Things I'll Be Looking For: AU vs LSU

JMR

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic
3 hours ago, JMR said:

IF Auburn uses a lot of tempo in the game, will we finally get away from running the same inside zone play after getting a first down?

This and pleeeassseeee!!! 

WDE!

I listened to a local radio station this afternoon and they interviewed an ex LSU player who is still close to the program. One tidbit he let out was they plan on dropping a 6 ft 2 225 safety down to speed rush off the edge to help take up the slack from the player they have that was hurt for the year. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Aucater said:

I listened to a local radio station this afternoon and they interviewed an ex LSU player who is still close to the program. One tidbit he let out was they plan on dropping a 6 ft 2 225 safety down to speed rush off the edge to help take up the slack from the player they have that was hurt for the year. 

Hopefully we can exploit that if that is what they intend to do

• Like 1

This is one game that we will win and will come into the game with a point to prove left over from last year's game. I think we will see an extremely focused team with a mission.  I think we will give LSU's offense fits all day long, and our offense will come through and will score the points we need to win this game.

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I'll Be Looking For: AU vs LSU

It was stated earlier....but coach, appreciate your thoughts and opinions...I look forward to reading yours over any of those 'talking heads' that get paid...can't wait to read your response after our victory on Saturday!!!!!

8 hours ago, JMR said:

If AU is to maintain its status as “relevant” in the chase for the SEC title, this is one we need to win. While a loss would not eliminate Auburn, it would greatly diminish whatever margin for error exists in that pursuit.

Got me thinking ... has Auburn ever won a SEC title with a lost to LSU (modern era)?

14 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Got me thinking ... has Auburn ever won a SEC title with a lost to LSU (modern era)?

2013 LSU was only loss in reg season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

Doh!

Probably just blocked that year out after the finish. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Gus needs to make coach O his new bielma. He always came out with the intent to demoralize Arkansas.

I just want us to handle an inferior LSU the way we should have last year. Get up big early and keep piling on with more. A final score like the Georgia v South Carolina game would be ideal and put everyone on notice.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hopefully we can exploit that if that is what they intend to do

Me too, surely they have folks that are gleaning such information. 

Thanks for the terrific analysis!

IMO LSU's secondary (so far this season) not matching the description of them that usually fits, as great. Their fundamentals and judgment against Miami's mediocre passing game were VERY hit or miss and their 2d game was against a minnow. LSU's secondary may have become like Miami QBs where the assumption is it's greatness waiting to happen. Hopefully they don't come around aginst us but so far - not seeing it.

LSU started out bad last year and got better as season went on. That said I think their O-line is weaker than ours and their D-Line while good is not as good or as deep as ours. We have more speed at WR  and higher quality,  Our LB's will match theirs if not better and I believe we have a better secondary. Basically our D is better than theirs.  They brought the other safety up last year in the second half and we did not adjust we have had a year to figure that out.

If our O-Line and RB's can establish a running game it will be a blowout if not our D will pretty much stuff LSU O and we will score enough with Stidham and receivers to win anyway. 

I don't know why but I am pretty sure we will beat the 10.5 point spread. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

The later into the week we go,. The more I believe our defense is going to absolutely shut down their run,.  And make it miserable for their QB.   stop the run,. And then just bring heat and more heat.   

Zero concerns about our defense against their offense, other than them probably hitting a couple deep passes at inopportune times where the QB just throws it up for grabs and their receiver makes an incredible catch that could not have possibly been defended better because that has happened to us in every single big game going back 3 or 4 years.

I just hope we can score on them. Might see a lot of those quick hitters to Ryan Davis again, which is totally ok. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I just hope we can score on them. Might see a lot of those quick hitters to Ryan Davis again, which is totally ok. 

With Schwartz's speed - we should be able to throw downfield without all those long developing plays. Just move up under center real quick, snap, drop 3-5 steps and float one up for him to chase down.

Well, as long as he's not covered up top with a safety too. That'll be a bummer. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Linayus said:

With Schwartz's speed - we should be able to throw downfield without all those long developing plays. Just move up under center real quick, snap, drop 3-5 steps and float one up for him to chase down.

Well, as long as he's not covered up top with a safety too. That'll be a bummer. lol

You make an excellent point. And that's exactly what I hoped would happen with JFIII a couple years ago. Can he catch? Who cares. They still have to cover him, which means something else opens up. But we know that Schwartz can catch, and it appears he can run after the catch, too. !!!

This freshman class is like going to a Brazilian steakhouse. If we have a QB next year...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You make an excellent point. And that's exactly what I hoped would happen with JFIII a couple years ago. Can he catch? Who cares. They still have to cover him, which means something else opens up. But we know that Schwartz can catch, and it appears he can run after the catch, too. !!!

This freshman class is like going to a Brazilian steakhouse. If we have a QB next year...

Let's hope Nix, at the very least, can fill in the role quickly if needed. (He's next year, right?) Having all this (legit) world class speed at skill positions is amazing and Gus/Chip should be working extremely hard to get these guys involved early on. It will do nothing but help the run game open up to allow us to be even more deadly on offense. (Seems like we say that every year.. but c'mon.. this year it's obvious!!)

I didn't get to watch the Washington game (except highlights) so I haven't seen our secondary up against a decent team so I'll be watching that closely. TA&M, Ole Miss, and TuaBama will hurt us if that's an area of weakness. The rest of the defense appears as solid as last year!

• Like 1