2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

Junior college defender having big season on Auburn’s radar

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 

Latrell Bankston, a 3-star defensive tackle at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas, has turned heads with his play this season. Several schools have offered and he’s hoping — and optimistic — Auburn could soon join the club.

I’m really really interested in Auburn!,” Bankston told 247Sports and Auburn Undercover. “They are coached by one of the best coaches of all time in my opinion and they are DLU! And it’s close home.”

A native of Woodstock, Ga., the 6-feet-1, 285-pound Bankston has recorded 10 sacks and 13.5 tackles for loss in only six games played this season. Defensive line coach Rodney Garner recently visited Bankston in Kansas.

“They came and talked to me at the Coffeyville game, but I didn’t play because they were bad and I was resting my shoulder,” Bankston said. “I talk to Coach Garner the most out of everyone. I also talk to (defensive coordinator Kevin) Steele. Garner likes me a lot as a player and even compared me to (NFL player) Geno Atkins. He said he loves my quickenss and explosive movement skills and play-making ability.”

Bankston is the No. 3 tackle and No. 18 junior college recruit nationally in the 247Sports rankings. He carries an 88 grade.

Bankston plans to graduate in December. His goal is to have a commitment decision “a week or two after the season is over.” His teams final regular-season game is Nov. 9.

Why hasn’t Auburn offered yet?

“Because I’m a Juco guy and they need to have a more (thorough) background check on me,” Bankston said. “And maybe because I’m ‘undersized” but coach said he doesn’t care about that.”COMMENTS

According to Bankston, he plans to visit the Tigers in November.

“I’m taking an unofficial to the Iron Bowl but hopefully it’ll be an official if they offer me,” Bankston said.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

“And maybe because I’m ‘undersized” but coach said he doesn’t care about that.”

Undersized at 285.... My goodness times have changed.

15 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Undersized at 285.... My goodness times have changed.

He’s referring to him being 6 foot or 6 foot one.

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

He’s referring to him being 6 foot or 6 foot one.

yeah I figured, but still...  If the 285 on 6'1" is more muscle than fat then this guys is gonna be a hoss

16 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

This kid is unbelievable. When  Hoover played them this year he kicked several off of the scoreboard which on the Thompson home video is off the screen. The scoreboard is 20 or 30 feet high and he was kicking it in the middle of that on extra points. they probably would have been 40 yard FG's or more. I wasn't sure why he kicked it that hard on the extra points but who cares if you are making them.   

Soooooooooooooooooooooo 2nd quarterback for this class confirmed?

3 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Damn @Sizzle! I was just coming here to post this. 3* DB who has gotten offers from AU, Bama, & Oklahoma the past 3 days.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Soooooooooooooooooooooo 2nd quarterback for this class confirmed?

@Zeek Yes but we probably won't here much til after the season because it'll likely be a transfer QB.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek Yes but we probably won't here much til after the season because it'll likely be a transfer QB.

Would we get a transfer to ride the bench? I can't imagine Bo won't be the starter. Hell let's take Cam's little brother then lol.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Would we get a transfer to ride the bench? I can't imagine Bo won't be the starter. Hell let's take Cam's little brother then lol.

If we don't get Criswell to flip from UNC it will likely be a young transfer that has to sit Bo's Soph year anyway.

Just now, ellitor said:

If we don't get Criswell to flip from UNC it will likely be a young transfer that has to sit Bo's Soph year anyway.

Ah makes sense, forgot about the sitting out part. It'll be interesting to watch. 

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'd be down to have the Newton gene pool back on campus

Did he play QB at Howard?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Damn @Sizzle! I was just coming here to post this. 3* DB who has gotten offers from AU, Bama, & Oklahoma the past 3 days.

So the staff is really focusing on juco’s at this point huh

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

So the staff is really focusing on juco’s at this point huh

For the last CB spot? It appears so.

Archived