2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

4 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

If we subtract Cohen, we have 20 commits and get 5 more this year I assume. So maybe this ?

DL- 2, Rodney comes through at the end like he always does with quality commits he had in his back pocket.

DB- 1, likely George

OL- 1 

BA- 1, best available

Where are we on those last 5 guys ?

If/when Cohen drops we can enroll up to 7 more. We can take up to 27.

1-2 DL - McKinnley Jackson, Dallas Walker, Omari Thomas, Phillip Webb
1 OT - TBD. Could be a Grad Transfer
1 CB - Brian George, Appiah, Eric Reed
1 QB - Jacoby Criswell or Chandler Morris
1 TE - Jeremiah Pegues
0-1 LB - Desmond Tisdol
0-1 PK - Evan McGuire. May walk on til a scholly is open.
1-2 Gus holds for Grad Transfers later

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Btw, Auburn is now ranked #9 on rivals recruiting. Good chance we can finish close to top 5 if we finish strong 

Not really. #8 is likely our ceiling. Texas is right there with us in total points & have 4 less commits. They will likely pass us.

Chad Simmons said an AU commit will get another star this week. My guess is Foster Allen. I've heard the most buzz about his play this year in terms of play exceeding ranking. Also an insider thinks Zierer will get a 4th star when juco updates are done.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not really. #8 is likely our ceiling. Texas is right there with us in total points & have 4 less commits. They will likely pass us.

Even with the four stars we’re still chasing? That sucks but could still be a solid class overall. I consider anyone 1-10 to be championship caliber. Heck clemson was #12 a few years ago I believe 

edit: their 2017 class was #22. Wow 

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Even with the four stars we’re still chasing? That sucks but could still be a solid class overall. I consider anyone 1-10 to be championship caliber. Heck clemson was #12 a few years ago I believe 

Yes. There's a big difference points wise from a high 4* to a low 4* & not much of a difference between a low 4* & most 3*s. McKinnley is the only high 4* we have an average to better to average shot of adding.

4 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

edit: their 2017 class was #22. Wow 

Agreed. Top 10 is the goal. If we hit that- with all the uncertainty around the program this season- and keep addressing our needs like we seem to have at OL, then I'd call it a success. 

Speaking of OL, two of the most important guys in the class are 3* JUCOs. Would be nice to compliment them with 5* freshmen but we've ridden a string of less balanced classes to where we could have been undefeated and #1 in the country right now. 

Sorry. What you said.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes. There's a big difference points wise from a high 4* to a low 4* & not much of a difference between a low 4* & most 3*s. McKinnley is the only high 4* we have an average to better to average shot of adding.

Any chance he commits Friday or do you think he’ll wait until signing day to pick a team? 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Any chance he commits Friday or do you think he’ll wait until signing day to pick a team? 

McKinnley has said for a long time he was committing in February. What made you ask about this Friday?

57 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

I'm guessing we like him at CB since he tagged Coach Woodson in his tweet.

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Rivals said he was visiting AU Friday 

He is taking his OV this weekend. That doesn't mean he is committing.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Why laughing @GwillMac6? We are likely losing 2 OTs committed to us now.

Why not? This kid is the number 1 juco OT in the country. That works for me!

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why not? This kid is the number 1 juco OT in the country. That works for me!

OK. Just wasn’t sure if you were laughing at all the twists and turns our offensive line recruiting has taken this year with taking 6 to 7 and probably dropping two in the process.

I don’t understand why OT has been hard to recruit for Auburn.  Of all the Oline positions that Auburn has sent to the NFL under Gus you’ve had 2 maybe 3 if you count Braden going very early in the draft.  Even if they haven’t planned out they’ve gotten that early round money.

Just now, Win4AU said:

I don’t understand what OT has been hard to recruit for Auburn.  Of all the Oline positions that Auburn has sent to the NFL under Gus you’ve had 2 maybe 3 if you count Braden going very early in the draft.  Even if they haven’t planned out they’ve gotten that early round money.

It is simple. We do not have a good recruiter at this position. It is no wonder we are struggling. Sometimes it is as simple as that.

Just now, Win4AU said:

I don’t understand what OT has been hard to recruit for Auburn.  Of all the Oline positions that Auburn has sent to the NFL under Gus you’ve had 2 maybe 3 if you count Braden going very early in the draft.  Even if they haven’t planned out they’ve gotten that early round money.

2 major problems. 1. Gus not willing to consider any plan Bs for the most part when we missed on our plan As thus ending up with only 1-2 OL in the class. 2. JB has struggled to close on some plan As when he was given to them from other assistants with AU in the lead.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I already consider him gone.  Unless Bama is being noncommittal with him I’m not sure why he hasn’t flipped.  Maybe it’s a good sign that he is still committed but everything he’s put out screams he’s leaving.

Just now, ellitor said:

2 major problems. 1. Gus not willing to consider any plan Bs for the most part when we missed on our plan As thus ending up with only 1-2 OL in the class. 2. JB has struggled to close on some plan As when he was given to them from other assistants with AU in the lead.

Is Dilly not helping with that?  I thought I’d heard that Gus was giving those guys more free reign over the Oline recruits?  How is Kendall Simmons doing?  I figure Gus might keep the all AU train rolling if Grimes decides he’s ready to retire.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It is simple. We do not have a good recruiter at this position. It is no wonder we are struggling. Sometimes it is as simple as that.

It's definitely an issue but it's not that simple. That issue is a secondary one to Gus OL recruiting philosophy. Even with the guys we missed on with JB if Gus had been willing to take more bodies even when Hand was here, who is a good recruiter, we wouldn't be in the position we are in now.

Archived