2019 Linebacker Recruiting

McLoofus

There's been a good discussion about linebacker recruiting going in a running back thread, so I thought maybe it's worth its own space. The discussion primarily seems to be about our remaining needs for the 2019 class in terms of quantity and quality. Hopefully the following bullets are free of opinion, if not error. 

-Owen Pappoe is obviously a massive commitment at the position, but he is still our only one.

-Two of our top handful of remaining targets, Tyron Hopper and Tresman Marshall, are committed to other schools.  We have a decent shot at flipping Hopper.

-It looks like our staff's target for this class is 2-3 linebackers total.

-We have 9 linebackers currently on scholarship.

-All 3 starters are seniors.

-Richard McBryde is a junior, but the nature of his injury is such that there's a significant possibility that his career is over. And it's possible that we won't know that until after the initial signing day in December. 

-The remaining 5 linebackers on scholarship are all underclassmen.

-3 in particular- Britt, Wooten and McClain- have drawn rave reviews and figure to get a lot of quality experience this season.

-The other 2- Marsh and Harris- both participated this past Saturday, I believe.

-We have 2 full time linebacker positions and a 3rd OLB position that is used situationally. I'm not sure if the frequency of how often that position is used is defined. 

In addition to Hopper and Marshall, I would think Nakobe Dean is a top priority as well. He's been pretty consistent saying he's coming back for another visit. He's also uncommitted and has not named leaders. We're definitely viewed as trailing for him, but I know he's a guy we really, really like.

Seemed to have a lot of 3 star LBs visiting at the Washington and Alabama A & M games. Several I have never heard of.

3 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Seemed to have a lot of 3 star LBs visiting at the Washington and Alabama A & M games. Several I have never heard of.

You weren't going to get top targets at the Bama St game. And it doesn't honestly matter who came to the Washington game. Since it was a neutral site game the recruits were not allowed to talk to any coaches. They could only watch the game from the stands.

It's a serious concern. We need three signees just to maintain. We have one great prospect committed and I don't see where the next two will come from.  We are left with only five returnees if nothing goes wrong with any of them. It's too late to fix that but a strong class of new guys is where to start. Who will the other two be? I don't have any idea.

One of the guys that visited is Zach Edwards. He’s from my hometown. He can play. I know TAMU and the Mississippi schools are interested in him. He’s an SEC caliber talent. 

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's a serious concern. We need three signees just to maintain. We have one great prospect committed and I don't see where the next two will come from.  We are left with only five returnees if nothing goes wrong with any of them. It's too late to fix that but a strong class of new guys is where to start. Who will the other two be? I don't have any idea.

FWIW, I think we get both Marshall and Hopper. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

If he takes the OV I think we’ll be all hands on deck

Yes but even still we will be going into that OV WAAAAAAAY behind.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:
1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Think Nakobe isn’t NOT in play either.

Don't think so. 

Too many double negatives here for me....  So is he or not?

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Would love for you to be right on this. We get those two along OP and I will feel good about the LB class of signees.

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Too many double negatives here for me....  So is he or not?

He’s a long shot but I don’t count out Twill.

12 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I hope you are correct on this. Those two plus OP would make a very good class.

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Agreed, I assume we don't really count Buck as a LB? Derick Hall might be headed our way.

I'm actually not sure how we use our Buck any differently than a DE? I've seen other teams use a "Star" type position but we seem to be pretty strictly used to using them as a stud pass rusher. 

We tend to slide the buck around the line. Not just as a edge rusher. Not a lot of drop/coverage responsibility for our guys, but it seems to be a mobile rush spot. 

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Damn, Mikey it's like you read my mind or my post or maybe didn't read my post. ha ha

On 9/11/2018 at 1:25 PM, McLoofus said:

*Very* good.

Add in Kalen DeLouch too and we might just be greedy lol

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

Add in Kalen DeLouch too and we might just be greedy lol

Not taking 3 more LBs. Also chances of flipping KD going into the OV are very long.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sounds like our top guys are Marshall, Hopper, Dean and DeLoach, with Marshall and Hopper being most likely?

Any other serious contenders?

No disrespect to WDE but he's the only one I've seen right now that feels good about Trez to AU. All other info points to UGA feeling good. Best shot appears to be with Hopper right now & wide open for the last spot. We just gotta wait & see what T-Will can do behind the scenes. He's working on a lot of guys committed to other places. The only uncommitted guy I know to potentially track is Mikel Jones but I would not say he's a serious contender right now.

Archived