State of college football after Week Two

TitanTiger

LSU's offense is atrocious.  Through two weeks, their starting QB is under 50% completion rating, and that includes playing an FCS team in their second game.  If you take the 40-yd Hail Mary that connected for a TD as time expired in the 1st half against SE Louisiana, they finished with under 300 total yds for the 2nd straight game.  How Yaw Yaw thought Entsminger was a solution on offense is beyond me.

Clemson is not the 2nd best team in the country.

Mississippi State is better than I thought they'd be and Oct. 6th in Starkpatch will be a snot-bubble game.  But Fitzgerald is still a one-dimensional QB.  

Arkansas LOL.

Right now, there's a gap between Alabama and everyone else.  But Mack Wilson's foot injury continues a troubling trend for them of injuries at the LB position.  That could loom large at the end of the year as bruises and nicks pile up.

Wisconsin is ranked too high.

So is Notre Dame.

The Arizona State Fighting Herms are surprisingly good.

Auburn got better Saturday.  Secondary still needs to tighten up some though and we'll see if running game issues got corrected this Saturday.  LSU's defense is NOT a joke.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

LSU's offense is atrocious.  Through two weeks, their starting QB is under 50% completion rating, and that includes playing an FCS team in their second game.  If you take the 40-yd Hail Mary that connected for a TD as time expired in the 1st half against SE Louisiana, they finished with under 300 total yds for the 2nd straight game.  How Yaw Yaw thought Entsminger was a solution on offense is beyond me.

Mississippi State is better than I thought they'd be and Oct. 6th in Starkpatch will be a snot-bubble game.  But Fitzgerald is still a one-dimensional QB.  

Arkansas LOL.

Right now, there's a gap between Alabama and everyone else.  But Mack Wilson's foot injury continues a troubling trend for them of injuries at the LB position.  That could loom large at the end of the year as bruises and nicks pile up.

So is Notre Dame.

Auburn got better Saturday.  Secondary still needs to tighten up some though and we'll see if running game issues got corrected this Saturday.  LSU's defense is NOT a joke.

I am so happy for Herm. Really enjoy hearing that guy speak. He just loves the game. I know my fellow Wisconsinites will hate me for this but I just am not overly impressed with UW. There QB play is still rather suspect.

Alabama and UGA still playing at high level, but I want to see them actually play a team that can punch them in the mouth. Texas A&M is starting to scare me a bit. Mond looks like he is developing nicely and they had some stud WR who looks like Mike Evans part 2. 

Everybody go to hogville and have a laugh. LSU defense is staunt, but over at the rant, they are melting pretty hard about their offensive play calling and lack of O-line protection. USC is a joke. FSU is a joke. Dan Mullen failed his first test badly I might add losing to UK in the swamp. USCe is who we thought they were.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Texas A&M is starting to scare me a bit. Mond looks like he is developing nicely and they had some stud WR who looks like Mike Evans part 2. 

Everybody go to hogville and have a laugh. LSU defense is staunt, but over at the rant, they are melting pretty hard about their offensive play calling and lack of O-line protection. 

I said when the schedule came out that I'd rather get TAMU early and LSU late. LSU will not get better. They've got a tough, athletic defense and a crap offense right now, and that's what they'll still have in October. TAMU, on the other hand, will only get better every week under Jimbo. Hopefully we do, too. 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am so happy for Herm. Really enjoy hearing that guy speak. He just loves the game. I know my fellow Wisconsinites will hate me for this but I just am not overly impressed with UW. There QB play is still rather suspect.

Alabama and UGA still playing at high level, but I want to see them actually play a team that can punch them in the mouth. Texas A&M is starting to scare me a bit. Mond looks like he is developing nicely and they had some stud WR who looks like Mike Evans part 2. 

Everybody go to hogville and have a laugh. LSU defense is staunt, but over at the rant, they are melting pretty hard about their offensive play calling and lack of O-line protection. USC is a joke. FSU is a joke. Dan Mullen failed his first test badly I might add losing to UK in the swamp. USCe is who we thought they were.

i usually hit the rant on my daily rounds and i was surprised too see most lsu fans are expecting lsu to lose to us short of a miracle. i will take a win against lsu but a good old fashioned butt whoopin would sure make me feel great!

31 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Arkansas LOL.

So is Notre Dame.

I think we beat LSU simply because they can't score. However, we cannot give them a turnover with a short field.

Clemson is better than the showing against an "unranked" aTm. Jimbo has that team playing very well. That game reminded me of AU against USCe in 2010. Have to wonder what that halftime speech looked like.

Miss St will not be a gimme - agree.

While bama is showing out - it has been 2 weeks against fairly weak defenses. Tua is a good QB - but can be careless. His mistakes have not cost them yet.

42 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Arkansas LOL.

So is Notre Dame.

Nebraska is going to be good in a hurry under Scott Frost.

UCF is still the best team in Florida and it isn't even close.  USF is probably #2.

Vandy's D is legit.  MTSU and Nevada can put points up in a hurry and Vandy shut both down.  The Dores will clip someone this year (Notre Dame this week?).

The ACC is really mediocre as a whole.  Ditto for the Big 12.

The Pac 12 South will be the most interesting division outside of the SEC West.  Colorado, USC, Utah, and Arizona State can all win that division.

Atm played way above their head

clemson will be in the playoff . They have zero challenges from here on out

Bama is sharp, but wreckless

miss st has not played anybody yet

lsu will be bloody after Saturday 

auburn has to clean up the mess with ball control and penalties. 

33 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

UCF is still the best team in Florida and it isn't even close.  USF is probably #2.

200.gif

4 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Atm played way above their head

clemson will be in the playoff . They have zero challenges from here on out

Bama is sharp, but wreckless

miss st has not played anybody yet

lsu will be bloody after Saturday 

auburn has to clean up the mess with ball control and penalties. 

Still not on the a&m boat. You can bet they spent all off season prepping for Clemson. If they keep playing this way I'll believe that JF turned that team around. 

8 minutes ago, C'viewTiger said:

Still not on the a&m boat. You can bet they spent all off season prepping for Clemson. If they keep playing this way I'll believe that JF turned that team around. 

after giving that $98 million or whatever it is guaranteed contract......no doubt that the aggies expect him to do it.....and quickly. 

Lots of teams in that "Top 25" that don't belong there or at least not so high. Clemson being the top dog (cat) with that honor. #2 nearly losing to an un-ranked team and didn't even move 1 spot in the polls? Garbage. Notre Dame is way too high. Michigan is always too high. Miami is too high. Etc. etc. etc.. I hate preseason polls. lol

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Secondary still needs to tighten up some though and we'll see if running game issues got corrected this Saturday.  LSU's defense is NOT a joke.

I agree about our secondary. Hopefully the freshmen grow up quick!

As far as the run game, we are not there yet but I think we will run it just enough to give LSU doubts about play calling. Our strength is passing the ball - maybe more than ever this year. Those intermediate passes killed Washington, and that is what we need to do against Lsu to keep their DL off of Stid. We should be able to move the sticks on Saturday. I am just concerned about red zone scoring. We need TDs and it is difficult if you can't run the ball. Maybe more wildcat with Joiner. 

Also:

Clemson will not lose a game until the playoffs. They literally play nobody (ACC). 

Notre Dame looks rough, but if they win the next 3 games they probably are in the playoff. 

KY looks pretty good. I don't think they will beat UGA but I think they are better than USCe. FL Stinks. TN is worse. And I have not idea hat to make of Mizzou. 

OK looks great but they just lost a big time player. 

OH St looks great but I want to see them play someone good. This weekend will be a good test. If they beat TCU badly - there is nobody in the Big 10 that will beat them unless they crap the bed in a game like they have been known to do lately. 

And then there is the SEC West (minus Ark): wow. Alabama is the favorite but every team is a pain in the butt. Best it has been since 2010. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

UW played a lot of zone, LSU will play a lot of man.  Windows will be much tighter.

Or open depending on the play of our receivers. There's a lot of speed on the outside now that the safeties have to be concerned with so that might open the middle up more for guys like Hastings and NCM.

56 minutes ago, C'viewTiger said:

No question . They played stout all night . Reminds me of AU playing LSU in 2012 . Played the whole season out that game . 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I said when the schedule came out that I'd rather get TAMU early and LSU late. LSU will not get better. They've got a tough, athletic defense and a crap offense right now, and that's what they'll still have in October. TAMU, on the other hand, will only get better every week under Jimbo. Hopefully we do, too. 

Yeah, it's funny b/c it's been the opposite in years past. You wanted TAMU late b/c they'd collapse and LSU early before they worked out their kinks. 

But you hit the nail on the head, TAMU will likely continue the improvement trend and everyone is awaiting the LSU collapse. LSU is a fickle bunch, the team and the fans. Lord knows they were ready to lay down and die in the 1st half last year before the chunk play end around.

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

UW played a lot of zone, LSU will play a lot of man.  Windows will be much tighter.

....or wide the h#$% open if they cant keep up!

27 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Or open depending on the play of our receivers. There's a lot of speed on the outside now that the safeties have to be concerned with so that might open the middle up more for guys like Hastings and NCM.

and I should have kept reading.

30 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

And then there is the SEC West (minus Ark): wow. Alabama is the favorite but every team is a pain in the butt. Best it has been since 2010. 

bama is obviously the top pick here.  

AU has the potential to be an elite team. (Got a little work to do with run blocking and secondary, but who doesn’t have issues)

MS St. looks good!  That D is stout and their run game is legit.  Not much of a passing threat though. 

LSU is about the same as MS St. I think.  We’ll find out more about them on Saturday.  

A&M looks good!  Mond looks like the real deal.  Say what you want, but giving Clemson all they wanted and then some is an impressive statement.  

Ole Miss is gonna score some points!  Those WRs are scary!  Their D looks pretty sad right now, but I like McGriff.  I think they will have a serviceable D by season’s end. 

I think it will take a year or two for Morris to get Army turned around, but I think he will.  He’s a good coach   

So yeah, that’s 5 teams that are good to very good, and one team that is a threat to outscore anybody on any given Saturday.  The SECWest, which is always loaded, is as good as it has been in a good while.  It should make for some very entertaining (and stressful) Saturdays this fall!

17 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

ADD: The SEC East is a joke.

And yes!  There is no one outside of the uga-ly leg humpers that have a pulse in the east.  I really think Vandy and UK May duke it out for the 2nd best team in the least.  ??‍♂️?

Which means uga should be well rested for us, and the SECCG.  

Meanwhile, the Death Squads in the Wild West will be killing each other every week to see who survives until the end. 

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Arkansas LOL.

So is Notre Dame.

Agree with everything except Mississippi State. I watched them Saturday and wasn’t too impressed. 

Archived