 50%  of his passing attempts turn into …...interceptions, sacks and or lost yards, or fumbles or incomplete passes      On the other hand,  the expected fumble rate for a running back is just above zero.    

Just my opinion but I think our #2 QB has not won over the coaches....made some bad decisions in key moments the first two games this year and perhaps that's one reason they have kept him under wraps....to minimize the possibility of mistakes ....and give him a chance to be successful on some important but pretty straight forward situations.  Gotta master the fundamentals first before you solo. . 

You do realize I was talking about playing the backups when the score is 63-9 don't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kd4au said:

You do realize I was talking about playing the backups when the score is 63-9 don't you?

I do, but he was playing them when the score was a  lower than that...almost from the beginning.    And of course back-ups scored 6 touchdowns if we consider Schwartz as a back-up....which may  no longer be the case but if Slayton is back and Hastings too, he might still be a back-up.    Thirteen different players had at least one carry.....just seems that the back-ups had a very good and busy day.......despite the fumbles and muffed kicks.....and the safety of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this