2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

That was never a consideration. The statement was made that we didn't have the o-line numbers. We did have the numbers. Beyond that is a different subject.

Well, sure, if your goal is to be pedantic and quibble over what was said (or interpreted to have been said) vs. what was meant.  Obviously, in the real world of college football, the OG and OT positions do require different skillsets (even the LT and RT positions require different skillsets), and having depth at one OL position doesn't mean you have depth at another OL position.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

if your goal is to be pedantic and quibble over what was said (or interpreted to have been said) vs. what was meant.

Mikey...

giphy.gif?cid=790b76118329b5984997ada4eb

21 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Well, sure, if your goal is to be pedantic and quibble over what was said (or interpreted to have been said) vs. what was meant.  Obviously, in the real world of college football, the OG and OT positions do require different skillsets (even the LT and RT positions require different skillsets), and having depth at one OL position doesn't mean you have depth at another OL position.

Please notice that I'm not the one that keeps bringing this up and won't just let it drop. I was done with it over a year ago. If you are wondering why this keeps on popping up, ask those who lost the original argument.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Please notice that I'm not the one that keeps bringing this up and won't just let it drop. I was done with it over a year ago. If you are wondering why this keeps on popping up, ask those who lost the original argument.

It seems to me that the issue is that it looks as though you're being intentionally obtuse and refuse to concede the point that having a lot of offensive linemen on scholarship is not the same thing as having good depth at all the positions on the offensive line.  To take the total number of offensive linemen on scholarship and divide that by 5 tells us nothing about depth if 15 out of 18 of the scholarship offensive linemen are centers or guards.  And then to declare that you won the argument when you missed the whole point of the comment and to claim that people are giving you crap about it because they're just 'sore losers' just makes you come across as haughty and stubborn.   

Is your goal on this messageboard just to win the argument, or is it to have a productive discussion so that all parties involved come away with food for thought and, hopefully, a better understanding of things?  Or is your goal to defend Gus Malzahn at all costs?  Personally, I'm ambivalent about Gus.  I think he's been a good coach in a lot of ways, but there are many areas that he needs to improve (managing o-line recruiting being one of them).  I'm still hopeful that he can figure it out (but not optimistic); because, for better or worse,  we're stuck with him for the next few years.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Are we still recruiting Athlete, Enzo Jennings from Oak Park MI? I keep seeing him on different recruiting threads.

You must be checking out Penn State boards then. He enrolled there earlier this month.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/18/19)

Since we have 3 to 4 slots open, do any of you believe they'll all wait until signing day or maybe someone might give his commitment to Auburn early.

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Since we have 3 to 4 slots open, do any of you believe they'll all wait until signing day or maybe someone might give his commitment to Auburn early.

Wouldn't be surprised if Burks & Frazier commit before NSD. Burks to AU. Not sure on Frazier.

I also wish the punter, Evan from Thompson high and or the kicker, Tyler from Troy would sign with Auburn. We need a punter or place-kicker who has a real strong lag.

32 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I also wish the punter, Evan from Thompson high and or the kicker, Tyler from Troy would sign with Auburn. We need a punter or place-kicker who has a real strong lag.

strong lags do win championships

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

We definitely need a punter. We’re about a year away from needing a place kicker.

Archived