I know it's only been two games but...

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The OL is going to keep this AU team from being a title contending one. Just not very good. Time isn't going to help. IMO. Going to be a achilles heel for the foreseeable future. 

I am very afraid you are correct.  I think this week is going to be a lot tougher than it should be because of the OL.  I think we are going to have major issues with pass rush from SEC DL and we are not going to get the push required to get the running game going.  I am very nervous that this OL is going to ruin what could be a great year.

It's a case for concern, but I'd like to keep pointing this out:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense/sort/rushingYards/year/2017

Number one rushing defense last year. They returned nine starters BTW.

Washington: #1 rushing, #19 passing, #5 overall
Louisville: #50 rushing, #77 passing, #58 overall

I am more concerned that we didn’t enter the season with an established rb. We might have several good ones but they all seem like projects. 

LSU’s front seven will be a good test to see if this OL has improved from week 1 to week 3. Good news is if Auburn can get the W against LSU it should a couple weeks to MSU till they are tested again.  If Gus and Grimey need to make any moves I’m sure it’ll happen in the next couple weeks.  Hopefully Driscoll wasn’t banged up too bad this week.

17 minutes ago, AUwent said:

It's a case for concern, but I'd like to keep pointing this out:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense/sort/rushingYards/year/2017

They returned nine starters BTW.

What are you pointing out? 

Is the issue abilities, toughness, techniques?

Does Grimes just need to coach the Hand influence out of them?

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think inserting Brahms into the starting line up will help some.

That's been my hope.

I was high on both Kim & Brahms.  Maybe Brahms will show out and even elevate Kim's "want to"?

I still feel like the guys can do well but it does look like it may take a bit to gel. ...I hope so anyway.

I'm reserving judgement until after this week.  Some of our running deficiencies in week 1 were on the RBs not waiting for holes to develop.  Not all mind you, but it was more than just the line.  Looked better last week but it was ASU, so who knows.

unfortunately we did not look good running inside on what should be the easiest DL we face all season. Running sideline to sideline against LSU will only get us so far. Not to mention UGA and UAt.

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What are you pointing out? 

I'm assuming @AUwent is pointing out Washington's #1 ranked rushing D from 2017 (and, less directly, that they returned almost all of their starters from that squad, and that maybe we shouldn't judge too harshly from that performance). 

To your point, though, maybe we should've hoped for more against ASU. ?

It did seem that they got better, more consistent push as the game wore on (EDIT: to my untrained eye).

Tough spot for the coaches: Get your OLine and backup QBs reps in the passing offense, or focus on the OLine gelling in the running game.

Doesn't take a football expert to point out the OL is our weakest link and with that the position to give us problems down the road. However, I think we have the pieces to put together a decent OL. If we can hold up to LSUs pass rush i'll feel pretty good going forward. 

25 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

@WarDamnEagleWDE just curious, but what are your thoughts on Cord from Sat?

Don’t know what he thinks about Cord from Saturday but he has said a few times he thinks Cord or Bo will be the starting quarterback in 2019. For what it’s worth.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The OL is going to keep this AU team from being a title contending one. Just not very good. Time isn't going to help. IMO. Going to be a achilles heel for the foreseeable future. 

I know you were concerned with the OL in the spring and as @alexava points out we did not have an established RB to start the season.  A concern for me for the first game of the season.  I’m sorry to hear you don’t believe time will help. If we can get by LSU (come on defense), we have two games (ARKY and So. Miss) that Auburn can work on improving and solidifying the OL/RB situation.

Has CCL had more input as to game planning and play calling this year?  Seems like he has.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don’t know what he thinks about Cord from Saturday but he has said a few times he thinks Cord or Bo will be the starting quarterback in 2019. For what it’s worth.

More convinced than ever. 

I think there is a lot going on with our OL that impacts what we see with our eyes live and through the stat sheets. 

Some of the more experience coaches we have on here can correct me if I am wrong, but based on Lindsey’s comments from wk1, is it possible that part of the issue with the OL is by design? Not suggesting that we are sandbagging or anything like that, but Lindsey mentioned that 17 or so of Stidham pass attempts came from an RPO. Could it be that the OL isn’t driving folks because they do not know whether it’s run or pass (emphasis on no illegal men downfield??)? I bring this up because despite the inability to establish the run game against Washington, we didn’t give up a lot of tackles for loss either. 

I thought we did well in pass blocking, and we weren’t getting pushed off the ball in run blocking, it was just that we weren’t generating any movement either. 

I’m just asking so any feedback is welcome. I’m not a coach and my biggest credibility claim is being able to chat daily with StatTiger ?

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

More convinced than ever. 

Would not be surprised if transfer talks in the Willis camp start to pop up. Body language was everything. Especially after the safety.

55 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That's been my hope.

I was high on both Kim & Brahms.  Maybe Brahms will show out and even elevate Kim's "want to"?

I still feel like the guys can do well but it does look like it may take a bit to gel. ...I hope so anyway.

JMO but it looks like Kim's problem is he is not strong enough. You would think he would be stronger than he shows, being a redshirt junior.

Just now, kd4au said:

JMO but it looks like Kim's problem is he is not strong enough. You would think he would be stronger than he shows, being a redshirt junior.

Exactly my assessment.  He seems to "do the job" well....snaps crisp & consistent, seems to call out things well, even seems in good position on blocks (mostly) but it's very easy to stalemate him...not any push from him at all.

Archived