Things I'll Be Looking For: AU vs LSU

JMR

Just now, Mr Bad Example said:

Things I'll be looking for......that's would be the LSU majorettes in those white outfits 

That's like the only reason I watch USC games. I hate them but ohhhhh their cheerleaders... ??

• Like 1

Just now, Linayus said:

Let's hope Nix, at the very least, can fill in the role quickly if needed.

"At the very least", "if needed"- I like the way you phrased that. I'm high on Sandberg, even though he evidently wasn't exactly a marksman in practices.

I didn't get to watch the Washington game (except highlights) so I haven't seen our secondary up against a decent team so I'll be watching that closely. TA&M, Ole Miss, and TuaBama will hurt us if that's an area of weakness. The rest of the defense appears as solid as last year!

Pure speculation on my part, but I think our secondary might be more boom and bust. More picks, more blown coverages. Again, just speculation. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"At the very least", "if needed"- I like the way you phrased that. I'm high on Sandberg, even though he evidently wasn't exactly a marksman in practices.

He definitely outplayed MW on Saturday, imo. I've been away from the forum for a while (got married, work projects, etc.) so I didn't even know who he was until he stepped on the field. LOL

Pure speculation on my part, but I think our secondary might be more boom and bust. More picks, more blown coverages. Again, just speculation. 

Yeeesh.. sounds like the Ole Miss "landshark" defense from years past (definitely not anything recent). While I love forcing turnovers, I'd rather not give offenses chunks of yardage. It pains me when we'll hold an offense to like 100 yards passing for 3/4 of the game then give up an 80 yard play that kills our stat line.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Could be ….but I would really be surprised if LSU exposes them.    Don't think their QB is gonna have a lot of time to look for the "boom" passes unless the refs ignore holding by their OL. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could be ….but I would really be surprised if LSU exposes them.    Don't think their QB is gonna have a lot of time to look for the "boom" passes unless the refs ignore holding by their OL. 

Me too.  Wash was a great test and I suspect the next big challenge in the air will be Ole Miss.

LSU QB Burrow is not nearly as mobile as UW's Browning. Pressure from our DL should result in several sacks and maybe a couple interceptions.

We shut down UW's talented running backs and if we can do the same to LSU's, we should win easily.

Looking for a great game from Stidham, a breakout for Boobie, and our receivers to have a big day.

Great analysis and I have also noticed the tight ends are staying close to home and are not involved in short and mid-range receiving. I thought it was a compromise between Malzahn and Lindsey to add blocking protection for Stidham who, lets face it, has not performed well under pressure in the past. He will surly get an equal to or stronger pass rush from LSU than he did from Washington. Keeping the tight ends close to home also speeds up the hurry up and will keep LSU from using their depth substituting. Malzahn almost certainly has a play or two in his pocket for the red zone that will involve the tight end slipping into the end zone that LSU hasn't seen. We will know early if the hurry up is affecting LSU like it did Washington if LSU is hit with defensive substitution penalties. A couple of 12 or 13 men on the field infractions will force Orgeron to play straight up man to man which I think will be advantage Auburn. I also look for Malzahn to pour it on and not let LSU  back into the game like last year in Baton Rouge. With that in mind I have taken Auburn to beat the 9 1/2 point spread and expect LSU to collapse in the fourth quarter with the noise and Marlon Davidson and Derrick Brown spending the game in their backfield. 

Edited by Auburn1954

Is anyone buying all of this “chess match “ talk about Burrows checking plays at the los? I think he did a couple of times in the first two games, but I think the media is hyping his abilities a little too much!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 2:12 PM, JMR said:
  • One of the few things we got to see in the ASU game was the talents of Anthony Schwartz and Shaun Shivers, two freshmen with big-time speed. I thought Schwartz showed that he is not just “a track guy playing football”, but a football player with world-class speed. Shivers is also exceptionally fast, runs hard, and has good hands. A coach’s opinion of a player changes as they get to know each other and assess skills. I’m curious to see if Chip Lindsey comes up with ways to get the ball to Shivers and Schwartz in space against a very good LSU defense.

Would love seeing the LSU defense get a case of the Schwartz and Shivers!  :P

I think our running game starts to take shape and get a brand.... Just not sure yet what or who that looks like. I also think that NCM is going to go off in this offer... Just a hunch. I've been watching him since high school and waiting on him to have that man vs boy game that really shows his skillset...I think we get running and get some pace going then when Cookie monster goes and loads the box and plays man to man Studham and NCM take the top off..

Maybe wishful thinking IDK....I just have a feeling. Also think we see Ryan Davis have a big game