State of college football after Week Two

TitanTiger

Clemson: as things stand right now, they do not play a ranked team all year. That alone should keep them out of the “playoff”, but it won’t. By contrast we are playing two Top 12 teams in the first 3 weeks, and will close with likely #1 and # 2.

Miss. State: very talented, but still untested. K State is a shell of what they usually are, and Fitzgerald still struggled with accuracy. That said, I want to beat them badly. I’m so tired of hearing how their D Line is the best and deepest in the SEC. Disrespects our guys.

Bama is still Bama; very talented, with a favorable schedule. After A&M and until November, they could wear all white uniforms and play on a blue chalk field, and Tua wouldn’t get dirty. 

Notre Dame and Texas are NOT back.

Proud for AZ State and Herm. Need more good guys like him in the sport.

Ole Miss chaps my hide, and I hope Bama thrashes them soundly. They are about to find out that those running lanes and QB pockets that are so plentiful against T Tech and the Salukis, are not quite as present against AU, UAT, and LSU. 

UGA is looking like a team with 3 straight elite recruiting classes. 

AU is really good, and has a chance to be a playoff team. The talent is obvious, we have a unified and cohesive staff, and great team leadership. Need the O-line to step up. Time to get payback on the Corn Dogs. WDE!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Agree with everything except Mississippi State. I watched them Saturday and wasn’t too impressed. 

Not impressed how?  They went on the road and manhandled a Power 5 team 31-10.  Kansas State is generally competitive and well coached, and plays well at home.  They rolled up 538 yards of total offense and held KSU to only 213.  About the only critique I'd have of them is that Fitzgerald still isn't a good passer.  Otherwise, they are looking pretty good and they play very physical.

38 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Not impressed how?  They went on the road and manhandled a Power 5 team 31-10.  Kansas State is generally competitive and well coached, and plays well at home.  They rolled up 538 yards of total offense and held KSU to only 213.  About the only critique I'd have of them is that Fitzgerald still isn't a good passer.  Otherwise, they are looking pretty good and they play very physical.

Heh, Kansas state had to come back and score 15 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to beat FCS South Dakota by a field goal. I don't know how much that tells us TBH.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Heh, Kansas state had to come back and score 15 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to beat FCS South Dakota by a field goal. I don't know how much that tells us TBH.

Maybe.  But regardless, MSU handled their business.  They suffocated KSU all day long.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Maybe.  But regardless, MSU handled their business.  They suffocated KSU all day long.

As a ranked opponent should do to a team of lesser stature.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

As a ranked opponent should do to a team of lesser stature.

Yes.  So like I said, MSU is a pretty good team.  I'm not understanding what the argument is here.  I didn't say they were a CFP contender.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yes.  So like I said, MSU is a pretty good team.  I'm not understanding what the argument is here.  I didn't say they were a CFP contender.

I am disagreeing with you citing them beating Kansas State, a team who they recruit much higher than and who struggled against an FCS opponent a week earlier, as to why we should be impressed. I mean if that is impressive then holy crap. They should be beating that team with no problem lol.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am disagreeing with you citing them beating Kansas State, a team who they recruit much higher than and who struggled against an FCS opponent a week earlier, as to why we should be impressed. I mean if that is impressive then holy crap. They should be beating that team with no problem lol.

Because they came out and dominated them like a good team ought to.  Maybe it's because I didn't have the same expectations others seemed to have for MSU coming into the year, but they choked KSU on their home turf.  They outgained them 538 to 213, and I'm sorry but if you hold any Power 5 team other than the likes of Rutgers to under 215 yds total offense, you've done something in this age of offensive-oriented rules in football.

Can a person be impressed without acting like they've declared them to be a combination of the '76 Steelers, '95 Cowboys and the Bill Walsh-era 49ers?

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Because they came out and dominated them like a good team ought to.  Maybe it's because I didn't have the same expectations others seemed to have for MSU coming into the year, but they choked KSU on their home turf.  They outgained them 538 to 213, and I'm sorry but if you hold any Power 5 team other than the likes of Rutgers to under 215 yds total offense, you've done something in this age of offensive-oriented rules in football.

Can a person be impressed without acting like they've declared them to be a combination of the '76 Steelers, '95 Cowboys and the Bill Walsh-era 49ers?

Can a person disagree with you being impressed with them? Or Nah? You said why you are impressed. I am speaking to why I am not impressed. Stop jumping to extremes. Miss. State beat Kansas State. Cool. I still believe there are about 4 to 5 teams who can match up and beat that miss. state team in the SEC West. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

UW played a lot of zone, LSU will play a lot of man.  Windows will be much tighter.

And Greedy Williams will be....Greedy

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Can a person disagree with you being impressed with them? Or Nah? You said why you are impressed. I am speaking to why I am not impressed. Stop jumping to extremes. Miss. State beat Kansas State. Cool. I still believe there are about 4 to 5 teams who can match up and beat that miss. state team in the SEC West. 

Ok.  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

What we know through two weeks will be proven wrong mostly by week 4.  This season is way to early to determine anything for any team... except FSU.  

I wish we had their RB though. I bet he is rethinking things.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

LSU DBs have never lacked speed to keep up.

Agreed - I just hope with a double move we can create the space needed. If the safeties are not careful we will take one to the house quick. 

14 hours ago, DAG said:

My thing is this:  Holding any P5 team to 213 yds is impressive (as is rolling up 538 yds on them).  As good as LSU's defense is, they held SE Louisiana, an FCS team, to 254 yds.  Auburn held ASU to 205, so that's only 8 yards more than we held an FCS school to.  I mean, I find that impressive.  Again, "impressive" is not saying they are "amazing."  But MSU looks like a tough out this year.  I don't expect that game to be another 49-10 blowout. 

14 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

What we know through two weeks will be proven wrong mostly by week 4.  This season is way to early to determine anything for any team... except FSU.  

I agree.  I said in a preseason thread that I'll reserve judgement until after game 4.

With that said, I like the signs from Gus.  If the OL can grow and improve, I see good things to come.

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree.  I said in a preseason thread that I'll reserve judgement until after game 4.

With that said, I like the signs from Gus.  If the OL can grow and improve, I see good things to come.

Me, too. Zero major complaints about the head coach so far this season. I felt much, MUCH differently at this point last season. 

19 hours ago, C'viewTiger said:

Still not on the a&m boat. You can bet they spent all off season prepping for Clemson. If they keep playing this way I'll believe that JF turned that team around. 

Not to mention that Jimbo has seen Clemson a few dozen times in the past few years!!

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Me, too. Zero major complaints about the head coach so far this season. I felt much, MUCH differently at this point last season. 

Exactly.  UDub the O didn't continue to bang it's head against the wall when things weren't working in the 3rd Qtr.  They made some adjustments and there was some fire and the scoring drive speaks for itself, thus picking the Defense up to hold followed by the O GETTING THAT FIRST DOWN to ice the game.  Wouldn't have happened early last year...or the year before....or before that.

And seeing the entire roster get meaningful snaps in the ASU game, I mean Stidham was out BEFORE halftime!!! I truly expected starters well into the 3rd...

#NewGus

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly.  UDub the O didn't continue to bang it's head against the wall when things weren't working in the 3rd Qtr.  They made some adjustments and there was some fire and the scoring drive speaks for itself, thus picking the Defense up to hold followed by the O GETTING THAT FIRST DOWN to ice the game.  Wouldn't have happened early last year...or the year before....or before that.

And seeing the entire roster get meaningful snaps in the ASU game, I mean Stidham was out BEFORE halftime!!! I truly expected starters well into the 3rd...

#NewGus

Yeah, man. This freshman class, especially when considering how the 2019 class is shaping up, is a BIG reason for optimism. I'm including Sandberg in that, btw. It's been so good seeing them play so much this early. 

29 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

Not to mention that Jimbo has seen Clemson a few dozen times in the past few years!!

Oh man, that's a great point. I owe you 1 beer- not a terribly expensive one, I'm afraid, sincere apologies- for making me feel a little better. I would prefer to wait at least a year before fearing them. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

My thing is this:  Holding any P5 team to 213 yds is impressive (as is rolling up 538 yds on them).  As good as LSU's defense is, they held SE Louisiana, an FCS team, to 254 yds.  Auburn held ASU to 205, so that's only 8 yards more than we held an FCS school to.  I mean, I find that impressive.  Again, "impressive" is not saying they are "amazing."  But MSU looks like a tough out this year.  I don't expect that game to be another 49-10 blowout. 

There’s definitely a middle ground in this skirmish. MSU has a lot of talent, especially on defense. We cannot afford a slow or lethargic start in Starkville. But this was one of the least talented K State teams I can remember. A lot of those holes K Hill was running through won’t be there vs AU, and if Fitzgerald can’t complete 50% of his passes against the K State D, he could have another long day against us. Assuming we take care of business this Saturday, the MSU game will be our next big test. Getting battle tested early vs UW and LSU will help us get better quick. 

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

There’s definitely a middle ground in this skirmish. MSU has a lot of talent, especially on defense. We cannot afford a slow or lethargic start in Starkville. But this was one of the least talented K State teams I can remember. A lot of those holes K Hill was running through won’t be there vs AU, and if Fitzgerald can’t complete 50% of his passes against the K State D, he could have another long day against us. Assuming we take care of business this Saturday, the MSU game will be our next big test. Getting battle tested early vs UW and LSU will help us get better quick. 

JMO but if we look at who was on the field for AU most of the game Saturday, we should probably disregard ANY stat...offense or defense for that game.   As one-sided as the game looked, it could have been soooo much worse for ASU if Gus wanted to do so. 

Archived